18 replies to this topic

#1 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

It all began will a standard f****d mini city E 998cc - yes it was that bad. My mate bought it for £200.

We then promptly spent all his wage packet at min-its and put adjusta riders on it and GMAX shocks. Then he pimped it up with some bling 12" Minilights.

Then we threw caution to the wind (and a shed load of rust) and the and chopped the front end off! A round-nose front was fitted along with some new A-panels as the was no "A" left.

soon afetr a mate of ours (James) rolled his mini and we snatched the engine for £300 we fitted it n got it running. It was and MG Metro 1275cc and with a stage 1, it made 76bhp@engine and 56bhp@wheels.

Now the good bit, I bought it for £900! Was chuffed! It was treated to optimax and blew a 1.3SR Nova on one of the first outings, from then there was no lookin back, as i nearly bought a Nova SR instead!

Then stuck a cage in it, not b4 i chopped the rear pockets out and the seat overhang. Bought the cage of my mate and fitted it the same day, was well chuffed Heres some of the first pics of when I bought it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

As can be seen from the photos the body work was a little worse for wear and i was currently happy with the SR killing engine, so a tidy up mission began.

Not sure if you can see from the photo but the bottom 3 inches of the doors are gaffa tape as there was no door underneath! I bought 2 doors of my mate for 40 spondooglies, rubbed them down, protected and primered them and then hung them on the car. Also Got SMMC (southam mini and metro centre) to put on 2 new sills, 1 inner sill and a footwell in and various patch various holes in the arches!

As had I caught the "strip it out bug" I promptly ordered some polycarbonate windows,, as they are light and reduce the cetre of gravity of the car.

I then rubbed the rear quarters down and touched up some other bits and bobs on the body and it started looking like it was all coming together.

Then i found an oil cooler at college (sweet) and bought the hoses from dave at min-its, cut the fromt grill out n mounted it on the front frame, made it look ace i think....

Posted Image

.....and then the head gasket gave up! Oh well I had saved some sponds luckily. Engine time. I bought some SC/CR gears and drops, 4 pin diff and a 1293cc bottome end, 7cc dished powermax pistons, worked head, and got Rod at smmc to build it up. Installed it and on a 1" 3/4 carb with a big needle it made 98bh0@the wheels @6200rpm

Then i got some Magnum buckets and aircraft harnesses and combined with the 1293 i felt like it was really shifting.

Next I bought some cooper S discs and callipers and did the 10" rims conversion. I bought some 2nd hand GB rims, sprayed then white and wrapped them in anti-grip teflon Falken Tyres. Stuck some lowered spax shock on it n decked it. Looked plush.

As the thing weighed about 560Kgs and was goin well i went to the mini showdown 2004 and ran a 16.249 @ 81mph, this proved good enough for third! later found that 2nd place ran a 16.1, i should have done more than 2 runs as i think there was a bit left in her with a better launch!

Heres what the trophy winning machine looked like....

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok now the bad bit (it turned out ok i think - but i`ll let you be the judge of that)

The falken tyres heard me slagging them off one too many times and I stacked it down lane. It was in the wet and I was pushing the car hard, coulnt believe how shocking the tyres were in the wet, untill i locked up, understeered, floored it, feathered it, locked up again and then went into a hedge - all this in a complete straight line. Horah for falkens. I didnt take and pictures because i was too upset. Dont think the spax hepled much as they were on max stiffness.

Throughout this i was spending more and more time at SMMC and they had a white clubman which i thought was cool. The boys were prepared to sell (arm twisting X 100). Problem solved. It was lightened as mine used to be and seemed to be a good option. I proceeded to strip my mini of its bits, not fun. Nothin like the feelin of lookin at your blood seat n tears gone to waste.

Onward and upward. I painted the black subframe and put a new front one in as the old one was a little bit bent.I bought some rear neggy camber brackets and put them on, put all the perspex in, weled some rails in for the seats -thought i`d better do it properly. I chopped the inner of the doors out, and the front inner wings and the front and then fitted the clubby flip-front and mounting kit, same kit i used before. The front was lime green at the time! I got the trusty halfords spray paint out and got it the same colour as the car looked orite (ish) ok ok it looked rubbish so through help of my trusty pal rich we-resprayed the whoe it in leyland white for £80, was going to spray it the same colour as my old mini, diamond white, but i thought it would be bad luck!!!

It looked sweet and along with this i fitted a front mounted rad to utilise the space under the clubby front, Havent got a pic of this yes put i will post and engine bay shot soon.

It looked like this......

Posted Image

Ok so now it looked sweet I wanted power (never satisfied) So i bought a head through SMMC from MED, 37/31 valves fully ported and polished. We went to put this on and realised the head gasket was about fuct. This was worying as it had already gone between 2/3 before. On inspection it looked like the suface texture was not so good between 2 and 3. Engine out. Block skim. While it was out I went mad again n thought i`d buy a worked crank (the bo**ox) some balanced rods, omega pistons (also the dogs bits), billet ultralite flywheel+backplate, AP rally clutch and then stuck a copper race gasket inbetween the newly surfaced block and badass head.

