Photo
- - - - -

1st post and Z car on 10s and engine question?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

1)This has probably been addressed before but being a classic mini fan at the same time as a speed junkie can i keep my mini on 10s for an R1 conversion? I have 4 pot disks for it at the front already. will Z cars sort out shafts and calipers etc for 10" wheel mini?

2) Will Z cars provide fittings for nearly any motorbike engine e.g. Z-10, GSXR, CBR1000 etc or just yamaha? Not that there is anything wrong with Yamaha :wub:

Edited by brandon7, 07 August 2007 - 12:16 PM.

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

phone chris at zcars and ask.... they will do pretty much anything you want... at a price.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

I think they'll strongly recommend that you use at least 13" wheels, just because you can't get big enough brakes underneath 10" wheels.

And they will do mountings for other bike engines, but expect to pay a premium!

#4 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:40 PM

I will take all Z car recommendations but minis look gash in 13" wheels! haha

But i mean even if they are small disks on 20 inch.. 4 pots all round should stop anything right! especially something this light but ill get back to you on this one

As for the prmium on different mounts i guess this depends if the premium outweights the cost of a cheaper kind of engine. So is there any reason the spec for R1 engines over rival bikes? like the Kawasaki z-10 and honda CBR 1000?

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

Well, by premium I mean you'd have to send them the engine, and pay for the labour that is incurred to set up a jig and alter a standard frame, and any other mechanical bits. As for the choice of bike engine, I'm not sure.

#6 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Currently putting a gsxr1000 engine into a mini minus shell and Chris charged the same as he would for a normal kit. We had to take the shell up to z-cars to get the frame made to fit and the engine came from z-cars so they already had it to make a frame to fit.

Pete

#7 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:43 PM

I will take all Z car recommendations but minis look gash in 13" wheels! haha

But i mean even if they are small disks on 20 inch.. 4 pots all round should stop anything right! especially something this light but ill get back to you on this one

Having owned 2 z cars minis now i tell you that yes they may well be lighter than a std mini but they go a hell of a lot faster than most modified minis.
If you havnt even had a ride in one yet i suggest you get yourself up to hull and then rethink your ideas unless you just want to use your bike engined mini for static shows? then put it on 10" wheels and it should stop ok to get it on the stand.

#8 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the kind sarcasm there Mark :shifty: I imagine you know what your on about and your looking out for my interests, but ill speak with the guys at Z cars about it, of corse stopping is essential but even with small disks all round there can be huge amounts of difference? Ill let you know what they say on this.
I guarentee there will be nothing static about it, Its gonna be a track day hill climb machine which is Roadworthy only to get it to where i need it.

What is this Mini Minus never heard of it, looks slightly bigger?

Ill be goign up to the factory hopfully mid next month when i get some time off.
Thanks for your replies keep em coming

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

a minus is a fibre glass mini shell

but its deseemed and they body's got about 6 inches missing around the middle

#10 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:25 PM

Small brakes are *just* about adequate on a road car when you will never have sustained periods of truly hard driving. My 8.4" vented cross drilled disks and 4 pots were starting to go downhill after 6 laps of curborough, if you're planning on going on a trackday forget it.

Hence i'm now running huuuuuuuuuuuge disks and 6 pots hehe.

#11 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

What is this Mini Minus never heard of it, looks slightly bigger?

Bigger? :shifty:

This is a picture of mine next to a very low pickup :D I'll see if i can find a pic of it with some normal minis. for comparison.

Attached Files

#12 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

Small brakes are *just* about adequate on a road car when you will never have sustained periods of truly hard driving. My 8.4" vented cross drilled disks and 4 pots were starting to go downhill after 6 laps of curborough, if you're planning on going on a trackday forget it.

Hence i'm now running huuuuuuuuuuuge disks and 6 pots hehe.

I appricaiate the importance of breaking etc. also the fact you guys own these cars, but seriously 4 pot calipers on front and back even with disks that are an inch smaller is going to give fantastic stoping power.
Your Breaks will fade over time possibly due to the pads you use getting too hot and not enough ventilation?.. Like I said i will go to Z cars and talk with them and let you know the honest answer. Ive been ina rally Mini on 10 inch wheels which was not as quick as this but had a 1380n race engine and it stopped amazing.

6 pots... hhhmmmm why? my advise is go into corners faster =)

#13 8vAlan

8vAlan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: NENE Valley

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

I think they'll strongly recommend that you use at least 13" wheels, just because you can't get big enough brakes underneath 10" wheels.

surely tarrox 6 pots all round on drilled and vented disks would suffice? are the bike minis that fast?? :shifty:

#14 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

theres always a reason for us using things on our conversions and quite simply 13" wheels and tyres score because you can get more rubber on the car which helps grip and then when you are still pulling 1 g or accelaration at 100 mph the bigger braking system will stop you better
we tried all the available four pot calipers and discs available on the mini scene and ended up making our own
theres a lot of tosh spoken about various things and old wives tales develop around it
results speak for themselves and the way our hyabusa powered racer is going this year proves it
i won both my races at the weekend and set the lap record in the under 1600 cc class
when crossed thread gets time you will see he is going to put some 5 miniute clips of the two races onto the race section from saturdays two races
if you watch those when they come out you will see im 7th on the grid and the pole and second placed men are in a lola chassied sierra spaceframed car with 7 litres and 700 bhp and a lotus esprit with 6.3 litres and 600 bhp
the mini goes from 7th to 3rd into the first corner and gains ten yards on the front row cars during a 20 miniute race we hammer the brakes mercilessly and they will stand it no problem the tyres are up to the job and give loads of grip that a 10" version couldnt hope to keep up with
if you ar going to hillclimb and sprint the car then 13" slicks in very very soft compounds are readily available where as 10" will be difficult and choice of compound limited
please do call in for ademo i think you will be surprised at how the cars go and just how well they stop turn and accelerate
chris
ps dont come if you are not sure about buying one as a ride is addictive

#15 8vAlan

8vAlan

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: NENE Valley

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

well that told me! :shifty:

1 user(s) are reading this topic