#1 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi there

I'm planning to spray my mini in my garage at home, I have done a fair bit of spraying before but I want to get to the bottom of what is safe and what is not. I have sprayed a mini in 2 pack before unaware of the dangers so this time I want to do it right.

The options I have, correct me if i'm wrong are : cellulose, 2 pack and water based

Cellulose - Is an option but would prefer the finish and longevity of 2 pack

2 Pack - Is my preferred option but what do i need to be safe? I have a 50 litre compressor for the spraying and another ancient compressor with no tank that could supply an air fed full face mask. My questions are what type of compressor would i need to feed a full face mask. I have seen the masks on ebay for around £100. Would I be ok with this setup, obviously compressors outside when i spray, and gloves and suit?

Water based - what is this like? pros/cons???

My spraying is very good and i can get a good finish from cellulose but better with 2 pack, however i'm worried about being safe using the 2 pack, is water based the answer?????

Cheers

James

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

have you seen the water based painting topic ?

and there is another alternative to spraying roller painting, have a look what i have done with dolly the camper

#3 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi there

I'm planning to spray my mini in my garage at home, I have done a fair bit of spraying before but I want to get to the bottom of what is safe and what is not. I have sprayed a mini in 2 pack before unaware of the dangers so this time I want to do it right.

The options I have, correct me if i'm wrong are : cellulose, 2 pack and water based

Cellulose - Is an option but would prefer the finish and longevity of 2 pack

2 Pack - Is my preferred option but what do i need to be safe? I have a 50 litre compressor for the spraying and another ancient compressor with no tank that could supply an air fed full face mask. My questions are what type of compressor would i need to feed a full face mask. I have seen the masks on ebay for around £100. Would I be ok with this setup, obviously compressors outside when i spray, and gloves and suit?

Water based - what is this like? pros/cons???

My spraying is very good and i can get a good finish from cellulose but better with 2 pack, however i'm worried about being safe using the 2 pack, is water based the answer?????

Cheers

James

One thing to remember it's illegal to paint a car in a residential area, if you have got any neighbours that don't like you watch out as the fines are hefty.

2K paint is you best option, you really need an oven to paint waterbased paint, it's only the basecoat that is waterbased the laquer is still 2k.

#4 jamob

jamob

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Ahh..yeh..sorry i didn't see that, It looks like water based isn't a possibility really then!!

Just need to know what I need to be safe spraying the 2 pack this time round then as everyone seems to say something different!!!

Cheers

Sorry didn't see your post there Pete...yeh the neighbours shouldn't be a problem, I'm doing it in my parent garage and there isn't many houses around where they live!!

Edited by jamob, 07 March 2008 - 10:08 AM.

#5 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:42 PM

2k is best for a finish from the gun but isnt really very safe or practical without the kit to use it.

Cellulose is DIY painter friendly and you can get really good results with it. Just needs more love and attention to keep it looking that way, than 2k.

Waterbased is proving hard for alot of people, but there has been somebody using it at home on this forum a few days ago, and got along fine with it. But unless your painting metallic, then theres no need to use basecoat really.

I wouldn't wear a full face mask to be honest. Problem with these is that you cant really see what your doing once the overspray starts.. so you tend to lift it up, to have a look, but then breathe in the paint vapour anyway.

If Im using air fed I use a half mask for best visability.

Paint isn't harmful to skin or eyes anyway, don't believe anyone who tells you it is!

#6 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

so can you please verify that 2k paint is not absorbed throught the skin, remember this is advice you are giving on a public forum.
a very important safety issue.
please look at this first.
www.hse.gov.uk/asthma/vehicle.htm

Edited by midridge2, 07 March 2008 - 07:14 PM.

#7 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

so can you please verify that 2k paint is not absorbed throught the skin, remember this is advice you are giving on a public forum.

yes it is absorbed through the skin. one of 2 things i learnt when i first started college. 1st was always wear an airfed mask! its up to the individual to decide what they do tho. we all know the dangers. its whether we ignore them or not.

