dekz2uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred & Exhausted mini club

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

:lol: Tired of having your sills rust away before you know it? :thumbsup:

Then here's a decent tip for you - fill the sills with expanded foam, the type you squidge into noox & crannies.

It fills the sill to bursting point, no air gaps & weighs b*gg*r all. Bye Bye rust :proud: :proud: :lol:

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

i have heard of this before but what happens when your sill's rust from the outside and you need to weld ?

#3 dekz2uk

dekz2uk

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred & Exhausted mini club

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

i have heard of this before but what happens when your sill's rust from the outside and you need to weld ?

:proud: If your careful enough, they shouldn't rust from the outside - it's the "hidden terror - rusting from the inside" that this addresses. :proud:

#4 liam_italian

liam_italian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

Didn't they fill the sills on early Mk1's with expanding foam?

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:11 PM

what about condensation? :proud:

#6 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Didn't they fill the sills on early Mk1's with expanding foam?

i've heard this before,also normally find foam pads stuffed down the top of door pillers,when i've welded on a mini i normally set light to the glue that stick's carpet down!.

i've got loads of expanding foam as i use it alot at work,but not keen on the idea of spraying it between the cill's,unless where you live flood's often an it may help your mini float :proud:

#7 VulcanBomber

VulcanBomber

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

I cant see this working. I have just replaced my sills, they lasted 5 years.

Expanding foam will just soak up all the water and damp and rot inside out. The best thing is to waxoil and keep them clean and dry as much as possible.

Oh hello by the way!

#8 Miniphil

Miniphil

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

First you should protect your sills with whatever waterproofer you have.
Second stage would be to use the expanding foam.
Believe it or not if the sills are damp or wet when the foam goes in that is good.
The expanding foam reacts with water to create an airtight seal.
And if you protect the outer sills with something else there should be no problems.
I use the stuff in my profession and have never had to return to any work I have undertaken.
Builders use the stuff for sealing doors and window frames as well. This means exposure to elements 24 hours a day
Problem may occur if you have to weld a panel close to the foam.
It will just melt away and there is a small risk of fire.

Just my opinion !

Fingers tired from typing. BYE

#9 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Local Club: Teeside Yesteryear Motor Club

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

I just think this is the same as the under arch guard thing. I'd rather let air dry the moisture and be able to waxoyl it all than think it was dry when really there is moisture behind that I can't get too, rusting my car away

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

WHAT???? :) That is the most stupid suggestion I have ever heard of. it is bound to collect water, and if anyone ever has to replace the sills, they will hate you for it! I've worked on cars that seem to be made of that cr@p, seriously, don't do it. A properly fitted sill, (NOT an oversill) will last 10 years plus if it's fitted properly and kept regularly waxoyled.

#11 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

yeah waxoil. no way would i spay foam into a sill this stuff itself holds water against the metal so would aid rusting i used to retore vw beetles and they use a foam in the rear quaters under the air vent this stuff causes it to rust out all the way down where the rear wing bolts on but on earlier ones where no foam was fitted this area did not suffer just lower down where the water collects which is an easier repair. just prepare the inner sill area well use a good product to seal it i use wurth rust stop primer expensive but good amd use a weld through primer for the seams (used to use zink but now use an alloy).

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Original Beetles had foam injected body cavities and didn't seem to suffer rust as a result. The polyurethane foam injection stuff used by the building trade is closed cell (a mass of bubbles) so won't absorb water. One plus of foam injection is that you will effectively be making a composite structure - a stiffer body shell. Keeping the rust at bay would depend on the foam's ability to stay stuck to metal. I don't know how much of a fire hazard it would be when welding, but can't imagine it being that bad considering some of the trades that use it - perhaps someone could conduct an experiment? I imagine it's filled with an inert gas.

BL did like stuffing open cell foam up door posts and in other places - not a good idea as far as rust busting goes :)

#13 duncancallum

duncancallum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Local Club: South Lancs Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

er not sure of this im sure it would just act like a sponge

when im ready to proof mine (not till the summer and they have dried out ) i am thinking about sealing the vents up and fill the sill with thined down wax oil and then when full drain the sill out into a tub and un block the vents and do the other side

i also have 3 drilled holes in vairous parts of the sill to get a lance in

#14 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:22 PM

i had mine replaced then i drilled a hole from the inside of the car, pumped full of waxoyl with the thin pipe included in the kit to get all over the sills,

when it ran out of the squares i moved across until all was done the rubber bunged toe hole drilled! shall redo every 6months or so and should last a long time!

#15 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

er not sure of this im sure it would just act like a sponge

when im ready to proof mine (not till the summer and they have dried out ) i am thinking about sealing the vents up and fill the sill with thined down wax oil and then when full drain the sill out into a tub and un block the vents and do the other side

i also have 3 drilled holes in vairous parts of the sill to get a lance in

Early sixties Minis had foam filled sills.....dont go there :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users