#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Evening,

Think all my ... "spirited" country driving have caught up with El Gordo and she's developed a clunk which I believe to be a loose/worn ball joint. Problem is I can't fit it until Thursday/Friday when I have a day or two off to fix it.

Will I do massive amount of damage driving with a worn ball joint? It's got to last till Thursday at lest. Also should I re-shim it or just replace it?

Final thing, do you use a socket or a spnner to get the ball joint off? I mean the 1st time I did it was with a Stilton wrench.

Ta chaps and lady's.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

i wouldn't drive it just incase mate, maybe reshim and re grease for the next two days.... but i wouldn't like to.

and you're meant to use a long reach 1.5" socket if i remeber correctly, been a while since i did ball joints...

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

ah, so it is 1.5inch. They got a spanner and a socket for it on mini spares. Think I might go with the spanner for personal pref and I know it would fit over the top part of the ball joint.

Back to the ball joint, I can't fix it till Thursday. I've not got time. Got college one Tue. Wed and Thursday so ....sorta bugged on that front.

#4 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Humm, hard one really, are you sure its the ball joint? you must have time to just jack the car up and wobble the wheel.

I dont want to comment on weather you should drive it or not, but if it did break, i have been told with some bad luck you could flip a car....

Dave

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well the clonk was coming from the driver side wheel so I jacked up El Gordo and wiggled the wheel. It moved. At that point I started to C**p myself thinking it was a bearing and took the wheel and drum off. Wiggled the flange and there was no movement, wiggle the backplate there was wiggle. Had a look and the bottom ball joint was moving a fair bit.

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

yes, double post.

So seeming as I want to order a few bits I best put a ball joint set in too then. yes?

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

jack the car up and leave the wheel on.

wedge the pole from your trolley jack(or large screwdriver etc etc ) unde rthewhel and lift it a bit. if it lifts the whole wheel and suspension etc then it aint the ball joints. if it wiggles a bit then you should see and hear the ball joints moving.

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

I know it moves. I've seen it. I wiggles it meself.

#9 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

i wiggles it meself haha

reminds me of smeegle ha

#10 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:14 AM

so confirming; I need to buy some new ball joints then?

#11 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:35 AM

DO NOT drive the car until you get this fixed. You really don't want to see what damage can be done from a dodgy ball joint. The last one I saw which had been driven with dodgy ball joints had most of the wing missing and the hub had almost completely sheered on that side.

If you knowingly drive a dangerous car and something happens, you're going to injure yourself and other people and I'm sure your insurance company wouldn't be too happy about paying out either.

Catch the bus and spend the £10 getting a replacement fitted ASAP.

#12 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

again, can't not dive El Gordo as it's the only mode of transport I have, I am going to see if my dad will let me borrow his car for tomorrows college as it's a long day.

#13 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

and Le' Bump!

Ello once more.

Well I did the ball joint and it certainly cut down the clonk noise but its still there on big bump. I was thinking could it be the lower bump stops for the suspension as I know their a bit screwed from years of use.

Or perhaps the top ball joint?

#14 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:28 PM

Or perhaps the top ball joint?

Adam i think it's general practice to ensure safety, and for your own peace of mind when driving.. to replace them in pairs.

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Well.....I didn't know that.

Ah well. Best do that soon too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users