bja100

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help.

My girlfriend was driving her mini cooper s on saturday, some idiot had wood sheets strapped to his car in front of hers, one flew off and speared into my gfriends car just above the windscreen (very lucky escape).

There is a hole in the roof, along with smashed windscreen, lots of dents and damage. She definately needs a new roof and windscreen. Does anyone know if this sort of damage is write off? Or can these roofs be easily replaced wothout affecting the rest of the vehicle?

Really appreciated!

Ben

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

A body shop will charge a fortune to change the roof of a Mini, it's unlikely any insurer will swallow the cost. The roof is roller welded around using a tool that is just impractical to own outside a car factory, so any roof replacement done on a Mini is to non-original spec which coupled with the cost puts insurers off. You might be lucky though if you find a good real body shop (not somewhere that only knows how to swap bolt on panels on modern cars) that has done this to a Mini before and isn't going to be scared to try.

Oh, hang on. Just noticed this is a BMW MINI. Ignore all that. I have no idea how the roof is fitted to a modern MINI, sorry!

Some of our members are real body experts and some of them used to work at Cowley building BMW MINIs so I'm sure someone else will be able to offer more help soon.

#3 bja100

bja100

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

A body shop will charge a fortune to change the roof of a Mini, it's unlikely any insurer will swallow the cost. The roof is roller welded around using a tool that is just impractical to own outside a car factory, so any roof replacement done on a Mini is to non-original spec which coupled with the cost puts insurers off. You might be lucky though if you find a good real body shop (not somewhere that only knows how to swap bolt on panels on modern cars) that has done this to a Mini before and isn't going to be scared to try.

Oh, hang on. Just noticed this is a BMW MINI. Ignore all that. I have no idea how the roof is fitted to a modern MINI, sorry!

Some of our members are real body experts and some of them used to work at Cowley building BMW MINIs so I'm sure someone else will be able to offer more help soon.

Thanks, if anyone is out there that knows its much appreciated! Thanks

#4 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:39 AM

I'm guessing the insurance will rite it off, but it might be worth writing it off and using the money to find someone yourself to do the work- if its only cosmetic theres no reason it cant be done.
(off the record) we did this with a car in the past and even had a few bob left over for a cup of tea and a hobnob

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

What's a 2003 Cooper S worth? I'd guess it will only get back on the road if it's worth enough for a reshell.

#6 bja100

bja100

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

What's a 2003 Cooper S worth? I'd guess it will only get back on the road if it's worth enough for a reshell.

I'm confused, surely if its a write off she doesnt keep the car?

Also, if its repaired will it become a cat d/c?

I've attached some photos of the damage.

Attached Files

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

its only a bini

just take the insurance money and buy another one

#8 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

Id see what your insurance say, it may be repairable. You'd probably be best asking on a new Mini forum, as most the people on this forum own classic minis.

Heres a link to one: Mini2 ;D

#9 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:26 PM

if its a writoff you can buy the car off the insurance company.

if its a writoff you can buy the car off the insurance company.
i dont think it will be a high cat because its nothing like subframe thats totalled

Edited by luke6040, 17 March 2008 - 01:29 PM.

#10 VulcanBomber

VulcanBomber

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

I am quite sure that will be a reshell. It will also be recorded Cat C or D.

If I were you I would ask the insurance company for a new car,

#11 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:31 PM

I am quite sure that will be a reshell. It will also be recorded Cat C or D.

If I were you I would ask the insurance company for a new car,

i have to agree to be honest it looks really wrinkled so its prob distorted alot of the car. might get away with a new roof off a scrap mini, dunno how legal or safe that would be tho, and by then i spose you may aslwell of binned it and got a new 1.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

Insurance companies won't fix cars with secondhand panels, it looks like the screen frame is damaged which is structural, part of the 'safety cell', and I'd guess also a bugger to replace. It could be repaired with a new shell if the car's value is higher than the cost; in which case it wouldn't be written off or carry any category label.

It peeves me that you could do exactly the same to your Mini, because you want to keep a classic car on the road where it belongs and you can wield a spanner yourself, but an insurance company can stigmatise your pride 'n joy with a Cat C label, or even consign your car to the crusher and you can do nothing about it.

#13 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

get rid and get another car

#14 luke6040

luke6040

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

get rid and get another car

get an old mini lol. the wood might have gone over the roof missing it totally lol ;D

#15 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

if you dont go through the insurance and find a good bodyshop then they can repair it. my guvnor has repaired his new jag which had rolled and it was far worse roof wise than that. insurance will prob put that in a cat c as an uneconomical repair and then it will need a vic check once repaired to allow it back on the road.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users