#1 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

Hey Guys,

I really need some help here chaps.. I would like to make some door builds for the front of Jules mini.

Now I have an idea of what is need from the build perspective, just no idea of how the hell I am gonna mount them onto Jules doors. The winder mechs are gonna foul surley and if I can build big enough pods out of MDF to take the speakers, how do I then attach the pods to the doors. Do I need to cut the doors??

Should I buy some thin MDF to replace the door cards and build the pods on the door cards? If so are the plastic clips gonna hold everything in place or will I need to drill the pods and mount them with screws?? Will self tapers and clips do the trick??

Are the standard vinel door trims removable?? I want them to look origional??

I am thinkin of putting in some 6 inch mids with a tweeter in (i.e components) and these come with a crossover. Will the cross over work with the standard head unit?? Or do I need an amp to do the hi/low frequency split?

Any help appreciated.. :grin:

Cheers,

Rich.

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

y not try ur hand at making them out of fibreglass, just get a big sheet or 2 of fibreglass create the shape u want to use as a template, put fibreglass in, then resin wait for it to set and paint or do whatever with it, also an advantage is u can fettle with sizes of the mould before u finally make it....., just add some screw holes on it to self tap into the doors

Maybe

#3 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:03 PM

fibreglass is a good base for a door build, although you do have to take the time to make a jig first.

#4 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:07 AM

Brawlyrox, Madmax,

Thanks for the replies. When you talk about a jig do you mean a mould. I am gonna pop to WHSmiths at lunch and get a copy of total car audio, they had a door build article in it this month.. I think pictures may help.. LOL!

Cheers,

Rich.

#5 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Got the mag at lunchtime, really nice step by step guide. :lol: When I make up the door builds I will take photos etc.

Cheers,

Rich.

#6 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

yeh a mould, and then after that it'll need a good sand down to make it smooth, but its a good material to work with.

#7 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:49 PM

Rich keep us updated this is gonna be pretty good, and the thing i like about fibreglass is that you can use any finish that you like :grin:

#8 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:09 AM

Hi Guys..

Ok.. The approach I am gonna use is:

1. Back door frame in Dynomat after cutting holes for the speaker wires to go through and drilling larger holes for retaining clips to go into this will allow me to screw the pod into the door through the door card and should hold everything in nice and tight.. :lol:

2. Make up a new door card from 4mm mdf and cover that with the origional vinal door covering after marking it up and drilling it to accept the mounting points for the speaker pod.

3. MDF pod that will be deep enough to take a 6.5in mid and tweeter and cross over. The pod will be a tear drop shape and the speakers will be angled up towards the passengers. Once built up to shape, I will cover them with accoustic cloth and then paint that with resin. The cloth will form the pod shape and resin will set it hard. Then cover with vinal and add a grill cover made from accoutsic cloth.

Sorted.. LOL!!

Rich.

#9 iceman

iceman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:18 AM

Angle your pods upwards towards the mirror this will enhance your imaging and stageing ! :wales:

#10 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 11:11 AM

That is the plan.. Time to get the jigsaw and hot glue gun out.. LOL!! :lol: :rolleyes:

Rich.

#11 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

good luck

#12 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

any luck so far... it would be great if you could keep us up dated just to see how ur getting on

#13 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:13 PM

yeh hows it goin so far? if uve got anything done yet?

#14 EVO6RSS

EVO6RSS

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

Going upto my mum and dads this weekend with Jules, we need to store the mini somewhere safe while I am working in Reading. So.. May get to start on it this weekend.. We shall see..

Need to order some speakers first.. LOL!

Cheers,

Rich.

#15 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:39 PM

cool, speakers would be a help :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic