41 replies to this topic

#16 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

Why don't you put the digidash on the outside of the binnacle, or trim the opening to expose the outer edge?- woudl look better IMO.

While im waiting for zcars to do a 4 wheel align (its taken 7 weeks so far!) i thought i would have a go at making a dash. what do you think?

Edited by Monte Busa, 02 November 2007 - 06:41 PM.

#17 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Im not sure how to fill the bottom hole, possibly melting plastic and cover the lot in flocking?

Al

Why don't you put the digidash on the outside of the binnacle, or trim the opening to expose the outer edge?- woudl look better IMO.

While im waiting for zcars to do a 4 wheel align (its taken 7 weeks so far!) i thought i would have a go at making a dash. what do you think?

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#18 HILTY

HILTY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Im not sure how to fill the bottom hole, possibly melting plastic and cover the lot in flocking?

Al

Zcars have sheets of fake carbon fibre or even the real thing, you could always cover the whole thing with an oval piece and then mount the two dials and digi dash to that ...Just a thought ....would cover the hole.

Hilty

#19 stevesmini

stevesmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

good ideas

#20 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:24 AM

I like it so far...Another thing you could do to balance out the look and give it more of a round gauge appearance after skiining it in CF (faux or real) is to fit a couple of switches or a battery cutoff below the digidash...that would look pretty cool methinks

Al

Zcars have sheets of fake carbon fibre or even the real thing, you could always cover the whole thing with an oval piece and then mount the two dials and digi dash to that ...Just a thought ....would cover the hole.

Hilty

#21 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

photoshop'd to get rid of some tape to test that theory. .... not so sure, its more oval than i thought.
not a mad fan of carbon fiber look.

hmmmm

Al

I like it so far...Another thing you could do to balance out the look and give it more of a round gauge appearance after skiining it in CF (faux or real) is to fit a couple of switches or a battery cutoff below the digidash...that would look pretty cool methinks

Al

Hilty

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#22 Monte Busa

Monte Busa

Super Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

You could just put some switches there and not do the silver outline...that would still balance it out...and you could do plain black plastic instead of CF....has a lot of potential that..."old meets new"

photoshop'd to get rid of some tape to test that theory. .... not so sure, its more oval than i thought.
not a mad fan of carbon fiber look.

hmmmm

Al

Al

Hilty

#23 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Any updates?

#24 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

Any updates?

Would love to say yeah loads..... but no.... ive been waiting for what seems like a bloody age for a sprayer. seems i should have booked about 8 months in advance for the good ones.

The dash is looking a bit better, i used a hot soldering iron and melted a segment of plastic into the place where the old speedo left a gap. Ive then sprayed the plastic case and drilled some wholes for some chrome toggle switches. i will get some pics when i get a chance.
the paint isnt the best as its not great conditions for spraying it. (its been about 2-3 degC needs 15+).

Ive bought a KAD bias pedal box which looks really good, pleased with that!

Al

#25 Ferrina1275

Ferrina1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

A bit like my cluster on my modded Smart!

#26 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

This pic doesn't do it justice as the leatherette looks bumpy, but its done at last. im quite proud of it. :P
only have to get the car painted now.....

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#27 minidrifter

minidrifter

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: bumpstart

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

hi there !

i have also got a k20 engine and box with wiring and ecu etc etc

i am making something very much like this and will get posting soon :thumbsup:

good to see yours...
good luck with it and i will be checkin out your progress here and there !!!

watson rallying are fabricating me a rear frame and i cant wait to get it so i can get cracking :D

cheers

will

#28 crispy

crispy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hey, I've been looking at the Z cars race kits but I've never seen this angle of shot that I've been looking for, can you take a picture of the firewall where the big bolt used to hold on the front subframe for me?

Also how'd it go together, do you just slip it in through the hole where the back seat was and then put the bar in that goes along by the pedals?

Thanks,
~Chris

#29 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hey, I've been looking at the Z cars race kits but I've never seen this angle of shot that I've been looking for, can you take a picture of the firewall where the big bolt used to hold on the front subframe for me?

Also how'd it go together, do you just slip it in through the hole where the back seat was and then put the bar in that goes along by the pedals?

Thanks,
~Chris

Sorry for not getting back in touch, mad few months waiting and waiting for the sprayer. anyhoo its back! so im back to building it now, just extra careful as the paint is so good!

To put the two together is quite hard, you have to attach the front subframe with wheels, then with the rear frame with its wheels on pointing to the sky and the rear of the car also pointing up, slide the two together as you lower it. then remove the rear wheels and giggle the back of the rear frame backwards (the tyres foul the rear arches if you leave them on) to get the leading edge of the frame over the cut edge on the shells floor. then put the wheels back on and start attaching the two together. i hope that makes sense.

you wanted some piccies....

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#30 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

more pics

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users