16 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

I've been pipe dreaming about sticking a K series in my next mini, but I like the simplicity of the A series, and most of what I've heard about the K series has been Spi's and Mpi's, is there a carb K series?! If so what capacity is it? Also I think a 1.4 or 1.6 16V would be cool, I'm guessing these are not carb engines, is it possible to put the 16V head on a carb K series (if it exists!).

Thanks in advance, more questions to follow!!

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

In theory you can stick a carb on anything, all you need is an inlet manifold shaped to the head and appropriate carb ( eg a nice weber os sommit like that )

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

The carb'd version of the K has an SU which was designed specifically for it. It's called a KIF carb. It does come as a 16 valve AFAIK, and I think it was 1.1 and 1.4, not sure about the 1.6 and 1.8 units.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

look for a compane called frontline they do k series conversions for mg s and run carbs on them :cheese:

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

just had a quick google and found this...

http://members.aol.c...ews/kengine.htm

#6 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:46 AM

Frontline is Frontline spridget, find it through the MG owners club site I think. They normally do the whole (rwd) conversion though. If you want power, their 1.8VVSi is nice;)

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:46 AM

Well, its good to know there is a carb version, think I may take a trip down to the scrappy to look at a few different engines, thanks guys!

#8 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:13 AM

hello, my dads got on in his mg zr! there also in other mg's and rovers and in lotuses. :grin: and on work experiance we put a new on in an mg after the silly woman seized it!

i think its 1.6 or 1.8 weve got a 1.8, 16V DOHC VVC (veriable valve timing) that means the harder yopu put your foot down the timing changed for the best performance, its got about 160bhp and my dads ZR on paper does 0-60 in 5 n a half or 6 and a half cant qwite remember. With the shame full demise of the god bless mg rover, im sure all teh car prices will be shlashed so youle be able to get one cheap, but if you put it in a mini it would go like a rocket! and then if you tune it up! easly get 200bhp so you can see of lotuses on a straight! :P :P

#9 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:45 AM

The best thing about the K-series though (I thought about putting one in a Midget) is the one thing that makes them UNsuitable really for Minis I would think. They bolt into the top of the box, NOT have the box built into the sump. That way it can be front OR rear wheel drive with the same motor. BUT, it makes the engine MUCH taller on the box I would think? Is there space in a Mini? Even a Clubby would be too small I would have thought.

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

I know K series have been put in minis before, and in fact there was an article in one of the Mini magazines a few months back about someone who had put a Lotus K series in a mini van. I think I would be looking at putting a metro engine in mine, so I wouldn't have thought there would be a great deal of difference in hieght. I think the main problem is the location of the radiator, for which I have special plans!

#11 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

Right, ok :cool:
Boot-mounted rad?

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

Close, I'm not letting on, and I dont even know whether it would work or look good, but it will be quite special if I do it.

Does anyone know if there are specially built subframes for this conversion availble, like from Watson's Allspeed or RallySport Replicas?!

#13 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:28 AM

Ok :P
Gonna wait for the photos :wink:

#14 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

Right, ok :cool:
Boot-mounted rad?

wouldnt do that, theres no air just intercool it with no rad

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

I'm guessing that the Metro engines you can drop straight onto a mini subframe are the A series Metros?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users