Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Battery Terminals On Uprated Batteries


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Septimus

Septimus

    Just On Tickover

  • Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Location: Staffordshire

Posted Today, 06:49 PM

Hi all. I have been looking through all the many forum posts about uprated batteries but none of them seem to point out that the battery terminals are reversed in position. So the position of the positive on a standard 038 battery is where the negative terminal is on 063, 065 and 075 batteries.
This means that all uprated batteries have to be turned round so terminals are near the back wall of the battery box.
I know many people have put these uprated batteries in their cars so are there any tips on positioning the connections to stop possible shorting with the battery box. It all feels a bit unsafe to me but I am a recent Mini owner so appreciate some guidance.

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • Location: Dagenham

Posted Today, 08:44 PM

why would it short?  the boot floor and battery box are all painted, I assume?  and once fitted the battery has a bracing strap to hold it firmly in place?  the + connection shoud have or can have a plastic cap fitted in case of anything metal in the boot sliding in there and shorting between the two terminals, which is equal risk whatever way around it's fitted?  I can't see it being a problem myself

 

if you don't have a plastic cap on your + connection, you could mitigate the minimal risk by covering it with some duct tape or something maybe?


Edited by stuart bowes, Today, 08:45 PM.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    gazza82