#1 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

just come back from initial testing of the latest spec monte carlo
we went to elvington to do some shakedown runs in the car and recorded 0to60 mph times of 2.7 seconds and 0 to 100 of 6.2 seconds
this is with the motor on 1 bar of boost
we initially built the motor and ran it at this boost to see how it drove with the intention of seeing if it was too much power to transmit through two wheels in such a little car
currently we are running 360 bhp and im happy to say that the thing will transmit another 100 bhp no problem at all
it never budged off line even in lower gears and on full throttle it drives like a normally aspirated car with no lag at all and we are now going to hike the bhp and torque by boosting it even more
a maclaren fi road car did 0 to 100 in 6.5 seconds
ferrari enzo 6.7 seconds
only two other cars beat the mini so far the bugatti veron at 5.5 seconds and
the current world record is held by the ultima sports car with a big chevvy engine pushing 720 bhp it hits 100 in 5.3 seconds
from experiance the 0 to 60 time can be easily acheived with the right car but from 60 to 100 its a pure horsepower game and if we wind another 50 to 70 bhp into the mini it should be capable of taking these titles in the near future
it goes round corners as well!!!
chris

#2 ChipsezMini!

ChipsezMini!

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

You are my idol.

#3 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 12 July 2007 - 04:22 AM

Sounds very interesting Chris I would like to know more.

What turbo Garrett or Mitsubishi?
Is the turbo mounted at the front of the engine?
Does it use an oil scavenge pump?
Water spray or intercooled?
Multi stage boost controller?

I think I need to see it.

#4 Tom Booth

Tom Booth

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis.co.uk

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

My god, thats rediculous :P ;) :goaway:

#5 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

thats awesome!! do you know what it would do 0 - 100 - 0 ?

you may even beat some of these...

Ultima GTR 0 - 100 - 0mph

#6 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

that is just plain stupid! 2.7 secs!!!!! (drools)

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

What size wheels you got on this now? And you using racing slicks or road legals?

#8 crossed thread

crossed thread

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

I was fortunate enough to be there and can tell you I've never seen anything like it. It was rolled out of the trailer started, warmed up and Chris jumped in for its first ever run.

It went like a missile, and everything worked as it should all day. What a testament to those that built it at Zcars!

Chris did about half a dozen standing starts and every one was under three seconds to sixty and under seven seconds to a hundred.
I took some photos here:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I've got some video clips which I'll try to upload later.
Chris

#9 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

Cheers for the pics chris, better than the ones on your phone and the suspense is killing me for the vids.
Nice to meet you Ian.

#10 Musto

Musto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lupo

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

omg that looks amazing lol, u goin 2 mitp?? would like 2 see that beast in action >_<

#11 crossed thread

crossed thread

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Ian

Here's the video:
Clicky

Chris

#12 sleeper

sleeper

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: notts about minis

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

>_< :) :thumbsup:

#13 sleeper

sleeper

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: notts about minis

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

what kind of top speeds are you reaching in that??

#14 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Sounds very interesting Chris I would like to know more.

What turbo Garrett or Mitsubishi?
Is the turbo mounted at the front of the engine?
Does it use an oil scavenge pump?
Water spray or intercooled?
Multi stage boost controller?

I think I need to see it.

we are using a garret water cooled roller bearing turbo we already have a big intercooler on board with two fans and cold air feed from a large roof scoop
having driven it and some other turbos from various other sources im mega pleased with this one it basically drives like a big capacity normally aspirated engine with very progressive power and torque delivery
we are going to water inject it next week and wind the turbo up above 9000 rpm to gain more top end power
i must admit to building the motor initially on a conservative boost setting so that it wasnt a difficult car to drive
ive seen some big power turbo hyabusa motors being drag raced and in a car they are either bogged down off boost then wheel spinning once on boost this kills the driveability of the car and elapsed times are poor
the idea of this spec turbo was to be able to drive the car on the limit through fast corners without worrying about the boost suddenly kicking the rear end out and spinning
at elvington i tried 80/90 mph corners as fast as i could go in a low gear and when the apex came flooring it and shifting up i couldnt un stick the rear end at all so im now happy to wind more power into the chassis
it only weighs 550 kilos ready to run with fuel water fire extinguisher etc on board and with the current power has 650 bhp per ton
if we wind another 60/70 bhp into it then the whole times should tumble
also when you look at the fastest graph we did you can see where on that particular run i hit the rev limiter twice and lost a tenth of a second each time,this is basically a driver error as you can appreciate everything is happening pretty quickly and this car is left hand drive so i was changing gear with my right hand which feels strange plus the gear lever is pushed forwards on the car to go up the box instead of like on my racer it comes back to shift up
im confidant in a rhd car i could shift more automatically and naturally and then the time to 100 in current bhp trim will be 6 seconds dead
factor in a bit more power and the bugatti versons 5.5 seconds is do able
a 0 to 100 to 0 time needs getting as im pretty sure we can out brake the ultima and the veron as they are heavier cars
if i get the chance i will use this car to do some more performance testing before it goes to rumania and its new owner
i have another customer for the same spec of car in columbia so if i dont get this one i will do the columbians car
god i love my job
chris

#15 arnie.d

arnie.d

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:20 PM

that is just silly!!!
how much would it cost?
one off my mates neighbors is building soemthing like this, with you guys i think n he keeps it so top secret >_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users