#1 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 02:47 PM

Hi all,

Looking for some input on what size to go with an engine build.  I initially bought the car with the intent on stage rally (a real basket case in every sense of the word), supposedly it had a 1098 with it, but I've just found out it's actually a 1275.  I'm torn between all the fancy expensive bits I read about or something more sensible.

I suppose I'd like something that makes good hp and can take a real beating - but it most likely will never see a track - at the most some autotest type gravel events.

It's an A+ block, crank is a CAM6232, one cylinder is scored (machine shop said we need to go at least .020 over with the bore) - but I was thinking 1380, anyway.  1380 the way to go?

Thanks,

Pat

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,103 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 May 2024 - 03:40 PM

Go to the smallest overbore you can.

#3 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 03:42 PM

nothing wrong with going to 1380, but bear in mind that once you've (offset) bored that block to 1380 it's questionable whether you would be able to re-sleeve the block if something went wrong

#4 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 05:26 PM

Thanks guys.

If I go 1380 are steel main caps *necessary*?  Only that my machine shop was questioning their tooling for the line boring.

While I understand the reasoning behind going to the smallest overbore...as a toy that I hope to push hard I would want the most power within reason - is that around 100hp?  And stock would be around 75hp?  And to get to the 120hp area you spend all out on that few extra hp.  Are those numbers roughly where it is these days?

Pat

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 05:32 PM

No need to change the caps, assuming you have the originals for the block. Even mains straps are questionable - I know Calver doesn’t use them.
100bhp & 100lbft is achieveable without going daft. 120hp is a harder number to achieve, especially if you want it driveable for road use.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,103 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 06:17 PM

You can use totally standard parts in any 1380 or any other build.

just make sure they are prepped correctly and sized correctly. Just than as you would do for any part if you are an engine builder and not just someone assembling parts.

exotic bit are not needed unless you intend to be abusing the engine in that they might last a little bit longer.

had many a race engine with factory parts.

#7 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 09:09 PM

Grass tracking, with high revs, I always found the fabled 1380 to not produce any more power than a 1340 (really 1330), it might work on a track car but I found with high revs the "blow by" and "block flex" meant I did not achive any more power when I really needed it, if you are not chasing the last HP, I personally would never go beyond the +60 rebore, and this is before blocks became scarce

#8 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 04:32 PM

Excellent info, thanks!  So I think I'll stick with going .060.  I didn't realize blocks were becoming scarce - all I see is that the 'big box stores' for Mini parts always seem to have a large selection of pre-built engines.

Actually, just stumbling on minispares site - their 1310cc 'A plus type 1992 on' engine - made 114hp - sounds pretty good!

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,103 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 05:00 PM

Excellent info, thanks!  So I think I'll stick with going .060.  I didn't realize blocks were becoming scarce - all I see is that the 'big box stores' for Mini parts always seem to have a large selection of pre-built engines.

Actually, just stumbling on minispares site - their 1310cc 'A plus type 1992 on' engine - made 114hp - sounds pretty good!

The reason they have them is there is a hefty surcharge if you don’t have an exchange engine.

#10 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 05:19 PM

Ah, understood.

Also it looks like minispares has the same description on their 1380 - including the 114hp number...I suppose, it's just a number.

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 May 2024 - 06:38 PM

My question is this..Is all this horsepower in the place where you need it to be?Will you have the right gearing to allow this to happen?Just thinking.Steve..

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,103 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 07:20 PM

Ah, understood.

Also it looks like minispares has the same description on their 1380 - including the 114hp number...I suppose, it's just a number.

Again with what head?

the short motors are built by Bill Richards (the business) and some of the heads are made by Keith Calver

i did one of their 1380s with one of Keith’s heads the Evo1 cam with I worked on inlet on a Guessworks rebuilt box with a 3.1 diff and Maniflow exhaust system and the Midas was a well fast tourer on the German autobahns. 

#13 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 02:39 PM

I do have a 1440cc rallycar currently - unfortunately I know nothing about the actual specs.  I would love to tear it all down to figure out exactly what gear ratios, head, etc it has.  I know that it's kind of a beast...ok for it's intended purpose but not a fun car on the street.  Might try to at least get it dyno'd - really curious what power it might make!

Will order the .060 setup from Calver.  Probably get one of his heads when the time comes for that.  Then to work out the intricacies of the gearbox...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users