Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Max Permissible Towing Weight


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IronmanG

IronmanG

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Location: Crawley
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 26 July 2026 - 10:57 AM

Does anyone know the maximum weight allowed to be towed. I've seen a teardrop camper that would do well behind my pickup that's 500kg. Also what's the availability on towbar for LWB

#2 68+86auto

68+86auto

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 26 July 2026 - 11:56 AM

The specifications say about 400kg. LWB is even less.



#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

    Moved Into The Garage

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,063 posts
  • Location: Not Yorkshire
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2026 - 05:40 PM

Pick up, estate and van are 303kg. 
 

saloon 404kg

 

unless you have a different weight on your plate/V5

 

Rover never applied for a tow weight as a cost saving issue.

 

note any new bar will need a certification plate on it.

 

Don’t know of any maker in the UK doing approved bars for any Mini.



#4 IronmanG

IronmanG

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Location: Crawley
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 26 July 2026 - 06:26 PM

Pick up, estate and van are 303kg.

saloon 404kg

unless you have a different weight on your plate/V5

Rover never applied for a tow weight as a cost saving issue.

note any new bar will need a certification plate on it.

Don’t know of any maker in the UK doing approved bars for any Mini.


Thanks Nick

#5 cal844

cal844

    Crazy About Mini's

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,734 posts
  • Location: Ballingry, Fife
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 27 July 2026 - 12:27 PM

Watling towbar used to do towbar kits for minis but I'm not sure what's involved in fitting

#6 coopertaz

coopertaz

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Location: west yorkshire
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 28 July 2026 - 08:13 AM

have a tow bar that goes to rear subframe and rear seat base but seem like hens teeth now, also cars from 97 on are not rated for towing



#7 tarnofsky

tarnofsky

    On The Road

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Location: Bavaria

Posted 03 October 2026 - 07:00 PM

I use a Westfalia towbar on my 53 HP SPI. It bolts to the subframe and subframe only. Towing weights were certified by TÜV in Germany at 500kg with brake, 400kg without. 
Rover back in the day had sent a certificate with 400kg/300kg at the time (2001 when I fitted the tow bar) but that wasn't sufficient for me to tow a QEK junior camper, so I went to get an individual permission at TÜV. All depends on the so-called D-Wert (d-value) on the tow bar's approval plate. It denominates how much towing weight the bar can handle. The TÜV engineer calculated the figures for my vehicle individually based on the Westfalia's D-Wert. 
To my knowledge, Westfalia towbars haven't been produced for years but somethimes one turns up on the bay or other online platform. I hope that helps.



#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

    Moved Into The Garage

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,063 posts
  • Location: Not Yorkshire
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 October 2026 - 08:11 PM

I use a Westfalia towbar on my 53 HP SPI. It bolts to the subframe and subframe only. Towing weights were certified by TÜV in Germany at 500kg with brake, 400kg without. 
Rover back in the day had sent a certificate with 400kg/300kg at the time (2001 when I fitted the tow bar) but that wasn't sufficient for me to tow a QEK junior camper, so I went to get an individual permission at TÜV. All depends on the so-called D-Wert (d-value) on the tow bar's approval plate. It denominates how much towing weight the bar can handle. The TÜV engineer calculated the figures for my vehicle individually based on the Westfalia's D-Wert. 
To my knowledge, Westfalia towbars haven't been produced for years but somethimes one turns up on the bay or other online platform. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately the rules in Germany are very different to the UK.

 

In Germany for instance you have the MK1 Mini and every other Mini after that is classed as a MK2. Even the Rover Minis.

 

in the UK Rover did not test/approve the Last Minis for towing so they are not legally permitted to tow.

 

towing rules are very different over the world, please always do not presume that as you can do it it is legal everywhere.

 

IIRC Belgium has a specific rule that would catch many people out regarding the brake arrester wire.



#9 whistler

whistler

    Camshaft & Stage Two Head

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Location: Cardiff

Posted 04 October 2026 - 03:16 PM

 

I use a Westfalia towbar on my 53 HP SPI. It bolts to the subframe and subframe only. Towing weights were certified by TÜV in Germany at 500kg with brake, 400kg without. 
Rover back in the day had sent a certificate with 400kg/300kg at the time (2001 when I fitted the tow bar) but that wasn't sufficient for me to tow a QEK junior camper, so I went to get an individual permission at TÜV. All depends on the so-called D-Wert (d-value) on the tow bar's approval plate. It denominates how much towing weight the bar can handle. The TÜV engineer calculated the figures for my vehicle individually based on the Westfalia's D-Wert. 
To my knowledge, Westfalia towbars haven't been produced for years but somethimes one turns up on the bay or other online platform. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately the rules in Germany are very different to the UK.

 

In Germany for instance you have the MK1 Mini and every other Mini after that is classed as a MK2. Even the Rover Minis.

 

in the UK Rover did not test/approve the Last Minis for towing so they are not legally permitted to tow.

 

towing rules are very different over the world, please always do not presume that as you can do it it is legal everywhere.

 

IIRC Belgium has a specific rule that would catch many people out regarding the brake arrester wire.

 

I agree. I have a Skoda Citigo which is not rated for a towbar so none for sale here. Bought one off ebay from Germany. As you say, different rules for UK.



#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

    Moved Into The Garage

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,063 posts
  • Location: Not Yorkshire
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 October 2026 - 06:04 PM

 

 

I use a Westfalia towbar on my 53 HP SPI. It bolts to the subframe and subframe only. Towing weights were certified by TÜV in Germany at 500kg with brake, 400kg without. 
Rover back in the day had sent a certificate with 400kg/300kg at the time (2001 when I fitted the tow bar) but that wasn't sufficient for me to tow a QEK junior camper, so I went to get an individual permission at TÜV. All depends on the so-called D-Wert (d-value) on the tow bar's approval plate. It denominates how much towing weight the bar can handle. The TÜV engineer calculated the figures for my vehicle individually based on the Westfalia's D-Wert. 
To my knowledge, Westfalia towbars haven't been produced for years but somethimes one turns up on the bay or other online platform. I hope that helps.

Unfortunately the rules in Germany are very different to the UK.

 

In Germany for instance you have the MK1 Mini and every other Mini after that is classed as a MK2. Even the Rover Minis.

 

in the UK Rover did not test/approve the Last Minis for towing so they are not legally permitted to tow.

 

towing rules are very different over the world, please always do not presume that as you can do it it is legal everywhere.

 

IIRC Belgium has a specific rule that would catch many people out regarding the brake arrester wire.

 

I agree. I have a Skoda Citigo which is not rated for a towbar so none for sale here. Bought one off ebay from Germany. As you say, different rules for UK.

 

Up Suzuki swift sport bought in Sweden. No tow bar available. move to Germany. Avalable good for 1000kg tow weight. (Total not plated weight). UK no idea sold car still have tow bar and wiring.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users