Jump to content


Photo

Partial Inner Wing Replacement Tips?


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aus

Aus

    Mini Mad

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClubJersey

Posted Today, 09:26 AM

I'm looking to replace the front end but I don't need to replace the whole of the inner wings to the door/A-panel but I'd like to replace them with new metal from the edge of the scuttle panel forward.

I was thinking about cutting straight down from the back edge of the wing lip and drilling out the relevant spot welds to the bulkhead and possibly the back edge of the lower dash rail.

I have the full Inner wing panels and was thinking of cutting then about 10-15mm back from the end of the wing lip straight down then using a joggler to put in a lip on the back edge of the new panel so I can overlap the back edge of the cut down new inner wing panel with the remaining part of the old inner wing on the car and then run a row of plug welds down the overlap to join the panels.

Does this sound about right or should I do something else? Should I also seam weld the edges of the overlap, if so do I do it on bothe edges of the overlap (ie inside and outside the car or just one side?

Any tips would be really appreciated

Thanks

#2 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
  • Location: Dagenham

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

I'm no expert but it seems to me the requirements would be dictated by the condition of the existing panels, and that is something that is easier to assess visually rather than by written description

 

would be useful if you can share pictures of the inner wings as they currently are, then someone can advise accordingly

 

info on posting pics - https://www.theminif...-tmf/?p=3772558

 

maybe also add in some mspaint annotations on where you're planning to cut so it's more visually obvious what you mean


Edited by stuart bowes, Today, 10:47 AM.


#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

    One Carb Or Two?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Location: Surrey
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted Today, 12:02 PM

I would personally suggest if you are going to all that trouble, replace the whole inner wing if you have the panel. It is hard to assess the condition of the top of the inner wing where it goes under the scuttle panel and they do usually rust there. Also from my experience the outer edges do rust as the get all the road spray from the front wheels. If you do the whole panel and protect it properly you will have a good repair that will last years.

If I were only changing part of the panel I would butt weld it not overlap (more chance of a future moisture trap) it and it needs to be a seem weld for safety. 



#4 crossthread

crossthread

    Passed Test

  • TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Location: Exeter

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

I agree with slidehammer, if any panel on a car is cut and a part panel is fitted it must be continuously seam welded. Any thing else is unsafe and an MOT failure.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    weef