Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

helo!

I'm in need of getting my wheels powder coating... I'm sure hammrite isn't up to the job.... or is it?

I have 4 10x6 KN Murcary's, I'd like Matt/Satin Black if possable...
Anyone here able to do this for me... willing and paying :D Will cover all costs, postage etc....

Cheers
Mart

#2 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

Where are you based. Theres a powder coating firm just down the road from my house. They are fair priced. I can pop in one day and get you a quote if you want?

<|ben|>

#3 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:34 AM

Where are you based. Theres a powder coating firm just down the road from my house. They are fair priced. I can pop in one day and get you a quote if you want?

<|ben|>

dont suppose wheels can be powder coated in white can they? also can the powder coat be done over a little body filler?

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

You can poweder coat in any colour you can get poweder in. SO white is available yes. You cannot powdercoat over filler due to they head of the curing oven and the electrostatic charge required to get the powder to stick to the metal.

#5 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

They do Any colour you want. Metalic or Flat. Even Annodised and Chroming.

<|Ben|>

#6 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

hammerite is fine. I used it on my revos and the 100+ ones in my avatar. I'd rather use hammerite than powder coat anyway - if you chip powdercoat then its fubar'd, you can just touch up hamerite if need be. And its cheaper!

#7 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi

Id say powder coating is the best way to go. I painted mine (remember u have to use special alloy primer if you go to bare metal) using hammerite for the backs and rattle cans for the fronts. Gave them a generous coat of colour and then lacquer, they looked awesome but the brake dust on the fronts just wrecked the paint and took off the shine!! I painted mine white so wasn’t a major problem, but expect to see the paint chip slightly and loose its shine after a few months.

Powder coating for mine was quoted at 40 quid a wheel!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

#8 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

<|ben|>

If this is the same one i am thinking of I got a MR2 rear subframe and a few other bits like ARB's all done for £50 and i had the same day turn around.

VERY good!

#9 advantage998

advantage998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Powder coating can be used over lead, so you could repair minor damage using lead loading.

#10 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

Powder coating can be used over lead, so you could repair minor damage using lead loading.

Gotta be careful on wheels though, if you use a fair bit it might throw the balance right off.

#11 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

hmmmm powder coated :D

Posted Image

my wheels were done in a place in my town and it was bout £40 a wheel, this was for sand or shot blasting (i can't remember which) then bead blasting then powder coated. However on steel wheels they do not need to be bead blasted. so will cost slighty less. I highley recommend it because it does not chip as easily as if you spray canned them and is and excellent finish.

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:49 PM

Personally I don't think powder coat is that great, especially on steel wheels. It can chip quite easily, and as soon as water or rust gets underneath it, it will peel off in long strips!

#13 cap'n crunch

cap'n crunch

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

Personally I don't think powder coat is that great, especially on steel wheels. It can chip quite easily, and as soon as water or rust gets underneath it, it will peel off in long strips!

My brother had is 106 rallye wheels (steel by the way) powder coated and it has been fine it has been about a year sine they were done. They would be slightly better if he was to wash them more often so the brake dust did not attack the paint :D . We did try spraying them but that did chip off far far far to easily and was not such a good finish.

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Just be very careful with salt then. We use powder coating at work for the majority of the steel doors we make (its a customer option). We have problems when they go to coastal areas, and we've had a couple of cases where items have rusted within a few months of installation even with powder coating.

#15 JimCooper

JimCooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch Mini Owner's Club

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

There's a powdercoaters in Birmingham called Bournes that do wheels for £15 each, have used them a few times and whilst their finish is not 100% its damn good for the money:

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users