#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

hey

Well i have recently purchaced a fair few k-series parts and i have been colecting them for a while so that i can start my 1.8 K-series build. the engine that i will be using is a completely rebuilt 1.8 k-series engine which i have been told was taken from a Lotus Elise but i need to have a proper look over the engine and see if this is true but i have no reason to not belive it!

The subframe i have been working on is based on a mini frame, this is so that i can retain the mini wheels, suspension and driveshafts i belive but i am not to sure about this. the subframe is being built around a 1.4 engine from a metro and it all seems ok so i think i will set the subframe and car set up with this and then put the elise lump in and set the car up around that!.

The base car for this project is still very undecided, the two choices i have are... My 1985 mayfair which has a rock solid shell, or a clubman estate which i have my eye on. either way i am very undecided on the presentation of the car and dont think that i will have a clear idea untill the car is decided and the conversion is complete. I am VERY tempted to go for a sleeper effect but i dont think the girlfriend will be to fond of getting driven around in a primer grey clubby estate!

The photos will be up tommorow when the engines are brought to my house.

Posted Image

As you can see A lot of work and tidying up still needs to be done to the subframe but the main shape of the frame is there. My welds arent great, so i will tac it all up and once its all right i will take it to my local fabricators and get it all seam welded and then powder coated!

More photos tommorow :(

#2 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

Subframe is looking good!

Keep us posted I'm really interested in doing a 1.4/1.6 K series!

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

use the rock solid shell for the conversion.

no rust is always a good thing

#4 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thanks sammy, a lot of work still needs to be done on the subframe but i am making progress!!! You can use the same subframe whatever K-series engine you use sammy, 1.4 1.6 and 1.8's are all the same subframe wise.

I think i have decided to go with my mayfair shell, its solid and there are a lot more problems already cut out of the picture compared to if i was to use the clubman estate shell.

#5 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

Finaly got my front pannels welded up :( they were totaly out of line and nothing lined up so out came the metal beaters and after a short while they lined up ok. Just got to finish taking th bumper lip off and then i can prime it and get it painted.

Still Very undecided about colour, i like ST orange and i also like tahiti blue.

also decided to de bumper the back.

#6 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Have you got any diagrams to help you make this frame, or are you doing it all from measuring out thing on the spot?

#7 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

I am using no digrams at all Tom, I have hundreds of photos of home made and production frames posted around my garage and i am using these to get a vauge idea and then lowering the engine into the frame every now and again to see if there is enough room in the places that are needed. not sure if you can see from my above photo but that is the front section of the car cut off clean and this is being used so i can mock up my removeable front so that i can make extra sure that there is enough room to retain my std roundnose front

There was a lad on 16VMC that built a C20XE subframe from scratch and it was spot on first time and he hadnt sat the engine anywhere near the subframe, Crazy hey.

#8 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

Kool have you found it a hard job to do. Is that your frame in the first pic.

#9 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

Saw your post in the Mini thread on T-F Tomm :P

#10 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

looking good.

frame looks tidy

J

#11 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

yeh haha not on there much anymore, to many tits on there :P always saying youcant do this you shouldnt do that. blah blah blah

haha

thanks sway! Hope the same happens to the shell!

#12 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:24 AM

What are you doing about driveshafts, clutch and gear linkage Tomm?

Edited by Sammy D, 12 April 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#13 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:53 AM

well i will have to cut a section in the engine bay to allow for the gear linkage and leaver into the inside of the car but should be to hard, i will upload a photo for you so you know what i mean, hafing a right fart trying to describe it hehe. Driveshaft wise i am not sure, when i was considering doing this a few months ago i was sure that i could use standard mini ones as i am building the subframe myself and can allow for this to be done, but if not oi have allowed in my budget i have allowed for the price to get some machined to the right lenght :thumbsup:
Sorry missed your last post for some reason tom! Yeh thats my frame in the top pic, and its not mega hard, but it can be a complete pain in the arse at times, although with the right tools i think it will be easier!

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:05 AM

You'll need to get driveshafts made up, its not the length that matters but the splines, one side needs to be K-series, the other obviously mini.

#15 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:12 AM

You'll need to get driveshafts made up, its not the length that matters but the splines, one side needs to be K-series, the other obviously mini.

Was what I was thinking, and I guess you are using a gear selector from a Metro?

I'm interested in the clutch as aren't K's cable?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users