#1 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

Hello to all,

My name is Patrick, still living in the Netherlands and since decemer 2005 I own a 1971 Mini 850. Some months ago the shell became rustfree and I started measuring everything out to get the frame in. The frame is measured out perfectly and bolted into the Mini.

In the following posts I will add some pictures and comment.

Hope you will enjoy it.

#2 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

December 2005:
I saved her from going to the junkyard. Everything was original and rusted....

Attached File  DSC02094_SCALED.JPG   66.11K   26 downloads Attached File  DSC02106_SCALED.JPG   67.7K   20 downloads

Januar 2006:
After a battle of at least 2 days (all bolts and nuts were very rusted) the complete front subframe came out.

Attached File  DSC021061_HPIM0593_SCALED.JPG   73.01K   80 downloads

Februar 2006:
Rented a large van, went to Gent (Belgium) to visit Chris at a local old-timer exhibition to pick up the ZCars frame and all extra parts. Chris, if you read this topic, thanks for taking it with you to Belgium.

Attached File  DSC02238_SCALED.JPG   78.32K   28 downloads

March 2006:
Started cutting everything out that is not needed anymore to get rid of lots of rust.

Attached File  DSC02234_SCALED.JPG   67.18K   14 downloads

Between April 2006 and July 2006:
I welded some frames to take it to a higher level. Uhm ok, the Mini went up to about 65cm from the ground so I have enough space underneath it.

Attached File  DSC02377_scaled.JPG   111.14K   22 downloads

August 2006:
Started with cutting out the complete front floor and to get new floor pans in. Also the crossmember, hinge panels (both sides) and innerwings (both sides) had to be grinded out because it was too rusted.

Attached File  DSC02380_scaled.JPG   143.27K   23 downloads Attached File  IMAGE_00013_SCALED.jpg   75.03K   20 downloads

Between September 2006 and begin November 2006:
The new hinge panels, innerwings, complete front floor and crossmember are welded in. Also the valance is cut out and replaced with new fresh metal. Last week I could not sort out my mind and now I am designing a frame (squared tubes) that will replace the crossmember. Begin November 2006 I cut out one of the last rusted pieces of floor and welded new sheetmetal in its place.

Attached File  DSC02525_SCALED.JPG   71.25K   23 downloads Attached File  DSC02534_SCALED.JPG   62.83K   47 downloads

Attached File  DSC02546_SCALED.JPG   72.15K   62 downloads

Mid November 2006:
I received a messages from my Mini parts supplier that they had something from me and it would cost me all my savings, but it is worth every GBP.

Attached File  DSC02558_SCALED.JPG   59.14K   37 downloads

December 2006:
Finally I made up my mind and I will go for 15" wheels. The ZCars frame is put in and I removed the doorskins to reveal the inside of the 35 year old doors. When I took it off a voice in head kept telling me that it was better to get rid of these doors and get the fiberglass doors. But I want to keep these doors and will fix them up. They will come out nice when the doors are finished.

Attached File  DSC02619_SCALED.JPG   85.63K   103 downloads Attached File  DSC02613_SCALED.JPG   64.39K   84 downloads

Next pictures are about test fitting the 15" wheels to see it clears all parts. I need a set of adapter of 30mm thick and must also change the bolt pattern from 4x4" to 4x100. Last weekend I have done this with AutoCad, next weekend I will get a set of 16 studbolts (M12) and then I can mill them.

Attached File  DSC02624_SCALED.JPG   57.38K   27 downloads Attached File  DSC02637_SCALED.JPG   65.36K   114 downloads

Edited by Poly_Patje, 09 December 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#3 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

Well done for taking the plunge Patrick!!

Great job on getting rid of the rust!! Looks like there was plenty of it to keep you busy!! :-

Looks like your certainly going about it in the right way! Plenty of space is always a huge help! :crazy:

Ade

#4 jaapio1984

jaapio1984

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local Club: MSCN

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

heey patrick..

Second one in holland.. rennesy from minisevenclub nederland is also working on one..

Maybe u can get intouch with eachother..

Project looks great

Jaapio

#5 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hey Jaapio,

We do have contact by mail and msn. Second one? I think I'm the first one in Holland, cause it already started Januar this year and got the kit in Februar. Rennesy started in October this year (10 months later).

At the moment it looks like I will finish the build before Rennesy does (I hope so). Next month I will work on the wheel adaptors to change the bolt pattern to 4x100. When this is done, the mini can stand on its new wheels again. After this I can continu with the metal arches, carbonfiber parts for the inside including a carbon fiber bulkhead to reduce weight.

Hope to continu soon again so I can post updates. It looks like many users of this forum are not interested in my project, except Ade and you. Ok, I contacted Ade somewhere around May this year with some questions about his alloy floor with his Minus.

