#1 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

in the summer im thinkin of gettin my mini re-shelled!! i was jus wondering tho, seeing as it's registered as a white mini, would i be allowed to have to new shell a different colour or would it have to be white?
if that makes sense??
cheers, sian

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

if you reshell your mini, you can have it painted whatever colour you like, all you have to do is to inform DVLA on your V5

simalarlly if you change the colour at any time you do the same inform DVLA on the V5

if you are re shelling it remember you have to use a new shell not a donar shell..

if you are using a donar shell (ie;- a shell rom another vehicle) then you have to have the car tested differantlly, depending on how many new components you use from your mini now

there are a few posts up about reshelling so have a read through them for more information

#3 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:49 AM

Ive just seen a picture of your mini. The body work dosent look that bad. I couldnt see any major signs of rot/rust.

Wouldnt it work out cheaper to get a full bare metal respray on your current shell rather than buying a new shell, then paying for it spraying.

Just an idea, seems more logical! :tongue:

<|Ben|>

#4 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

ya see, thats what i thought only my mum seems certain i need a new shell!!

still tryin to talk her round it!! seeing as though im gonna be payin for most of it as well!!

your right it does seem more logical :tongue:

#5 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:41 PM

Just had another look at the body work (a better look) and it does appear to be slightly rotting from what I can see.
As I cant actually *Poke it with a screwdriver* I cant tell if its rot right through the body or just surface rust.

If it is only surface rust, then you need to attack it QUICK! :tongue:

Get rid of it. Even if it means you having a really bad area in touch up pen for a few weeks. It will stop the rust from diging its way through your car...

Good luck...

<|Ben|>

#6 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

hmmm? i dont even know how bad the rust is on the rusty spots to be honest!! mite take a look at it later! have a look how bad it is! if i can ill get some pics and then u can tell me how bad it is :grin: cus i wont have any idea! altho having sed that i imagine it'll be pretty obvious if its REAL bad!

spanx! sian!

#7 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

looking at the pics in the thread about the arches it doesn't look like you need a re-shell at all! best thing to do is take it too a local body shop and see what they say about it. I thought it was looking really nice, only noticed a small patch of rust just above the sills behind the drivers door. If there are no holes then thats a very good sign lol! But even if there are a few holes they can be fixed or maybe just a new panel or 2 will be needed. But as far as i can see a complete re-shell would be unneccessary unless you want to build a show winning piece of art(which any mini already is!).
But i must say it's nice to see women interested in cars, i bore my girlfriend all the time talkin about mine!

:lol:* :worship: :)*

#8 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

But i must say it's nice to see women interested in cars

Took the words right out of my mouth! :grin:

I just mentioned that on the thread about the arches, And until I saw her picture, I actually expected her to be a guy! :erm: No offence or anything! :cheese:

My mini had a patch of rust on the Left A panel. about the size of a penny. I attacked it with a screwdriver and it went straight through the pannel :)

Anyway, A bit of body filler. Primer and a paint. it looks pretty good now. Still not perfectly smooth. but its very small and it will do. :lol:

Defonatly dont reshell unless there somthing seriously wrong with the shell. :tongue:

#9 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

now ya see thats what i keep tryin to explain to my mum, but she says that cus we've spent so much money on doing the engine up and gettin the 'underneath' sorted out then it would make sense to make the shell as good as the rest!......gonna show her what uv said and she what she says!
we're gonna take a trip down the surf blue (mini garage near me) and see what they say about reshelling etc!
deffinately want to get her sprayed though!!
and.....is it poss to change the way the lights are without gettin a new shell and starting from stratch?? if that makes sense?
but part from that...thanx for the comments :)

#10 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:39 AM

now ya see thats what i keep tryin to explain to my mum, but she says that cus we've spent so much money on doing the engine up and gettin the 'underneath' sorted out then it would make sense to make the shell as good as the rest!......gonna show her what uv said and she what she says!
we're gonna take a trip down the surf blue (mini garage near me) and see what they say about reshelling etc!
deffinately want to get her sprayed though!!
and.....is it poss to change the way the lights are without gettin a new shell and starting from stratch?? if that makes sense?
but part from that...thanx for the comments :)

:tongue:

What do you mean by "change the lights"

DO you mean put clear indicator lenses on?
Do you mean put spotlights on?
Do you mean put angle eyes on?

Most lights will fit straight onto a normal mini shell. Ive never seen a mini with odd looking lights?

:wales:

<|Ben|>

#11 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

nah i mean like this.....hope rob_mini and bigbadboab dont mind me using their pics as an example?

Posted Image

and...

Posted Image

:wales: sian! :tongue:

#12 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

looks fairly difficult to me i know that bigbadboab is having trouble with water collecting in his. but i guess that fixing some kind of panel behind to hold the lights and not get in the way of the fuel tank must be fairly hard.
However they do look sweet. If ur a rich girl possibly you could pay for it to be done? lol

#13 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:23 PM

i wudnt call myself fairly rich by any means, (infact im a fairly poor student :) )! im jus working full time over the summer and intend on spending the majority of what i earn on my ickle mini seeing as tho ive had her 2 years and not really done much to her :tongue:

think id end up having to get someone to do it for me anyways, as im rubbish wen it comes to cars!

#14 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

:saywhat:

Personally I wouldnt go for the rear tunnels on the lights.
But if you are geting a full respray anyway, Then yes, I suppose it wouldnt be too much extra work to the body.

Not 100% sure on how you would do it. But whoever does it, make sure the tunnels are set at a slight angle towards the ground behind the car because ive heared that bigbadboab is having difficulty with water collecting in the tunnels and rotting it.

They do look amazing like, but theres a hell of a lot of work involved, And I cant see them being cheap either.

<|Ben|>

#15 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

yea i think they'd be mega expensive! i jus dont really like how boring my lights look at the mo! is there any other ways i could have them? without it being so much work etc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users