20 replies to this topic

#1 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

I AM GOING TO PAINT THE UNDERNEATH OF MY FLIP FRONT BEFORE I FIT IT. WHAT PAINT WOULD BE BEST TO USE? I WAS THINKING OF HAMMERITE OR UNDERSEAL, WOULD ANY OF THESE BE OK?

#2 Kernal H

Kernal H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

Fibreglass won't rust. Therefore you don't need to paint it with anything. Unless you're thinking of chip protection, although I've never heard of chips damaging them.

#3 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Fibreglass won't rust. Therefore you don't need to paint it with anything. Unless you're thinking of chip protection, although I've never heard of chips damaging them.

i was just going to do it to make it look better,good idea or not?

#4 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

i was just going to do it to make it look better,good idea or not?

no probably not worth it

#5 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:36 PM

might just leave it as it is then

#6 Kernal H

Kernal H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

Spose there's no harm in painting it, but people will rarely see the under side of it.

#7 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Spose there's no harm in painting it, but people will rarely see the under side of it.

Unless you have a sexy engine with lots of chrome :P then they probably will :thumbsup:

#8 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

it was just when it was lifted up just thought it would look good mind you its not a show car i going down the rally car look

#9 Dave 1293

Dave 1293

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I wouldn't worry... it'll get covered in dirt anyway...

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Painting it could make it more difficult to repair in the event of a bump. If you do use something that will sand off easily - emulsion?

#11 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

Painting it could make it more difficult to repair in the event of a bump. If you do use something that will sand off easily - emulsion?

good point

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

I don't see why it would make it more difficult to repair, just DA it off same as you would have to before doing any repairs anyway. I think if you want to paint it so it looks nice, then it's a good idea. After all, bare fibreglass looks a bit nasty, especially when it's covered in mud, looks a bit unfinished and makes it even more obvious it's not original. If you painted it with a good few coats of stonechip before applying a colour, it would also help stop crazing which is caused by stones hitting it from underneath and cracking the gelcoat.

#13 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Also a good layer of something on it will stop any small pin holes and stray strands etc picking up moisture and causing water ingress.

yeah it's a bit picky,... but it also looks a lot better painted, even if you don't see it most of the time.

#14 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

I don't see why it would make it more difficult to repair, just DA it off same as you would have to before doing any repairs anyway. I think if you want to paint it so it looks nice, then it's a good idea. After all, bare fibreglass looks a bit nasty, especially when it's covered in mud, looks a bit unfinished and makes it even more obvious it's not original. If you painted it with a good few coats of stonechip before applying a colour, it would also help stop crazing which is caused by stones hitting it from underneath and cracking the gelcoat.

great plan i have a large can of underseal so with what you have said i think i will, it will tidy it up nicely

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,432 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Some nice previous owner put underseal on my plaggy car :P - doesn't sand very well & sharp scrapers and blow lamps don't do much for the gel coat :thumbsup: .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users