15 replies to this topic

#1 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

well i changed the oil in my dashpot to 3 in 1 today, i used engine oil before but was told it picks up better with 3 in 1. thought i'd check my timing, about 40 degrees.

better change that. used the strobe couldnt get it right for ages, of course that was because i forgot to take off the vac pipe.

what should my timing be on a 1989 998? 8 or 10 degrees? i dont have a rev counter. i'm supposed to set it to 1500 rpm? i have no way of doing this, can anyone explain a good way of doing it without a rev counter.

what should i be listening out for?

and i am a tard, but what is pinking? whats it sound like? if i tarded the timing the engine just bogged and there was a huge flat spot. advancing it got better but then the ide went up loads. plus i didnt want to advance it too much as i didnt know if its bad for the engine.

took it for a drive and my exhaust popped, this is cause of the leak at the manifold though. never done it before. the engine sounds different now, almost like its louder, especially the induction roar because i have a cone filter.

if my foot is flat on the floor it nearly deafans me. is this because of the thinner oil or to do with the timing?

i'm tempted to change the oil back but want to keep it.

anyway, i have searched so if anyone could answer my questions i would be very appreciative.

just a retards guide to doing it all properly should be good, and what to listen out for.

and my head unit has decided to give up on me, approx 1 month after the warranty run out, so anyone know anything about dead hu's please look in the ice section.

thank you all very much,
Stef

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:21 AM

if your engine is pinking it sounds like a click click clikc going on when you load up the engine!! if your engine is running low on compression its totally possible the timing has been advanced to counter this!! (some heads were cast with big chambers and not machined down, i have a cooper head that would be more suitable in a turbo than a n/a engine)

i have seen a 998 engine running fine at 30deg advance at tickoverwithout vac pipe! and it made 49bhp at the wheels! if it wasnt making a pinkiing noise then put it all back to ehere it was!! going with the rule if it aint broke then dont fix it!!

#3 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:32 AM

right, so rule of thumb is advance it and when i hear a click noise back it off?

then set the idle, then re check?

was me that did it before, then fiddled with the idle so the advance shot up.

i know it wasnt perfect before, worse now though!

and i have to do it at 1500 rpm, or just a fast idle? like when i pull the choke out in the morning for a few mins?

edit: for the pinking u say loaded, is that when driving or just rev up the engine?

Edited by stef, 13 December 2006 - 01:34 AM.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:38 AM

engine under load!! ERR !! well up a hill at 20mph in 3rd gear is a very heavy load in the engine!! but literally accelerating under throttle if u hear a sound like a little hammer on the block or a tick!! you'll know it hen you hear it!! then retart the timing a bit and try again!!

a free rev out of gear is not loading the engine at all really!!

#5 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:44 AM

haha i love how your always the one to answer my questions at like 1 in the morning, i swear its the only time i post.

ok cool, think i may have heard it earlier when i was setting it up.

so its ok to set it as advanced as i want as long as theres no pinking?

and a fast idle is ok yes?

cheers dude,
Stef

#6 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

on your head be it but yes!! thats what i would do!! and yes i am a fellow insomniac, usually on here til about 2am posting like a rabbit on forum post steroids!! hehe good luck!

#7 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:06 AM

see, i'm just lazy, i see people that have been here for a couple of months withs a million billion posts.

i really should contribute more, but i usually get it wrong :D

cheers mate

#8 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:07 AM

technically thats me, i joined the forum ages ago but only started posting in september i think! now im rated as love minis but have no life!!

Edited by fikus01, 13 December 2006 - 02:08 AM.

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

also, a word on dashpot oil, put some 10w40 in, this is a good thin oil to start with. if it needs thinning then add some 3-1, I doubt running on 3-1 alone would be thick enough to get the smooth response you want.

#10 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:05 PM

(snip) i dont have a rev counter. i'm supposed to set it to 1500 rpm? i have no way of doing this, can anyone explain a good way of doing it without a rev counter.
(snip)

If you get yourself a decent multimeter (still no need to pay more than about 20 quid though) - it'll have an RPM function. You hook it up to the coil, and then not only do you have a revcounter, but it's under the bonnet with you so you don't need a rubber neck! Look for one with a dwell function too, and you can set your points with it as well.

#11 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

(snip) i dont have a rev counter. i'm supposed to set it to 1500 rpm? i have no way of doing this, can anyone explain a good way of doing it without a rev counter.
(snip)

If you get yourself a decent multimeter (still no need to pay more than about 20 quid though) - it'll have an RPM function. You hook it up to the coil, and then not only do you have a revcounter, but it's under the bonnet with you so you don't need a rubber neck! Look for one with a dwell function too, and you can set your points with it as well.

Any recomendations for a multimeter, I had a great one years ago but they all seem to be digital now and the numbers jump about so much it is virtually worthless!!

#12 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

3-1 alone would be thick enough to get the smooth response you want.

I've always used 3-in-1 worked great for me.

#13 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

i used to use just 3 in 1 to remove the nececity for a different spring in the carb for a stg 1 kit!!

#14 minibob

minibob

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

My mini does not have a rev counter so I got this multimeter from maplin so I could tune the timing:

UT105 Automotive Multimeter cost just over 26 notes

Just connect the little clips, one to the coil and one to ground, set the meter to the rmp setting and switch it on.

#15 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:40 AM

cheers, but for the price that multimeter will cost me i'd rather wait and buy a tacho for the extra pennies.

anywho did my timing again today, running much better now, bout as advanced as i can get it because the idle is too high otherwise.

am going to change my oil back though, or run a mix of both.

and the guys at the shop said they mighjt be able to fix my hu under warranty even tho its not. so thats good =)

happy day today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users