15 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:20 AM

Me and my mate are just starting to strip my 73 Austin mini and are going to put a Tomcat 1.8vvc engine in.
I know of people who have put a 2.0L redtop and VTEC's in before but was wondering if any body has put a VVC into a mini.
As this is the first time I've done an engine conversion with a mini dose anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

quite a few K-series engines been done in the past. not heard of a VVC one though!!!!

#3 arnie.d

arnie.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:41 AM

theres loads of k series mini's around, ussually 1.4's and sometimes 1.6's
i've seen one mini with a 1.8 vvc in it, was a van that was featured in miniworld a few years back.
i think you have to use a 1.4 box as its smaller than the 1.8's.

you planning on keeping a standard lenght front mate?

#4 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

theres loads of k series mini's around, ussually 1.4's and sometimes 1.6's
i've seen one mini with a 1.8 vvc in it, was a van that was featured in miniworld a few years back.
i think you have to use a 1.4 box as its smaller than the 1.8's.

you planning on keeping a standard lenght front mate?

Yeah we started out thinking bout a 1.4 but then one night in the pub and the idea slowly turned into a 1.8
We've already looked at the front end and think were just going to cut it off to make room for the engine then i was thinking about putting on a fibreglass front flip instead of messing round with replacing the panels.

Will a 1.4 box be strong enough for the engine?
Luckily i know a guy who works on gearboxes so hopefully there's something he can do for me.

#5 Natalie

Natalie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

I think nag1_uk is putting/has put one into his pickup :P
Take care of the engine though well known for head gasket problems :lol: (bf has a 200 VI )

http://www.theminifo...mp;#entry470741

Edited by PinkGirly, 22 June 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#6 nag1_uk

nag1_uk

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

I think nag1_uk is putting/has put one into his pickup :P
Take care of the engine though well known for head gasket problems :dozing: (bf has a 200 VI )

http://www.theminifo...mp;#entry470741

yes mine will be a 1.8VVC from the ZR 160 so even more power then the tomcat! :lol:

The car has just gone away for painting so will back on the road in a month and a half I hope!

Check out 16Vmini club for more info.
http://www.16vminicl...opic.php?t=8610

Mike

#7 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

yeah mike, i love your pickup.. slaaaaaaag!

Ive got a 1.6 in mine at the moment, after BH2N it'll be going 1.8, but non-vvc as i dont believe in doing things by half.. piper cams it is :P

EDIT, the 1.8 uses the PG1 Gearbox which uses differnt mounts. Use the 1.6 gearbox from a 416 or similar. R65U, stronger than the standard gti R65 gearbox i have been told.

:lol:

Edited by mighty_mini, 22 June 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#8 mini-Ash

mini-Ash

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:39 PM

Ive seen one, theres a white convertible mini that goes around near me, the front end has been extended by 2 inches to make it fit!

It will be rapid though, Ive got a ZR, not the 160 just the 105 and thats nippy the 160 lump will be amazing. looking forward 2 seeing this done.

#9 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

yes mine will be a 1.8VVC from the ZR 160 so even more power then the tomcat! :P

The car has just gone away for painting so will back on the road in a month and a half I hope!

Mike

So you got the engine in then?
Few question for you what gearbox did you use and what about the exhaust system?

I was thinking of taking it to power flow and getting one built on the car but not sure about the manifold.

Not to burst your bubble but it’s the same VVC engine in the Tomcat and the ZR, but the injection system, exhaust system and gearbox where slightly better when they put it into the MG which gave it more power :lol:

Edited by Andrew1408, 22 June 2007 - 12:51 PM.

#10 Natalie

Natalie

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

yes mine will be a 1.8VVC from the ZR 160 so even more power then the tomcat! :P

Mike

Mike will you have it back by the 28th July? Hopefully see it if I make it for the housewarming :lol:

Edited by PinkGirly, 22 June 2007 - 02:28 PM.

#11 nag1_uk

nag1_uk

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:07 PM

I do not think it will be in leicester by then :P She will still be at Dads geting built up.

I know the engines are about the same, just with the setup for the ZR it should give 160BHP. I did think most of the power increase came from the ecu to be honest. As I have seen a few manifolds and they all look very similar.

With out the CAT I might get a bit more power but with my exhaust manifold possibly less! The way I see it is with 160 you can stand to loose a few BHP and still be happy.

The exhaust manifold I run is one from a metro gti but modified to take some pipe out so the down pipe sits closer to the body of the engine. Prob lets a few BHP out but I am not that bothered! with the 1.4 form the R25 I did 0-60 in 7.7 s with 1st and 2nd gear wheel spinning. I think if I started in 2nd it would have been faster!!

I will be using a gearbox out of a 1.1 metro!! Previusly I used the one that came with my last engine, 1.4 R25. But the box from the 1.1 has a better final drive and so will make first gear more useable etc. I know people say the pg1 is stronger, but it is massive and it would make the engine conversion a lot harder to do with that gearbox!
Also with the cost of a gearbox being about the cost of a pint or 2 I do not care that much if it breaks as I can just put another one in!!!!

#12 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Talkin to my mate today think im gonna be usin the 1.8 manifold then get a system built on to the car and think were goin to be usin a 1.4 metro gearbox but with some of the parts from the 1.8 :s.

Im havin a b****rd of a time just tryin to get the bloody thing stripped, some of the nuts and bolts are that old they just dont want to come off.
Talked a guy from a paint shop, as soon its ready its goin straight in and should only take him a week :thumbsup:

#13 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

God today was one poo day. First I find out I've got to buy a ready made sub frame for the new engine then I blow a big bloody hole in my focus gear box, so I took my anger out on the mini with a grinder :lol:
The mini as of an hour ago :-
Attached File  Photo_0038.jpg   49.69K   30 downloads
Attached File  Photo_0040.jpg   51.32K   25 downloads

Edited by Andrew1408, 27 June 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#14 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

you dont have to buy a ready made subframe, plenty of people have made their own, jsut the ready made item is lots easier

#15 Andrew1408

Andrew1408

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

I think i will be making one, £800 for a ready made one forget that even if it takes 10 trys to get it right it will still work out cheaper.
Hopefully wednesday i should get the engine out of the tomcat and down to the mini and then start makin a proto type frame, just hope the weather ent to bad, nothin worse then workin in the rain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users