Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

Hi
I know I have already asked but I am sure one of you will have an answer :erm:
I have bought the Blaupunkt HU and some 6.5 inch Alpine speakers that dropped straight into the origional holes on the back shelve, what a fantastic improvemnet on the standard fit Rover cassette and speakers. However the sound is all behind me. Now I want to fit some speakers in the front, probably some full or mid range 4 inche ones. I know this is small fry stuff but would like some advice on fitting them. I have a 97 mini with a walnut dash and would prefer the speakers in front of me rather than the side (doors)The only thing I have thought of is getting some 4 inch speakers mounting them in boxes and screwing them somehow hanging from the bottom of the dash. Does anyone know I can get some boxes to do this or has anyone got a better idea?. I have looked on some mini sites but havnt seen any pictures of anyone doing this. I want it to look stock and not some bodge job so would be greatful for some advice.
Thanks in advance
Neon

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:07 PM

Blank of your air vents and use the holes in the dash, which is what they did in the last run of minis.

If you need fresh air , there's this big thing besides you with a handle and goes up and down ! :cheese:

#3 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

exactly right guessworks, or you could get speaker pods from Mini Trailers

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:13 PM

I'd go with the dash mounted 4 inch speakers... 13cm speakers in pods are nice if you're planning on installing 13cm components up front with no rear fill, but you should have the bass coming from the back anyway and you're actually creating fill up front now, so you could simply go with some 10cm coaxials.

#5 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

Thanks
Looking at the speaker pods led me to these http://members.aol.c...9195/index.html
I think they are just what I am after :grin:
Neon

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

Notice they never show anyone sat in the car !!

#7 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:31 PM

Ok don't know if this is possible, but if you are going with a centre console as well how about putting them in the center console on both sides. I think the speaker pods look like **** and the Mini is tight enough as it is.

MiniMoi

#8 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:42 PM

Yeah
I know what you mean about those speaker pods, showed them to my son and he laughed and said much the same. They show them in front of the fuse box on the drivers side, I have looked and there is no room and I am convinced that they will take up valuable leg room or att least make it feel tighter. Dont fancy a centre console they are just not "Mini" to me.
So I am back to getting some for the air vent holes, its a perfect position for sound, also it will solve another problem because water sometimes tracks down them and leaks into the dash.
I have measured the holes and they are 3.5 inches or 9cm. What is the biggest speaker that will fit in there? anyone tried, Do you think a 5 inch alpine coax will go? bearing in mind I am not planning any cuttings.
Aagin thanks for your help.
Neon

#9 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:43 PM

I'm using these in my Mini. OE speaker pods that usually go in the back, but I will have one on each door, with some Pioneer speakers sitting inside.

Posted Image

#10 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:10 PM

ill make you some frot speaker pods if you like to replace the door bins??

#11 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Neon trifle, personally I'd go with a set of quality 4" coaxial speakers in the vents. You don't mention if you have a dashboard or if you just have the vents.

If you have a dashboard, it's really simple really. the 9 cm hole is the right size for you to simply screw the speaker in from the back. The screw holes should be on the dash and the speaker will be effectively firing through the 9cm hole. If you play around with it a bit you may even get the vent bezels over it so it will look like you have stock vents rather than speakers in there.

http://www.caraudiod...roducts_id=3360

Those are very good speakers if you can afford them...

#12 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

Pavel
Thanks. sounds good to me as I do have a dash, I did not realise that you mount from the back. Those speakers are a bit pricey for me at the moment as I have just bought the mini, the hu and rear speakers :saywhat: also have another car, wife and kids to run :grin: . Any suggestions in the £30 range.
Neon

#13 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:13 PM

P.s. when I said that the speaker holes should be on the dash I didn't mean that they're there already lol I meant you'll have to screw the speaker into the dash... Sorry for the confusioN!

#14 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

I'm looking at other options that are cheaper but if I were you I'd simply wait for a few weeks or month and afford these. With 4" speakers, you don't want the cheap stuff to be honest since they'll rattle and distort at high volumes.

Another thing you will want to do is make sure that the Fade on your head unit is slightly biased to the rear, since 6.5" speakers can have and need more power going to them than the small front speakers. If you have it equal, it'll be alright at low volumes but when you crank it up just to hear the bass from the back, the fronts will already be distorting, and could possibly even be damaged...

I'll post speaker options when this internet starts to work better... stupid thing.

#15 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:32 PM

http://www.caraudiod...products_id=762
http://www.caraudiod...roducts_id=3142

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users