Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Shock Absorbers


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted 10 July 2026 - 02:30 PM

The more I unpick my mini, the more work I see!

 

The shock absorbers are now 28 years old, they are Monroe branded, they seem ok, but with surface rust, I might just paint them if they are working ok, I will test soon.

 

If I do replace, can anyone recommend good, but reasonably priced ones, I don't need anything fancy. Otherwise I'd probably go for Kayaba gas ones, as sold by Spares.


Edited by beardylondon, 10 July 2026 - 02:31 PM.


#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Location: London

Posted 10 July 2026 - 03:18 PM

I've had the Kabaya Gas-adjusts on mine for more than ten years and am happy with them.


Edited by Quinlan minor, 12 July 2026 - 07:01 PM.


#3 whistler

whistler

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Location: Cardiff

Posted 10 July 2026 - 03:39 PM

KYB Gas-adjusts every time.



#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

    Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,568 posts
  • Location: Cambs.
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 10 July 2026 - 08:06 PM

The old Monroe dampers were excellent. I believe they were also sold as Woodhead-Monroe and I remember using them on a Rally Cooper S back in the '60's.



#5 IronmanG

IronmanG

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Location: Crawley
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 10 July 2026 - 08:22 PM

I have the kyb gas adjusts and I have to say the ride is decent

Edited by IronmanG, 10 July 2026 - 08:23 PM.


#6 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted 11 July 2026 - 12:59 PM

Mine are of 1999 vintage, from local motor factors I seem to remember!

The old Monroe dampers were excellent. I believe they were also sold as Woodhead-Monroe and I remember using them on a Rally Cooper S back in the '60's.



#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted 12 July 2026 - 06:05 PM

Got them off, seem to be working fine, 28-29 years later.

Just need a good sand and a paint…

IMG-6938.jpg

#8 absx2

absx2

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 July 2026 - 06:30 PM

Got them off, seem to be working fine, 28-29 years later.

Just need a good sand and a paint…

IMG-6938.jpg

I have them on my mk3 and the ride and handling are excellent, I think the old saying " if it ain`t broke don`t fix it " applies here quite well  :)



#9 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 July 2026 - 08:18 PM

Monroes are an excellent production shocker, most brand name ones are pretty good. Monroes were making my custom rear shocks, but sadly, they had to up their MOQ 40 sets :blink: . I've gone to another brand, but they are nothing in the world like the Monroes, and while being a name brand, I've already had to replace 2 sets.



#10 Earwax

Earwax

    Super Mini Mad

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Location: Brisbane

Posted 14 July 2026 - 08:42 PM

Just looking at your picture - for my peace of mind - will you check the bottom mount on the picture is not twisted - i know the bottom can rotate but on first glance something struck me as not straight.  Probably just my morning eyes - not filtering between metal and rubber



#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted 15 July 2026 - 12:41 PM

No it’s fine, it’s just the angle of the photo / or lens distortion

#12 tarnofsky

tarnofsky

    On The Road

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Location: Bavaria

Posted 03 October 2026 - 07:08 PM

Have been using KYB Gas-a-just on all my minis since late 90s whenever I replaced shocks. Had only one failure after about 25 years after fitting the dampers: the rubber eye on a rear shocker had degraded and the screw inside it was able to move more than allowable. The shocks themselves (still the old ones in white, should anyone remember...) were all fine when tested on the bench.
To make it short: I can only recommend the Gas-a-justs. Excellent value and performance.



#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Location: Hampshire

Posted 04 October 2026 - 01:28 PM

Thanks. I ended up removing all the old paint from mine and re-painting them, and they look great. Just got to do the rears now!

Edited by beardylondon, 04 October 2026 - 06:25 PM.


#14 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

    Up Into Fourth

  • Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Location: Aberdeenshire
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 04 October 2026 - 06:20 PM

The shockers are only there to dampen the bounce. Most is done with the rubber cones..

Paint them up. Bang em badk on. Check the rubber mounts..




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users