23 replies to this topic

#1 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:41 PM

I've been toying with this idea for a while!

My cars paintwork is looking quite tatty after the rust repairs I have done and really want to repaint the entire car, but don't really want to spent lots of money on painting. I have seen great results from using rollers to paint a car and would like to do it to mine.

I have seen some really nice results using smooth red hammerite, but not seen how it's done. The main thing I want to know is what thinner needs to be used and at what ratio etc?

Cheers.

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

i have never used it but have a read of my Dolly the camper project and retro_10's roller painting project and go from there

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

If you're gonna do it, don't use hammerite special thinners, waste of money,... use Celly thinners,.. also,.. change roller often,.. the celly thinners will slowly eat it.

The late Shaun smith (RIP) painted his mini hammerite but used a spray gun,... he waited 2 weeks for it to harden i think before he cut it back and buffed up, came up very nicely. There's no reason why a few layers of rolled on hammerite wouldn't be able to produce very good results if you have the patience.

Few words,... use a primer,... it will help the rolling method along much smoother and the paint will cling much better helping to combat runs etc. Do not aim to get total colour coverage coverage on the first coat,.. you should a begine to get a nice opaque finish on around the 3-4 coat if you're doing it right. Lots of Thin coats dry much better and harder than one big thick squadgy one that takes a month to get a skin on lol

and remember,.. the key to a good paint job is all about prep. ALL about prep. Do it once, do it right.

P.S> rattle can primer will suffice.,

Edited by Retro_10s, 27 January 2008 - 11:05 PM.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

Roller painting is certainly possible, there was a good thread a while back. I'm not sure Hammerite would be the best choice of paint though. It uses Xylene which is pretty volatile. An oil based paint, as used for painting trucks, might be a better bet.

#5 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

have you thought about coach paint.
when rollered on that leaves a good finish and the paint is very hard.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

have you thought about coach paint.
when rollered on that leaves a good finish and the paint is very hard.

Coach paint is enamel, sasme as rustoleum

Try 70/30 thinners to paint, it goes on quite thin.

#7 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

I've been toying with this idea for a while!

My cars paintwork is looking quite tatty after the rust repairs I have done and really want to repaint the entire car, but don't really want to spent lots of money on painting. I have seen great results from using rollers to paint a car and would like to do it to mine.

I have seen some really nice results using smooth red hammerite, but not seen how it's done. The main thing I want to know is what thinner needs to be used and at what ratio etc?

Cheers.

i think this is a great idear might give it a go myself as my mini is silver and i would like it red have to wait to the weater gets warmer as it cold in aberdeen!!!!!!

#8 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

I helped a friend paint a 7.5 tonne pigeon wagon once with rollers and I was dumb struck by the quality of the finish, it was great, and only a week prior we had painted my mark 1 with guns and the sheen was no where near as good.

He had bought a paint going by the name of techaoloid, or something like that - sold into the classics market - you had to warm the paint up, in our instance using an old camping stove and pan of water - but as it cooled it shrank and the finish was outstanding !!!

is this stuff still available I wonder? takes me back a bit :kiss:

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

I helped a friend paint a 7.5 tonne pigeon wagon once with rollers and I was dumb struck by the quality of the finish, it was great, and only a week prior we had painted my mark 1 with guns and the sheen was no where near as good.

He had bought a paint going by the name of techaoloid, or something like that - sold into the classics market - you had to warm the paint up, in our instance using an old camping stove and pan of water - but as it cooled it shrank and the finish was outstanding !!!

is this stuff still available I wonder? takes me back a bit =]

Tekaloid is still available,... similar to other paints of this nature such as tractol and brightside (brightside is VERY good)

#10 axmini

axmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

i might give this a go my self i keep having diffrent idea's on what paint job i want but something like this that i can say i did myself would be ace but does anybody know how much of this Tekaloid paint i would need to cover my mini?

#11 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

What is the best then? I would like to make a start on this over the next few weeks.

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

well you can see the results of rustoleum

#13 Adcuz

Adcuz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

I've just found a good retailer of Rusoleum.

Check it out

My order is incoming :)

#14 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

I've just found a good retailer of Rusoleum.

Check it out

My order is incoming :)

what size can would you go for?

#15 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

what would class as a mineral spirit ,would that be white spirit?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users