Photo

Re spray, i want one but dunno where to look!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:38 PM

Hey all
rite my clubman is in dier need of a respray and all the rust gettin rid of. I have already had a quote for £2000 which seemed very very steep to me, this included:
new a panels, drivers wing, new metal welded in at the rear on both sides, deseamed rear so can run de bumpered, paint (porsche yellow and citroen pasonda blue) and fitment of group 5 arches!
Now im not sure most of the stuff there needs replacing so im looking for a compay who have past experience on minis, near the leicestershire area (but not too fussed on traveling far) and can do a better quote for less than £2000!!!!!
I can get pics of all the problem areas for you guys who know of or actually do spray for a living/past time!
Im willing to pay upto £800 (maby a bit more)
Cheers for the help and any names of places an numbers would b jus as gud!
cheers

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:51 PM

£2000 seens extremely steep but if the jobs a good1 then it softens the blow a bit, you will be having a lot of work done so i think more like £1200 is what u r looking for with a complete respray and the work that u want doing, this cost can always be cut down if u can do things urself, which if ur a novice will make teh finish less desirable but you can only try your best

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:21 PM

800 is a bit low... for 800 you'll get someone to do a job which won't be better than my plan B :)

plan B, go to a place where if they were to do all the work for 1000-1200 or so, which is rather reasonable, and have them guide you on how to prep the body. This may or may not include: Stripping paint, sanding, cutting out panels, fillering, priming.. The more you do yourself the more you save. There are places which will actually tell you waht you need to do, you do it, come back, if its not good enough to their standards, they'll guide you further. That way you save and you learn.

That will be your optimal position as for 800 pounds you wont get away with a full respray (a good one), and replacing rusty panels!

#4 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:19 PM

A friend of mine had a full new front end, full respray inc prep work for £750 so i thort £800 was reasonable
The place i took it too r good but the problem is im a bit scared of mucking up the job, an im not a strong beliver on p38 or what have u!
The panels arnt in bad condition, all the stuff i said was what he though will need replacing, i think the a panels and skuttle is perfectly fine, bit of surface rust to b honest!
The place i went to also said he would help me if i wanted to have a go and would then spray the car for £600 if i did most of the work me self
but i dunt want to spend £600 on a spray job and the rust comes bk almost instant, bearing in mind im only 17, jus started drivin and this money will be ALOT to me!
so i want a gud job
cheers

#5 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:24 PM

yeah i know what u mean about it being alot of money and stuff!

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:31 PM

Well I would start by replacing the panels

Do the ones that need to be replaced, don't skimp here. As you're doing it primer them... Then save up for a good paintjob.

I'd say for 1000 you can do the whole deal, so if you can wait it out, you'll be set

#7 Stingray

Stingray

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:56 PM

new a panels, drivers wing, new metal welded in at the rear on both sides, deseamed rear so can run de bumpered, paint (porsche yellow and citroen pasonda blue) and fitment of group 5 arches

This is a lot work you want to have done. The price you were quoted sounds reasonable to me. Of course you can find places that will do it for less, but always remember, you get what you pay for.

-S

#8 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

I got a mate with a body shop and i can bet he will give you the cheapest quote, but he's down here in sunny plymouth tho!

Why dont you do it yourself, it aint that hard, jus stick loads of paint on and any blemishes can be polished out later.

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:12 PM

One more thing... what's wrong with your paint now? Suits the car to no end! Especially with those rims and everything!

You should just fix it up where it needs fixing, repaint those areas in the same colour! That way you can afford a quality job where its needed!

#10 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:08 PM

the reason for it is alot of it has faded, the guy who sprayed it did it in his garage and did a BAD job of it, the roof has a crack init where he didnt leave the primer to set for long enuf and the roof and bonnet are faded like hell!
The problem with sortin it out and gettin the colour matched is i dont no what the colour actually is, its called SNAP DRAGON YELLOW and i havnt yet come across a car manufacturer dat has this colour (workin at halfords i have access to most colours)
If sumon knows the paint code or even the manufactrer that produces this colour then id love to know then i cud take it from there!
Cheers guys

#11 Stingray

Stingray

1 Gold Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:48 PM

OK, I have no idea what the paint shops are like over there (obviously) but here they have a computer/scanner device that they use for paint matching. If you bring a small item to be matched (like the tag light on your boot lid for example) they can put it in their machine and match the paint, they don't need to know the paint code.

-S

#12 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:10 AM

Ok mate , as you may have worked out from my thread "flame red" in projects I run my own bodyshop , If you like i can give you a quote , Write a list of what needs doing and back this up with pictures of any problem areas you can send them by e-mail to [email protected]
I have just quoted a lad with a fiesta to fitt a panique body kitt, fitt a new door, smooth in the tailgate, badboy the bonnet , fitt M3 mirrors and then re-spray in metalic/pearlesant base coat and laqure and I gave him a price of £2000 , this sounds steep untill you know that the other place he went to quoted £3500 !
I have read in mags that people have paid upto £7000 to have a kitt fited and a re-spray , unbeleivable !
If you like the price it would mean a trip to North Wales :) .

#13 bumblebee

bumblebee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:14 PM

and on top of his bodywork skills (which i have witnessed with my very own eyes) he makes nice coffee, and makes you chuckle!

VOTE WOODY :)

on a serious note, my car will be paying woody a visit when i've made my mind up on a bloody colour lmao!

Rich.

#14 tweety

tweety

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:07 PM

hey thanks for all the help guys ive sent woody an email about the car!
If there are anyother guys on here that do this kinda work id love to hear from you and also any projects that woody has done would b fantastic
cheers!

#15 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 06:39 PM

Ok Tweety mate i will look at your pics tomorow and work out how much work will be involved , You could allways combine this rebuild with a holiday in beutifull North Wales :) should be done in a week :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users