Timken Rear Bearings And The Spacer.
#1
Posted Today, 01:36 PM
The description says remove the spacer (if fitted) then remove the outer races etc.
How come some are fitted with a spacer and some without?
Is it not needed?
#2
Posted Today, 05:07 PM
Don't see how they'd work without one, tightening the nut clamps the inner races against the stub axle to prevent them spinning & that requires the spacer in the middle. The only bearings I've seen without a separate spacer have it built in to the inner races.
#3
Posted Today, 05:20 PM
The Timken bearings come with a built in spacer, plus a shim if required, if your hubs are out of spec ( or possibly aftermarket ones )
Shooter
#4
Posted Today, 06:01 PM
They are going in alloy hubs which have a raised section halfway down inside which the outer race sits on both sides.
The only other bits in the kit are a rear seal and a 1-2mm o ring around 25mm diameter which I dont know what thats for either 😁
Minispares says there is a spacer in the kit but doesn't show one and neither does the minisport listing. Otherwise the pictures show exactly what i got in the kit.
Edited by Gaz66, Today, 06:13 PM.
#5
Posted Today, 06:46 PM
The "spacer" seems to be built into the inner races as ive just noticed 🤔
Edited by Gaz66, Today, 06:48 PM.
#6
Posted Today, 07:15 PM
Yes, on the originals (with a spacer) the inner & outer races were equal in width. The cost was justified by them supposedly sorting through the bearings to put together matched sets to give the exact specified width for the correct preload.
#7
Posted Today, 08:26 PM
The original Tapered Rear Wheel Bearing Assemblies consisted of standard tapered roller bearings and a separate spacer. This is likely what is presently on your car. Later bearing assemblies had 1/2 of the spacer added to the Bearing Cones, thus, doing away with the separate part. I'm not sure why they did this, but I'm sure they had their reasons.
The 'added' bits I've shown here;-
RearBearingAssembliesWM.JPG 60.26K
0 downloads
So, in short, these use no separate spacer.
#8
Posted Today, 08:52 PM
The original Tapered Rear Wheel Bearing Assemblies consisted of standard tapered roller bearings and a separate spacer. This is likely what is presently on your car. Later bearing assemblies had 1/2 of the spacer added to the Bearing Cones, thus, doing away with the separate part. I'm not sure why they did this, but I'm sure they had their reasons.
The 'added' bits I've shown here;-
RearBearingAssembliesWM.JPG
So, in short, these use no separate spacer.
👍🏻 They look like my new ones I'd say.
The confusion of the minispares description saying there is a spacer included didnt help things 😁
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users











