17 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

Anybody going? I'm going to the saturday stage and i'm setting off at 3am to get there at about 6:30 for the stage. Should be - went last year too!

Anyone else going?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

no but i checked the tv guide and can see it on any where

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

yeah i dont think its on anywhere! Makes it seem like a dying sport :lol:

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

show crappy dancing and singing on tv but no motor sport :lol:

#5 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

Its usually on ITV4 inthe afternoon/eve. Go to itv's site and search WRC and it cones up.

Just got back from wales :lol: It was very muddy, and so very very very very wet, it was windy and it was foggy.... but it was sooooooooooooooooooooo worth it! :dontgetit:

#6 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:48 AM

Just got back from wales biggrin.gif It was very muddy, and so very very very very wet, it was windy and it was foggy....

Yes it's always like that.

:dontgetit: :lol:

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

are you sure you didnt go the wrong way and end up in cornwall ?

#8 gavfoz

gavfoz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

Glad you had a good time. I went a few years back and was impressed by the speed and sound of the cars. I went to the Cardiff indoor special stage as well. Awesome.

I see we only get 50mins of coverage on ITV197. . . A whole weekend in 50mins? What a highlights show!

#9 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

Yea, Millenium stage is awsome, we went to that last year, they just go sideways for 2 laps with dirt tyres on the smooth concrete >_< And the sound of them just echo's round the stadium, its ace. And of course it dry! This year they've got loadsa of old rally cars that have won at rally GB doing laps of the circuit or somthin? because its the 75th aniversary of RAC/rallyGB/WRC.

Saying that seeing them bean around the muddy welsh hills and valleys was just as good. Even if it was so cold and wet. Walters arena on the rehola stage is amazing because you see the cars for about a mile, they come down a big hill in the distance, then into a valley with a purpose made bit of track with a few fast corners a hairpin and a jump. Then we went to rolfson (SP) which has a massively fast high speed straight... it was so foggy there tho, so you kinda hear it miles off then see it for about 1/2 a second as it flys past at full chat - you never really realise how fast they're goin on the telly, its mental!

I love rally cars to bits especially all the old skool cars, but nothing beats the top spec WRC cars and drivers its sooo good! Bring on next year! Woop! :(

#10 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

no but i checked the tv guide and can see it on any where

Well I’ve had a look and all I can find is on ITV4 Sunday 2nd (sky 120, freeview 28)

12.30pm - WRC’s craziest moments

4.40pm - World rally championships: greatest stages
5.40pm - WRC’s craziest moments
6.40pm - World rally championship highlights – action from the Wales rally GB

1.05pm - World rally championships: greatest stages

#11 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

how bad is that

they should remove that rubbish singing program and put the rallying on then

#12 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

It was worse the other week, they took the Irish rally off the telly for darts! yes... darts! Apparently it was on at some point, but dunno when but it wernt when it was scheduled for, and i never saw it.

Rubbish! >_<

#13 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

we need a good British driver

#14 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

w00p! Just got back!

We got there at the perfect time - about 6:30am and we managed to park up less than 30 yards away from the stage - so we could get a couple hours kip before the cars came through!

It was really good! The weather was really cold though but we were wearing plenty of layers and hat/gloves so it wasn't too bad. It rained on and off throughut the day but nothing heavy really - we had our golf brollies anyway >_<

Its sooo great watching the cars - nothing like on TV - you get the sounds of the cars miles away, the ground shaking as they bomb it towards you, the smell of burning brakes and get to see them better! You really underestimate the speed the cars go too - they were reaching speeds of 130mph+ today :|

Last year we sort of floated between a couple of corners but this year we decided to go off and explore, walking behind the treeline along the stage and found loads of great spots!

We started off on this corner:
Posted Image

but we got bored of watching the back of the cars so we crept round and sat on the outside of the corner just a couple of metres from the track. It wasn't long before the safety marshals told us to step back abit but we got a couple of great pics there like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then we moved round again and found a big open area where you could watch the cars from a distance for a few hundred metres:

Posted Image

Bt then we went back to the hairpin that we spent most of our time at last year. You get to see the cars bombing down the straight, setting their brakes on fire trying to stop before drifting the car round the hairpin - its an aweson spot if you can get near the front of the crowds:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Heres a quick vid of the hairpin:

http://s186.photobuc...nt=MOV02336.flv

We also witnessed which must of been the slowest tyre changed in rally history - the guys in this evo casualy just strolled around fixing it in there own time - took about 10 minutes!

Posted Image

So yeah its a great experiance! I'd recommend it to anyone! As long as you prepare for alsorts of weather you'll enjoy it! I reckon next year when i'm driving i might go in my mini and make a full weekend of it - want to see the super special stages too!

Edited by minimadmike, 01 December 2007 - 11:28 PM.

#15 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

about 10 years ago i took my 5 year old nephew to watch the tour of Cornwall rally

as we drove in on the the private land where the stage was going to be a marshal came up to us and asked us for our time card

he thought we were in the rally, i must of had the youngest co driver ever

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users