27 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

I know theres a lot of debate on whether 165/70/10s (Yoko A032s) are safe etc on a 7" rim but ive seen enough cars and reponses from people who are running them ok.

Just that in some pics the tyre looks as though its ballooning out to reach, the sidewall angles out towards the rim, rather than bulging out and coming back in at the rim the way it does on a 6" wheel. So in real life do 165s look a bit feeble or just not right?

Posted Image

Really want some MB split rims to finish off the miglia looks ive gone for and now ive got the idea in my head the 6" GBs just dont do it anymore, but im struggling a bit with the cost as well as wanting to get it right. The lead time is another issue.

Originally thought id go for 6.5s but if im gonna do it i might as well go all the way. The 6.5s are £80 cheaper which is a bonus but dont want to regret not getting the 7s.

Edited by Haynes, 20 March 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Personally I'd get the 6.5"s.

#3 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

10 x 7 wheel with a 165/70/10 yokohama tyre. doesnt even bulge that much.

Attached Files

#4 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

I know theres a lot of debate on whether 165/70/10s (Yoko A032s) are safe etc on a 7" rim but ive seen enough cars and reponses from people who are running them ok.

Just that in some pics the tyre looks as though its ballooning out to reach, the sidewall angles out towards the rim, rather than bulging out and coming back in at the rim the way it does on a 6" wheel. So in real life do 165s look a bit feeble or just not right?

Posted Image

Really want some MB split rims to finish off the miglia looks ive gone for and now ive got the idea in my head the 6" GBs just dont do it anymore, but im struggling a bit with the cost as well as wanting to get it right. The lead time is another issue.

Originally thought id go for 6.5s but if im gonna do it i might as well go all the way. The 6.5s are £80 cheaper which is a bonus but dont want to regret not getting the 7s.

i know what your saying.i think they dont look safe (just what i think ).i sold my 7"wheels because of this.
i would go for the 6.5's because the tyres look so much better on the rims.

#5 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

anyone know the rim sizes of the 6.5s? Are they 3.25 and 3.25 or 3.5 inner, 3 outer?

#6 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Don't think it is really a safety worry. It became quite popular a few years back to run stretch tyres for the look

Posted Image

Posted Image

never a fan of the look myself (its more of a Fast car, boy racer look). But I think some cars used to run stretched tyres for professional racing so it can't be unsafe.

Edited by Gibbo, 21 March 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#7 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

10 x 7 wheel with a 165/70/10 yokohama tyre. doesnt even bulge that much.

:D them wheels are lovely, i want them

#8 Fevmeister

Fevmeister

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Local Club: Central Mini

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Personally they look rediculous, but it's every man to their own!1

#9 AdamMk1

AdamMk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

i think thy look pretty good on that mini, like a go kart tyre. its kinda the done thing in the euro scene, i like the euro look lots :thumbsup: .they tend to have bigger wheels(around 13" 15") tho so the tire side wall isnt too high, the pics on www.cleaned.be will probably explain better than me.

Edited by AdamMk1, 24 March 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#10 Mini bullet

Mini bullet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

Those special splits are what im getting made atm, getting them powder coated black an all!!!!!

gonna have A032's streched over them. i think they look stunning!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Mini bullet, 24 March 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#11 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

whos is this mini?

#12 Spaceibiza

Spaceibiza

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I like the look of the slightly stretched tyres, plus it's your only option with 7x10's. I've just bought a set for mine so i will be running 165 yoko's on them. If you want the miglia look then just go all the way and have 7's!

#13 Hegnirst

Hegnirst

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,475 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Minuki

Minuki

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

The stretch is so small, it's really nothing to worry about. It's just the sidewall won't flex as it should.

Keep a good eye on your tyre pressures (you should anyway) and you will be fine.

Edit: This thread is from 2008!

Edited by Minuki, 14 February 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#15 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Jeez, what an old thread!!

(fevmeister!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic