Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hello everyone,

Ive started to upload some pics of the FWD R1 mini build so just follow the link to my flickr set.
There will be more pics uploaded later today showing the frame we have built so far.

Cheers

http://www.flickr.co...57603671414132/

whats the number on the block above the 998cc? and has your head gasket got a tab with a number on it on the carb injector side?
looking very good.

#17 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

Hello everyone,

Ive started to upload some pics of the FWD R1 mini build so just follow the link to my flickr set.
There will be more pics uploaded later today showing the frame we have built so far.

Cheers

whats the number on the block above the 998cc? and has your head gasket got a tab with a number on it on the carb injector side?
looking very good.

Hey,

I had a look today and the number is "5PW00" above the 998cc mark on the engine. The head gasket does have a tab on it also.

Cheers

#18 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Check out our latest build pics. Today we managed to fit the prototype frame minus the diff cradle
which is yet to be built. The final frame will be made from 1" bent Steel tubing and we hope to
have that on its way tomorrow. The main task now is to house the diff and design a suitable
frame/cradle for it.

#19 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

hi there,

i'm thinking of doin the same type of thing as you to my mini. i was just wondering where you got your quaife ATB diff from or does anybody know of any second hand ones.

Cheers
Si

#20 jonas

jonas

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

so, you will use the original driveshafts? Should they last a long time?...
I'm also busy with a simular project. But with a 2004 zx10r engine. I don't know if it wil fit in the front, i see that the r1 engine is narrower(i think) and that bearly fits... the zx10 doesnt lean that much forward as the r1 i assume, this maybe an advantage?
Attached File  zx10.jpg   338.2K   83 downloads

#21 preston-7

preston-7

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

Hi, I have recently bought myself a mini minus, the fibreglass bodyshell, I really want to put an engine in it just like this, and build the frame myself, so the pictures and this thread are a huge help!

one of my main concerns however, will it fit?!

and also can anyone tell me what the difference in sprocket sizes are, and the benefites of bigger/smaller sprockets??!

sorry hope you dont mind me asking on your thread?!

Thanks

Nick

#22 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:27 AM

Hi,
I measured up for an r1 engine up front in my minus, it'll fit but you'll need a 5 inch high bonnet bulge!

Edited by Alburglar, 01 February 2008 - 01:27 AM.

#23 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Hi,
I measured up for an r1 engine up front in my minus, it'll fit but you'll need a 5 inch high bonnet bulge!

:)

the rest is just "technicalities"

Edited by mighty_mini, 01 February 2008 - 03:06 AM.

#24 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:22 AM

hi there,

i'm thinking of doin the same type of thing as you to my mini. i was just wondering where you got your quaife ATB diff from or does anybody know of any second hand ones.

Cheers
Si

Hi Si,
Sorry for the delayed response, just back from holiday. The quaife diff was bought new from a place in the uk
called "BJ Autobits" (see http://www.bjautobits.co.uk/). I tried sourcing one on ebay but they don't come up
that often as second hand units. Hope this helps.

Cheers

#25 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

so, you will use the original driveshafts? Should they last a long time?...
I'm also busy with a simular project. But with a 2004 zx10r engine. I don't know if it wil fit in the front, i see that the r1 engine is narrower(i think) and that bearly fits... the zx10 doesnt lean that much forward as the r1 i assume, this maybe an advantage?
Attached File  zx10.jpg   338.2K   83 downloads

Hi,
Yes at first we will be using the original mini driveshafts and they will be "cut and shut" to length. This is at least a
cheap way of getting the car running. Im not sure how long they will last but we will have to see. When the final
build is complete, I plan to have a set of custom driveshafts made to length, these tend to be around £300 for a
pair. The main issue with the R1 fitment is the front end where engine meets bonnet. The bulge on the cam cover
at the driver's side was fouling the bonnet at first so we applied some more tilt on the engine but nothing too drastic.

#26 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

Just checked out some of your pics.
Some cracking work going on there.

We must have been separated at birth????

I have built a couple of strikers, and am currently planning a ZX12r Mini.

Small world isn't it.

All the best with the project

Edited by lchris21, 26 February 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#27 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hello to all,

Much appreciate the interest in the project, we are about 70 hours in so far, a fair way to go but its all progress. The current task is designing the diff cradle/housing and bearing blocks. I hope to have some more pics uploaded soon. I have now setup a link to the photos so anyone who is interested in our progress can now go to the following link each time...

www.flickr.com/photos/r1manx

Cheers

#28 mr_conrod

mr_conrod

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys,

New pictures showing latest state of the build. We tacked in the main frame last night after carefully adjusting the height/position of the engine. It should look really neat when everything is in place, the diff cradle will be the next headache.

Picture link....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/r1manx/

Cheers

#29 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

lookin great, cant wait to see how it pans out

#30 lchris21

lchris21

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

Aaarrrghhh !!!

Too much progress, slow down while I catch up. Not even started mine yet :thumbsup:

Looking superb. Love the shifter idea.

All the best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users