Thanks for you interest,

Patrick

#6 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

I do follow your project too!

I'm the third one in Holland to be exact. There are two brothers who are building a Z-cars mini to. They make good progress. Kit is in and body is finished by now I think. I'm the first with a VTEC conversion...... :D

Interest from others on this forum is sometimes slim indeed. Not many repley's on my topic either...... lots of people wacth it though.
But what do you want then? 100.000 'keep up the good work' or 'Looking good/great' ??? Most of them are here to assist in problem solving..... Then these guys are handy!

Keep it friendly, I want to come to a Zcars meet someday!

Still, Pat you're doing good! Looking forward to your updates.

René

Edited by Renessy, 30 December 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#7 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:40 PM

Patrick....Nicely done...I'm over in the States doing a busa Zcars build myself....Stage 2, ITS 54mm turbo job..........Can you please tell me what is that a pic of in ( 59.14k ) ?????
Thanks...................Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeee..........

#8 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:59 AM

Looks like a dry sump setup to me.

#9 jaapio1984

jaapio1984

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Local Club: MSCN

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:47 AM

sorry pat, got confused with hayabusa and VTEC... I hope.. when i finshed school, i can save money to get my own..

Good luck both of you..

Regards,

Jaapio

#10 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

Patrick....Nicely done...I'm over in the States doing a busa Zcars build myself....Stage 2, ITS 54mm turbo job..........Can you please tell me what is that a pic of in ( 59.14k ) ?????
Thanks...................Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeee..........

Hey Willie, that is the dry sump kit from TTS Performance (located in GB) with a high oil pressure pump and a high flow electric waterpump. It is a good designed kit and I hope to save my egine from any kind of oil surge when cornering. It is used on many dragbikes and saved lots of these engines from oil surge. It is an expensive kit, but it is worth every penny.

Here is the link to the actual TTS Performance Dry Sump system. It cost a total of 2300 euros. The total price went up because of the large special oil tank which is designed for racing.

#11 Willie

Willie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

I'm thinking of running an " Accusump " oil accumulator 2 or 3 quart....This will prime the lump so you don't have dry starts as well as keeping it lubed in the turns..You can get this for under $ 300.00 US ...But don't get me wrong Dry sump is another way of getting r done....A bit pricy though....

Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

have you been eating your oleabulla and apple strudles tonight ?

#13 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hi Willie,

You might want to consider adding a pan baffle to prevent aeration and to keep the oil in the pan where it is supposed to be - even if you use an accusump...try www.downsengineering.com, which is where I got mine from.

I recommend also their increased pressure oil pressure regulator and overdrive oil pump gear - gotta keep the pressure up, and according to Mike Downs (who builds Busas for race cars for a living), other than stock rods bending (which you have addressed with your Carillos), the most common failure is oil starvation on Busas in cars.....so any added insurance is good in my book.

You might want to call Mike up to chat before you buy the accusump too - he talked me out of getting one as the Busa motor even with the oiling mods does not have enough excess capacity to fill an accusump, especially one as big as you're talking about. He does sell an increased capacity oil pump though.......707-938-1011

Cheers,

Aric

I'm thinking of running an " Accusump " oil accumulator 2 or 3 quart....This will prime the lump so you don't have dry starts as well as keeping it lubed in the turns..You can get this for under $ 300.00 US ...But don't get me wrong Dry sump is another way of getting r done....A bit pricy though....

Willieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............

Edited by Monte Busa, 01 January 2007 - 01:22 AM.

#14 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Ok, made some progress. Welded the bars for over the floorpan.

Instead of putting her on a diet, I added a total weight of 16 kg.

Attached File  IMG_0963.jpg   72.62K   75 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0969.jpg   51.48K   51 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0979.jpg   73.48K   61 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0971.jpg   75.25K   73 downloads

Hopefully I will make lots of progress in April, but welding this frame in, get the complete ZCars in and putting the front wheelhubs together to get the Mini on 'her' wheels again.

Edited by Poly_Patje, 22 March 2007 - 08:40 PM.

#15 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Ok, the past months I sorted some things out and started welding the frame that goes ontop of the floor instead of the original crossmember.

Here are some pictures.

Attached File  IMG_1183.jpg   233.6K   85 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1215.jpg   279.8K   40 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1228.jpg   239.89K   70 downloads

Now this is done, the frame and rollcage bars can be put back in. After this is done, I can start welding a small frame to bolt onto the rear vallance to make feel more solid. When this is alligned I can finally start with the new steel wheelarches, putting the doorskins back on the doorframes and into the shell. I hope to have all of this finished within a couple weeks but I'm afraid that is 2 months will pass before it is finished.

Ok, a bonus photo...

Attached File  IMG_1112.jpg   254.45K   136 downloads

Some (positive) input and/or advise would be nice :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users