Then i bought a 48DCOE webber on a brian slark inlet manifold (bling!) off a racer and promptly filled the large hole i chopped out of the bulkhead. The engine was stuck on the SC/CR box and put back in the car. I bought some A032 cut slick Yokos, which are completely awesome. I backed off the shocks, didnt want any more safari time in the jungle and it handled amazingly combined with the tyres. I ran the car in up to 3000rpm and then 4000 for 500miles also. It was popped on the rollers and made 116.2bhp at just over 6000.

A further 1000miles was put on and it went back to the rollers. (overkill - but wanted to make sure)

My mate sold his mini at this time and we swapped his red aldon dizzy 4 mine b4 we sold it....sweet. This went on and we advanced it up and put some bigger jets in the carb. we tried it at 12 degrees n got 120bhp and then knocked it back to 14 degrees and mad 126.4bhp@7500@wheels.

I was well chuffed - it was, and is, ballistc.

Stuck some 1275GT stripes down the side and a badge on the front and I think its now on a par will the old round-nose...???? I can`t make up my mind!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had it down the strip 2 weeks ago and squeezed a 14.9 out of it. Was struggling for traction which led to spinning the 1 wheel off the line, every time got a bit frustrating as it did the same in the burnouts too even when i blipped the throttle and was violent with the steering wheel!.

So i`ve bought a sailsbury LSD off e-bay and is going in soon. It will definately be ready for the showdown 2005 and im goin for another trophy and potential nuff respect for the mini forum!!! Hope you like the clubby i`m really proud of it even though its taken priority and stopped me from gettin a bird, at least it gives me an excuse haha! See you all at the showdown, hope this provides a bit of inspiration - stick at it - never sell your mini, just make it faster and look better!!! Dudley.

#2 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:02 PM

every cloud has a silver lining!!!

the clubby looks very tidy mate and can i be first to put myself forward to be taken for a spin in it at the showdown :) hopefully have my project car there too but is a 998 - gonna try and get in the early 18's

rob

#3 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:04 PM

your car has officially achieved the status of.....

MINT

:) :) :P :P

#4 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:04 PM

ooo that is sexy! never seen a completely white colour scheme like that but it really works. Sorry to hear about the round nose but you sure ended up with a nice mini. Shows just how much work you've put into it.

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

That mini is brill.

#6 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Ace same steering wheel as miniman5

#7 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

Ive got a different steering wheel now that is dished & 2 inches bigger than the old one. It used to try and rip-itself out of your hands on the straights, let alone on the corners.

#8 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Nice car mate and im loving those 10s! Wots it like having perspex windows on the road? I was thinking of putting some on mine but I was worried about the security and drafts when you have them closed. Loking sweet though mate :cheese:

#9 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:13 AM

i got the same windows in mine.. love them, but security is next to nothing.

#10 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

Yeh security was prettty much non-existant untill i chopped the door inners out, + they can still be locked from the outside and unless you`ve got the knack you can`t rech thruogh and open them from the inside :cheese: Thing is its a second car so if its not covered up on my drive, i`m in it, driving it! Got the LSD going in next week so will post some pictures up with the flipfront off and of the engermerine!

#11 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

Went 2 shakespeare county raceway yesterday (where the minishowdown is held), it was supposed to be a ford show but i thought i`d sneak in n take on some RST`s.

Was an ace day as i beat my PB of....

15.0sec @89mph

with a....

14.6sec @ 92mph!

And even better i did it beating an RS Turbo!

Last year 3rd in the 1300-1480cc class at the showdown ran a 14.5 so i`m on track for a trophy + still havent got my LSD in yet!

Heres some pics from the RWYB day...yesterday!

Thats after i beat a RWD cossie-got a bit of attention, thats me with my back turned complete with hair needing a cut - tactfully hidden under cap.

Posted Image

nice rear end = pulling power :cheese: lol

Posted Image

#12 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

Duds totally top work!! Your certainly an inspiration! :grin: cant wait to see this thing go at the showdown this year!! will you be on the tmf stand whilst your not dragging it?? Its super good looking and super quick what more could you want? Please keep up the goodwork!!

Nick

#13 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

Cheers Nick, yeah i dont think i`m goin to drag it on the saturday, I want to scope out the competition, n take photos/videos of fast minis!

Which means i`ll probs have the car on the stand saturday - its not as tidy as it looks in the photos so i`ll hide it round the back of the stand n let the shiny minis be on show!

Cu there mate, i`m goin to go to 1 more RWYB with my LSD in so i can practice my launches n then i should b in contention if all goes to plan.

#14 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Hey you dont have to hide it, i want to see it infront, and you need todo a write up to tell all the admirers how hard you worked on it! Im sure it will get some more mini owners butts moving!! HEHE.. cant wait to see you there, and i see your from my area of the world!

Nick

#15 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

excellent work! :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users