#1 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hello has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.jonspeedr.../shop/index.asp

Ive got a 1380 stage 3 engine at the moment but was considering buying one of these kits.

Has anyone fitted one themselves?

Do you think an 11 stud head would be necesary?
How about gearbox mods, im running standard box and diff?

Any feedback would be appriciated
cheers

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:45 AM

I looked at this kit close up at the weekend (at the Malvern show) and talked to the guy on the stand about it.

He seemed a VERY knowledgable and friendly chap and the kit looked OK too. No bulkhead mods are required and the kit seems reasonably easy to fit. I have no experience of actually fitting one, but a mate of mine has (he may be along to post in here later). I told him that I was thinking of maybe charging my 1380 one day and he said that with my current spec and that kit I'd be looking at around 150bhp. In terms of bhp per £ it's a damn good piece of kit. I wouldn't want to run that much power through your standard gearbox to be honest.

I'd say it's worth talking to Jonspeed about it to be honest, they will be able to answer all of your questions. :lol:

#3 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

The Vmax kit is slightly more expensive, but i'd go with Vmax every time !

#4 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:51 AM

There has also been a number of other posts about this kit and replies from Carl at Jonspeed!
You need to be aware that, although the kit is excellent and amazing value for what it is and does, your engine needs to be in a good state of repair to get the best out of it!
Do speak to Carl at Jonspeed, he will be more than helpful!

#5 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

Whats the difference between the vmax and jonspeed kit? what makes the vmax better?

I have a 1380 with stage 3 head, sw5 cam and single hif44, by the sounds of it if i put a supercharger kit on its gona kick out a lot of horses,
has anyone got anything similar?
do you use it everyday?
if i were to put straight cut drops and cross pin diff would that be sufficient gearbox mods?
centre main strap?
ii stud head?

i am very tempted with one of these kits but am just after some opinions on different options and what people have done realy, whats works and what doesnt and advice would be great...

#6 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Whats the difference between the vmax and jonspeed kit? what makes the vmax better?

I have a 1380 with stage 3 head, sw5 cam and single hif44, by the sounds of it if i put a supercharger kit on its gona kick out a lot of horses,
has anyone got anything similar?
do you use it everyday?
if i were to put straight cut drops and cross pin diff would that be sufficient gearbox mods?
centre main strap?
ii stud head?

i am very tempted with one of these kits but am just after some opinions on different options and what people have done realy, whats works and what doesnt and advice would be great...

superchargedclubby has the jonspeed gear, you should give him a nudge and ask him, i know hes very very pleased with the kit hes got from them

#7 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

Differences between the VMAX kit, and the Jonspeed kit?

Vmax made the original, done all the R&D - Jonspeed just copied it. Vmax knows more, and has after-sales second to none

#8 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Not strictly true. Jonspeed made a number of improvements/modifications to an existing idea some of which are now to be found on the Vmaxscart kit! The kit is basically the same as they both use the same BMW supercharger. Until a different charger is used they will seem to be similar!

#9 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

how much commission you on mr blues? :)

#10 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

None! Just like to see a fair discussion!

#11 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

Vmax everytime...not bought either of these kits but been on his rollers a few times and he's a top bloke. And looks after his customers!

On the other hand jonspeed....

http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=187302

#12 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Differences between the VMAX kit, and the Jonspeed kit?

Vmax made the original, done all the R&D - Jonspeed just copied it. Vmax knows more, and has after-sales second to none

you have to be joking i bought a vmax kit last year quoted 4-5 weeks delivery time

never answers the phone or replies to emails took 12 weeks for the kit to turn up then the manifold was twisted so had to go back

worst after sales service/ comunication i have come across in my 38 years on this planet took the money quick enough then hard to get hold of

won't use them again in a millon years and know others have said the same

now have a jonspeed kit so have seen both companys in action jonspeed always easy to contact so they get my vote

#13 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

Well looking at the costs of these kits I wouldn't buy either. For less than 1/2 the price I turbo'd my car, and turbos are superior to superchargers in so many ways.

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Moss Europe have a supercharger kit coming out VERY soon (see Matrix' project thread). Personally I'd wait and see how much there's is, that is if you've got your heart set on a S/C.

#15 Jake Blues

Jake Blues

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

Vmax everytime...not bought either of these kits but been on his rollers a few times and he's a top bloke. And looks after his customers!

On the other hand jonspeed....

http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=187302

That link is so out of date it's laughable!
That was all sorted out, the customer (and his mechanic) accepted that it wasn't as they had originally posted and Jonspeed have gone out of their way to help him out to his complete satisfaction.

Please be careful to add accurate and personal experience only to these threads, not heresay or conjecture!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users