Photo
- - - - -

Engine Bay

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: What shopldi do to My engine/engine bay (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What shopldi do to My engine/engine bay

1. Fit MG Metro Rocker cover (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Fit as above but with Coil cover and alloy clamp (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Do the 2 above but with painted engine (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

4. Do all 3 above but with more Chrome (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

5. Leave it (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Local Club: Somerset Mini Owners

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:17 PM

I have been tidying up my car latly, and the Engine looks c**p could you help my desision to do stuff by doing the poll

thanks.

Sorry for my s**t spelling, shopldi, was ment to be, Should i

#2 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

any pics, personally id paint it and change the rocker cover or paint ur old rocker cover up! mayb a snazzy dipstick but not coil covers(i personally think these look tacky) get the wire brush on all the rusty bits, tidy up the manifold with some high temp paint

iv attached a pick of my old engine, it was still a bit messy but im changing the engine now so wll b alot neater

#3 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:23 PM

mmmmm. might think of trying to get BMC Green piant, what they used in the 60's/70's on engines

#4 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

any pics, personally id paint it and change the rocker cover or paint ur old rocker cover up! mayb a snazzy dipstick but not coil covers(i personally think these look tacky) get the wire brush on all the rusty bits, tidy up the manifold with some high temp paint

iv attached a pick of my old engine, it was still a bit messy but im changing the engine now so wll b alot neater

That looks sweet mate.

#5 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

any pics, personally id paint it and change the rocker cover or paint ur old rocker cover up! mayb a snazzy dipstick but not coil covers

Get a lucas sports coil, anodised gold, then anodised dipstick, paint the engine and block, polished rocker cover, then wire brush and paint brackets, clean carb up. and paint/polish thermostat housing to match rocker cover. Lastly nice new plugs and leads and a blue silicon rad top hose if you can get it... A K&N always helps too

#6 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

I could do with a K&N, still has that crappy Austin Rover Air box, got 4 new NGK spark plags and they have done less than 0.1 miles lol :thumbsup:

#7 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

a good polish up of the dash pot and themostat housign is always woth it... you can get neally mirro finish if u spend long enough on it!

BMC paint yum yum yes please i would ahve done my new engine in it but didnt find it in time for painting.

As for a sports coil, u cant always use this depends if u have electronic ignition or not? i had to change mine, though iv still got the old sports coil sat in my garage sumwhere if u want it

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:09 AM

Don't fit a coil cover (nasty, Chavvy, Max-Power junk). Coils produce a lot of heat in the centre of them and need to be allowed to cool, that's why they're filled with oil just like any other high power transformer. The oil heats up in the centre, circulates to the outside by gravity and cools down, if it can't cool down you'll shorten the life of your coil.

#9 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 12:59 AM

I was thinking of braiding my hoses. But it means disconecting them at one end. and I dont fancy doing that to be honnest. Especially the radiator hose.
I might get a set of blue NGKr HT leads. My engine is red, but its all faded off, I wouldnt mind paiting it blue but is it hard work? Would I have to drop the block out to do so?

<|Ben|>

#10 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:01 PM

was clearing out Garage and found a MK I Metro 998 head with rocker cover, it is slightly rusty and needs a lick of paint, i am thinking of using this rocker cover because of the A+ badge it has on it to identify the engine, or i might make the engine look like a 60's, 70's A - Series, any thoughts to this

#11 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:16 PM

get an alloy one.

#12 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

i dont relly want a reproduced rocker cover, i would fit a MG Metro one if i could find 1

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

You can't make an A+ look like an A series, the block is totally different so I'd go for making it look like an A+ if I were you! All the engine bay labels are still readily available from Somerford and Minispares (among others) though so you don't need to go using old tatty ones if you want a pristine resto job. You'll probably find a new rocker box label will set you back about two quid.

#14 Mini_resto

Mini_resto

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

i am thinking of getting some BMC Green paint and Austin Rocker badge from DSN classics

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:14 AM

What about the block ribs, the dipstick, the alternator mount, the core plugs,the distributor clamp.....
The whole block is physically different, painted green or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users