21 replies to this topic

#1 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Not really sure which section to ask this question so Mods if it's wrong please move to a more suitable one.

I'm building a Funnbuggy Freestyle with the donor car being a 1988 Mini which had circumed to the rust fairies. Anyway the problem is I took her for the SVA yesterday & one of the things she failed on was the symbol on the switch that tests the brake fluid circuit. It's a red flick switch with a symbol of a foot & a brake pedal on, this is not acceptable for SVA & it's got to be the round symbol with two curves at each side similiar to (O) does anyone know if the later Mini's had these fitted?

Thanks

Alan...

#2 Fen Buzzard

Fen Buzzard

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:11 PM

Not as far a i know. Both my old 95 sprite and my 93 city E have the switch with the pedal on.
But i will stand corrected if any one knows any more because the 1995 spite is the newest mini i have been in!!!

#3 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Is that picky or what??

I thought the (O) symbol was for the handbrake?

#4 Fen Buzzard

Fen Buzzard

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yeah thats what i thought or for brake pad wear sensors! Not that minis have that luxury!!!!

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

Koss wil probably be able to confirm, but as it's type approved on the mini it should be ok on a kit based on the mini ( ie no different to a minus )

On the other hand, remove it and they can't complain ! lol

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

Well you can't remove it because you need the low fluid warning and the whole rumour about being type approved for the Mini and so therefore acceptable in an SVA is Dingo's Kidneys no matter what part it is. MPi Minis had a test switch with the correct symbol, the switch is also available with the correct symbol from lots of kit car parts suppliers. HERE is the switch from Holden Vintage and Classic for you in case you can't find it.

And that symbol just means brake system warning. It can mean low fluid or handbrake applied (on most modern cars it means both) but I think the pad wear warning is a bit different.

Edited by Dan, 21 March 2007 - 05:51 PM.

#7 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Thanks Dan, I had since found it on Mini Spares but at twice the price & it wouldn't tell me how much postage till I registered (Don't like that). Yes you are also right it cannot be removed as it is for the low brake fluid warning. I knew I could get a neon with the symbol, but the dash has this hole already cut.

Once again TMF to the rescue.

Alan..

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Dan, I had since found it on Mini Spares but at twice the price & it wouldn't tell me how much postage till I registered (Don't like that).

Pm Simon@Minispares on here. He'll tell you and you get 5% off for being resisted here on TMF

#9 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

Uhmmm, why dont you just go to a scrap yard and cut the correct symbol out of the dash of another car and use it to replace the little plastic light window in the switch? only takes a few mins to dissasemble the switch and swap it over. :ermm:

SS

#10 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

Uhmmm, why dont you just go to a scrap yard and cut the correct symbol out of the dash of another car and use it to replace the little plastic light window in the switch? only takes a few mins to dissasemble the switch and swap it over. :ermm:

SS

From the link that Dan gave it works out at about £12 delivered, it's not worth hassle of trying to find a new mini in the local yards.

Thanks for all the replies.

Alan...

#11 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:11 AM

SS

From the link that Dan gave it works out at about £12 delivered, it's not worth hassle of trying to find a new mini in the local yards.

Thanks for all the replies.

Alan...

New mini?? ANY new-ish (under 15 - 20 years?) car should have the same symbol, they are quite common....ah well, whatever works that's the main thing. :xxx:

Actually, I have one on a dead dash cluster...Think it's way too big to use for the same switch however, though would be OK if you wanted to move the warning lamp to the dash. here's a pic (I belive the correct one is to the right of the coin):

(5p coin is for size reference)

Posted Image

I can cut it out if you want it (for free), I'll just stick it in an envelope and post it, just let me know. :)

SS

#12 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:53 PM

Yes I got the ok with the dash. The switches were from a 94 mini. But only just passed due to them protruding no more than 9.5mm and being less than 2.5mm radius on the edges.
Had a few fail in early days due to excessive body contortion to see tell tale lights.

Attached File  sva.jpg   27.77K   0 downloads

#13 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:03 PM

Yes I got the ok with the dash. The switches were from a 94 mini. But only just passed due to them protruding no more than 9.5mm and being less than 2.5mm radius on the edges.

I thought I had thought of this & put the switches in the 127mm exempt area, they unfortunately were still in the passenger area, but they only knocked the back of the pod.

Alan...

#14 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

I thought I had thought of this & put the switches in the 127mm exempt area, they unfortunately were still in the passenger area, but they only knocked the back of the pod.

Alan...

Sorry alan a bit confused, I know the 127 but was it viewing or radius.

#15 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

Alan...

Sorry alan a bit confused, I know the 127 but was it viewing or radius.

Sorry, should always read posts before hitting submit, in case you write something completely :ermm: anyway they didn't like the back edge of the 3 switch pod. Didn't have a 2.5mm radius on it, although it was in the exempt area from a driver poit of view, they deemed it had to be taken into account due to it being within the passengers area. They never mentioned the lack of 2.5mm on the switches & I certainly wasn't going to bring it to their attention.

Posted Image

Alan...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users