Photo

13" Alloys And Sportspack Arches, Problem?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 manda_88

manda_88

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

thinking of getting new fiberglass sportspack arches, with 13" deepdish alloys (7j rim width) how much modifing is needed? if work is needed i dnt have the skill or tools to do it myself, how much would it cost for a bodyshop to do it?

#2 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

A fair amount will need to be cut from the inner arch to stop them from rubbing, even with 13x6 they will still rub on standard inner arches. Not sure how much a bodyshop would charge for this though. Why not go for smaller wheels, you can still have the sportspack arches.

#3 manda_88

manda_88

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

think i mite have to ge the 12's, pity tho i was getting the 13" cheap, in white, would look awsum!

#4 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:54 PM

I really don't know how much the arch work is going to cost, it might be quite cheap. It may even work out cheaper to get it done and get the cheap 13s, than splash out on a decent set of 12s.

#5 manda_88

manda_88

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

if anybodys got any pics of either that would be helpful

#6 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

13s...

Posted Image

10s...

Posted Image

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Moved to Bodywork.

#8 tomzo22

tomzo22

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Sorry for this stupid question, but you often hear people saying that they might get bigger wheels to feel out there arches, but from what i see, the wheels appear to fill (width ways not height) the arches, how come?

#9 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Sorry for this stupid question, but you often hear people saying that they might get bigger wheels to feel out there arches, but from what i see, the wheels appear to fill (width ways not height) the arches, how come?

If you are refering to mine, it because those 10s have built in spacers in order to clear the 8.4" disc brakes. They are 10x5 whereas the Sportspack wheels are 13x6. Due to being spaced out the 10s stick out the same distance as the 13s. The 10s also have 165/70/R10 tyres which means that the overall height of the wheel is almost the same as the 13s (175/50/R13).

Then you just need to set the ride height correctly so they don't look overarched (the rear on mine now sits lower than that photo above).

#10 oli8925

oli8925

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

if you do get 13's make sure you get it sorted out properly no matter what the cost. mine came with the car (13x7s and fibreglass sportspack arches moulded into the body) but whoever put them on did a C**p job! there are uneven gaps between wheels and arches, and on full lock the wheels catch! so now the arches are coming away from the car creating gaps, which water gets in, and widens the gap more, and creates nasty rust. now im looking at a nasty summer job replacing the arches and maybe the panels, and of course a little paint job to go with them! grrrrr! :dontgetit:

Attached File  S5030645.JPG   45.46K   11 downloads
Attached File  S5030646.JPG   212.57K   7 downloads
Attached File  S5030647.JPG   268.76K   8 downloads

#11 lankydan

lankydan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hi. Just thought id share some info. I have got 12x6 with sportpack arches and they are great. you only have to chop away a tiny bit of the front of the outer wing as they do catch when on full lock.

#12 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Hi. Just thought id share some info. I have got 12x6 with sportpack arches and they are great. you only have to chop away a tiny bit of the front of the outer wing as they do catch when on full lock.

Do you have to spacer them though?

#13 lankydan

lankydan

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

Do you have to spacer them though?

NOOO! they make the problem worse as they push the wheels out and therefore cause the wheel to rub even more on the outer arch.

#14 pinch

pinch

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

if you cut the wing away, make sure you weld in the sportspack wing reinforcing panel, or whatever they call it, it makes the wing nice and strong and stiff again, and is easier and neater than trying to remake the arch lip with hammer and dolly. all factory sportspack minis had this panel fitted. i got some from minispares.

#15 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

That's because they are 12", Sportspack wheels are 13" and so need more cutting to stop them from rubbing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users