#1 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Local Club: Leeds MOC

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

As a few of you know, I've got an interview for a job on Tuesday & I need to update my CV.

I know the general layout of the CV, but I'm not sure how to write my personal statement.

Do you write it like :

Works hard to achieve goals & targets. Polite and friendly

Or

I work hard to achieve all goals & targets set. I am a polite & friendly, and uses initative
blah blah

Please help!

If anyone has a CV on their pc's could you give me some idea of what to write??!!

I need this job!!

Taaaa.

#2 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

The second one. Write it in proper sentences!
good luck

:D

#3 mattyoung69

mattyoung69

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

2nd - sounds alot better and makes sense when you read it.

Good Luck! :D

#4 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

definately the second one. if you get stuck, theres tons of websites than can help writing one, like the job centre website. search for what you want in google, theres plenty. also try monster.co.uk as that has cv and personal statement building tools, i used it and it was a great help.

#5 MiniSal

MiniSal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

I need to get stuck into this too.......last week, my boss at City Link slapped a redundancy notice on me two days before my Mum's funeral :D

#6 minimender

minimender

• Members
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Keep it short and to the point, chances are they'll bin it if its too heavy reading, 'cause some interveiwers are quite thick.
( interveiwers on forum excepted) :D

#7 minimarco

minimarco

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

all the resumes i've written are second person narrative point form. i think the first one sounds better because its more formal and have a confidence to it. the second one sounds like you are saying it, and why should the reader believe you?

its also better to keep it short and simple, they have hundreds to read and its better to skip the copula and get to the point.

example:

-hard working
-good at following instructions
-got it and ain't afraid to show it (cleavage)

Edited by minimarco, 14 January 2008 - 04:37 AM.

#8 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

haha :D well its all written & printed out ready for tomorrow,

i'm a little nervous, but fingers corssed!

x

#9 glennthrower

glennthrower

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Freakz of Sussex

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

depending what job your going for, just be confident and say you are willing to learn things, works alot of the time.

And make sure you have a good portfolio - not neccsary in all jobs

GoodLuck

G

#10 sheree&the-gt

sheree&the-gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:04 AM

its only for a small part tiem job, but i always take pride in what i present!

i'm quite experienced in the job role, so i'm quite excited! :D

x

#11 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:05 AM

I wouldn't include a personal statement. It looks like you're filling space or trying to distract the reader from something else.
That kind of information should go in a covering letter, really. :D

#12 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Good luck with it!
Mkae sure you let us know.

:thumbsup:

Edited by stickycreambun, 14 January 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#13 MiniSal

MiniSal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

So is it the norm these days to include a personal statement ? I haven't got one on my CV. In fact I was totally shocked when I saw a CV with a personal statement when recruiting someone at work.......according to what the candidate had written, they could practically walk on water, whereas the truth of the matter was that they could not hold down a job due to constant absenteeism, so we were told by one of the references we spoke to !

I thought CV's were supposed to be brief, factual things, designed to get you an interview, where things are of course discussed in more detail.

#14 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

So is it the norm these days to include a personal statement ? I haven't got one on my CV. In fact I was totally shocked when I saw a CV with a personal statement when recruiting someone at work.......according to what the candidate had written, they could practically walk on water, whereas the truth of the matter was that they could not hold down a job due to constant absenteeism, so we were told by one of the references we spoke to !

I thought CV's were supposed to be brief, factual things, designed to get you an interview, where things are of course discussed in more detail.

i was always told at school when applying for jobs to include a personal statement. now i dont bother too much, i let the CV do the talking, and the interview is just like a formal-ish chat. Try to prepare some questions to ask the interviewer, you will probably find they will answer most of your questions without you asking anyway, but dont be afraid to ask for thing in more detail, shows that you're dead keen on getting the job because you want to know more.
i always get nervous before an interview, i find that turning up earlier so that you can catch a few breaths beforehand and think things over helps, and there is herbal remedies to help with nerves like Kalms which do work. The job i currently have (and love it too), the interview was a nightmare, because i got sent the wrong address, but i left home early enough to drive to the correct place. Fortunately i got the job because of how i came across in the interview, i had the relevant experience and the right attitude for the job as well. Obviously good references will help, and being confident in the interview room is a must as they may only do 1 interview, so first impressions matter.

its probably a bit much for some part time work but if you can nail this interview then its all good things for the future.

#15 b.e.a.n.y

b.e.a.n.y

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I had an interview today, all went lovely and now I have the job!!

Good luck tomorrow Sheree! :thumbsup:

xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users