Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Steering Rack Bush Replacement.


Best Answer Spider , 04 October 2026 - 09:50 PM

All the photos in the FAQ should now be visible, I've also up-dated a bit of the info, in particular the grade of Oil that should be used.

Go to the full post


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yellow 850

Yellow 850

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Nuneaton

Posted 30 September 2026 - 01:41 PM

Attempting to change the nylon bush at the end of the steering rack.

Watched a video on YT which made it look easy, however, there isn't any way that I can see to extract the old bush.

I've removed the locking screw and wound the rack in as far as it will go but the end of the rack doesn't clear the old bush so there's no way to grip it to extract it.

Any ideas or tips?

Thanks.



#2 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 September 2026 - 05:28 PM

You can find a guide on overhauling the rack here;-

 

https://www.theminif...l-uk-type-mkii/

 

In your case, is the rack still fitted to the car ?

 

If the rack is still mostly assembled, there is a tool I made (based off a factory item) that can pull the bush with the rack assembled (and on car). It's a thin wall tube that is a neat fit over the inner rack and has a tapered thread on one end and a through hole on the other. You'd start off by winding the rack all the way over to diver's side, then put the tube over the inner rack and screw it in to the bush, hopefully it will get a decent grip in to it, then putting a rid (phillips driver is good) through the hole that's cross drilled through the tube and wind the rack back the other way, it - hopefully ! - pulls the bush with it. Sometimes the small steel tube that the bush is fitted in to is stuck firm, and no matter how hard you might try, this just won't work, at this point, you need to disassemble the whole rack and put something through from the driver's end to bash it out, again, this is possible with the rack in the car.

 

I'll try and remember to post up a photo of the tool a little later.

 

This technique is fine if the rack is otherwise in good order. You can replace almost all other parts of the rack with it fitted in car, however, the upper pinion bearing is one part that you'll struggle (read: won't) be able to remove, if you find you can, then the rack body is distorted or worn and the whole rack needs to be replaced in any case.



#3 Yellow 850

Yellow 850

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Nuneaton

Posted 30 September 2026 - 06:40 PM

Many thanks Spider.

A picture of the tool would be great, thanks.

Also thanks for the link, however, it says the images aren't viewable in my region (i'm in the UK)?



#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

    One Carb Or Two?

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Location: London

Posted 30 September 2026 - 07:00 PM

Many thanks Spider.

A picture of the tool would be great, thanks.

Also thanks for the link, however, it says the images aren't viewable in my region (i'm in the UK)?

Load the page behind a VPN.

Using USA as a location, the photos load.



#5 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 October 2026 - 06:41 AM

This is the tool I made for removing the Bush in situ;-

 

 

Attached File  BushRemovingToolWM.JPG   17.79K   3 downloads

 

I made it this length to make it easier to get the tool to bite in to the bush, I can tap it in as I turn it, it's often difficult to get it to get that first bite in to the bush. The drilled hole is position such that when the tool is screwed in and bit the bush, this hole is about 5 or so mm past the end of the rack when it's would all the way over to the driver's side, in this way, little travel is lost that's used to pull the bush, as there's only about enough travel to be able to do this.

 

The factory tool is quite short and has no hole (closed end). I've used one and found it being as short as it was, made a difficult job harder.



#6 Yellow 850

Yellow 850

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Nuneaton

Posted 01 October 2026 - 07:16 AM

Much appreciated Spider, thanks.



#7 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 October 2026 - 06:02 PM

I've been going through the thread in FAQ uploading the photos direct to the forum, I'll get them all done over the next few days (there's about 130 pics) but I have gotten as far as removing the bush to date, it might be helpful if the tool suggested above doesn't work out.



#8 Yellow 850

Yellow 850

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Nuneaton

Posted 02 October 2026 - 07:10 PM

I've been going through the thread in FAQ uploading the photos direct to the forum, I'll get them all done over the next few days (there's about 130 pics) but I have gotten as far as removing the bush to date, it might be helpful if the tool suggested above doesn't work out.

 

Much appreciated  :highfive:



#9 Spider

Spider

    Moved Into The Garage

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • Location: NSW
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 October 2026 - 09:50 PM   Best Answer

All the photos in the FAQ should now be visible, I've also up-dated a bit of the info, in particular the grade of Oil that should be used.



#10 Yellow 850

Yellow 850

    Learner Driver

  • Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Location: Nuneaton

Posted 05 October 2026 - 07:23 AM

Awesome post Spider.

So grateful for you doing that.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users