22 replies to this topic

#1 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

I had to jump start my car today as it appeared to have a flat battery. So i drove around for awhile hoping it would have been charged up enough, but it didnt. It didnt start after that. Also, if i leave it in gear and try to start it, it doesnt always jump forward...

I checked the battery top up bits and they look empty, but the label on the battery says "maintenance free".. do i still have to fill it up with water..? (lol)

The solonoid makes the clicking noise, but after that, nothing. I followed the haynes, and put my lights on then turned the ignition to see if the lights dim, they dont. So i cleaned up the connections from the solonoid to the starter, but nothing. My lights work fine, and dont go dim like they would if i did have a flat battery.

Please help me, i dont want to walk to work in the rain tomorrow.. but then i'll have to fix it today in the rain... Lifes harsh. Its because i broke my side mirror today. since then it wouldnt start. my wiper broke off and went flying into a bush... and now it wont start again..

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:09 PM

You can't fill them with water.

Past that sounds like a sticky starter. Give it a few taps to see if it frees it up.

#3 lukey1019

lukey1019

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

you can fill it up with distilled water from halfords or somwhere.. dirt cheap lol

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

If you can open the cells you can fill them with water, just plain water. Yes, there's lots of instructions out there about using distilled water and such... but it's not absolutely necessary. Just don't put ditch water in there with frogs and tadpoles in it.

If you have a voltmeter, connect it to the battery. Take a reading while just sitting there. Then, have an assistant try to start the car while you watch the voltage. If it drops much below 8V while you try and start the car, suspect the battery. However, you said the headlights didn't dim and that is very curious. I suggest that as part of your troubleshooting you disconnect, clean, and re-attach the ground strap between the chassis and the engine. Also make sure the ground connection in the boot is clean and secure. Don't trust the outward appearance, take it apart, clean it, and put it back together. If the ground strap between the chassis and the engine is a braided cable, check its physical condition. If it's a vinyl covered cable, there's a chance it's corroded inside and you may want to consider replacing it. A test you can make prior to replacing it would be to make a parallel connection between the chassis and engine using a set of jumper cables. If the starter works well with the jumper cable in place, it indicates a problem with the standard ground strap.

The solenoid chatter you describe is typical of a dead or dying battery, so your observation that the headlights don't dim is very curious. An additional thing to check is to make sure that the solenoid (assuming this is an inertia starter) has a good ground. If it doesn't the solenoid won't pull closed to power the starter.

#5 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

I gave it a good smack with a hammer, then it made a spinning noise when i turned the key. Its still not engaging. Im looking at getting a new solonoid.. this one is a pain in the arse - The lead from the solenoid to the starter is pretty much stuck to the solenoid, its impossible to get off. I'll get a new lead aswell.

From pictures it looks like i have an inertia, as i dont have that piggy back *******.

#6 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

sounds like earthing problems on the engine block. check the engine to body earth strap

#7 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

sounds like earthing problems on the engine block. check the engine to body earth strap

Is this strap thing bolted at the engine mount? if so this fell off about 2 months ago...

#8 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:05 PM

it normally goes from the engine steady bar above the clutch housing, to the other end of the bar where it bolts to the bodyshell, just below the clutch master cylinder. if thats missing, or damaged, then thats most likely your problem.

get a jump lead, clamp one end on your engine, and the other end onto a suitable point on the bodyshell, best place is the plate where the brake and clutch cylinders are bolted to. see if the car starts, and if it does, then you need a new earth strap.

#9 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

it normally goes from the engine steady bar above the clutch housing, to the other end of the bar where it bolts to the bodyshell, just below the clutch master cylinder. if thats missing, or damaged, then thats most likely your problem.

get a jump lead, clamp one end on your engine, and the other end onto a suitable point on the bodyshell, best place is the plate where the brake and clutch cylinders are bolted to. see if the car starts, and if it does, then you need a new earth strap.

Ok will do. But i dont have any jump leads anymore... any old bit of metal would do though im sure... we'll see.

#10 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

no harm in trying.

#11 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

no harm in trying.

Didnt work... with a screw driver. :D

#12 WorksopCoop

WorksopCoop

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

You can get a new earth strap from most car part manufacturers. Halfords are a little expensive so a local dealer may be cheaper. It cost me about £3 from a motor spares local dealer, i know have 2 on my enigine to make sure its definitely earthing.

If your lights dont dim when your turning the key, it means that there is not enough power reaching the starter motor, as usually it would drain the power from the lights to fire up your engine.

#13 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

I took the solenoid off and cleaned up all the points, then put it together and i have no lights, or horn! what the hell.. i'll order a new chassis strap tonigt, but it worked with out it for so long..

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,431 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

There's a second ring terminal that supplies all the electrics on the solenoid you didn't miss fitting it did you?

#15 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

I cable tied the cables together so i knew which ones went where.. They came on when i fiddled around and took off the cable thats on the spade connector..? I tried that way again (taking that cable off) but didnt work again..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users