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

It is dangerous to the eyes, it gets into your water ducts. It is also absorbed into the skin along with everything else in the atmosphere! Everyone who uses 2K should wear a full face air fed, but the truth of the matter is that the majority of painters don't, due to it being a pain and visibility being decreased! People who are not painters tend not to understand. I use a half face air fed, it's a compromise between cartridge mask and full face, seems to do the job, I stopped using a cartridge type after getting aches and pains in my shoulders whenever I got the slightest sniff of 2K. Now I use an air fed I have no problems whatsoever.

This question seems to be popping up all the time, it is strongly advised that you wear a full face air fed mask but if you choose not to, it's your personal choice. Just be aware of the risks you're taking, the health affects can be severe.

#9 miniflake

miniflake

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:40 PM

hi there,

are you planning to spray in a solid coulor, or metallic?

if metallic ask you paint supplier for a polyester (acrylic) basecoat (thinned 1:1 with basecoat thinners) This can be sprayed at home using a respirator. Obviously the basecoat gives you a matt finish that will require a claer lacquer to finish. For spraying at home you could use a 1k lacquer (lechler or upol s2085 etc) or a iso free 2k lacquer - yes they are available! (autopaints auto safe, or churchill paints iso free 2k)

Hope this helps!

#10 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

A year or two ago, all the bodyshops in this county were called to a health and safety presentation that we were basically told everything we should and shouldn't do, dangers etc etc.

There was a University doctor there, to answer any questions people had.

One of the questions that was thrown up was ' Is 2k dangerous to skin or eyes?'

His answer was 'No, not at all.'

Show me a painter who has been at it for years without a painting suit or daft goggles on, who has side effects?

I know folks who have painted everyday using every sort of paint, for nearly 40 years with no complaints.

I am not giving advice, only my opinion, although I don't think I'll bother anymore.

Having read this I assume your refering to the point about dermititis.

You will develop dermititis if you are in direct contact to dirty paint/thinners, such as gun washing in dirty thinners, without protective gloves.

Edited by jack_marshall, 07 March 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#11 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

I have been trying to find the law about painting vehicles at home and cant find a thing i came up with the laws on the sale of paint but none on painting or being fined. If anyone has any info i would like to see it Thanks

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

What makes 2K dangerous is isocyanate. Once it's in your body, it stays there forever. It gets in particularly through the lungs, and water ducts, which are in the corners of your eyes. That is why a full face mask is recommended.

#13 midridge2

midridge2

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

about 30 years ago when 2k first came out all the paint reps were demonstrating painting 2k to get the bodyshops to buy it, for a good few years after,, no advice was ever given about using airfed masks or paint suits or gloves etc.
then they said you have to have all the safety stuff because its dangerous,( sounds like smoking advice they gave years later) anyhow one of the painters who i was friends with had worked in the same paintshop for 25 years and had asthma but coped with it, 6 months after using 2k his asthma got worse and had to pack painting in.
around this time i know a few painters who also packed in painting because they were ill using 2k with out airfed masks etc.

the hsa and cossh all say you have to use correct safety equipment and clothes etc, maybe they got there advice from a different university doctor.

#14 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:25 PM

about 30 years ago when 2k first came out all the paint reps were demonstrating painting 2k to get the bodyshops to buy it, for a good few years after,, no advice was ever given about using airfed masks or paint suits or gloves etc.
then they said you have to have all the safety stuff because its dangerous,( sounds like smoking advice they gave years later) anyhow one of the painters who i was friends with had worked in the same paintshop for 25 years and had asthma but coped with it, 6 months after using 2k his asthma got worse and had to pack painting in.
around this time i know a few painters who also packed in painting because they were ill using 2k with out airfed masks etc.

the hsa and cossh all say you have to use correct safety equipment and clothes etc, maybe they got there advice from a different university doctor.

You've kind of proved my point though?

Your friends asthma got worse because of not using proper breathing kit.

Not through nasty stuff getting through his eyes or skin.

#15 midridge2

midridge2

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

one doctor says its ok not to to cover up, another says you must, for the sake of safety is it not easier to cover up just incase.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users