z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

just got back from oulton from the first round of the championship
had a really good time if a little fraught at times over the day
we actually went testing on the friday and had oil surge problems in the first session due to me being an idiot and not checking the oil level properly
came in and topped it up but by the time we did that the session was over
second session managed a full 25 miniute stint all seemed fine, just about got the brake balance worked out so it was a spanner check then we ran last years car for jem snowden to try
he is an old grass tracking buddy and hadnt been to oulton park before so it was going to be a steep learning curve for him
the car also needed to be shaken down after the off at cadwell the other week
chris thomas has done a good job getting her back together and she ran fine all weekend once we had re set the trickshifter up
we were joined by rob spencer who is also an oulton park first timer so he got four sessions in all of this was in cold dry conditions
saturdays qualifying was in dry conditions and we had mark proctor there for the first outing in the car
as you know he has come to us from british touring cars and has a long history from rally cross to euro V6 ,pickups etc etc
theres no denying the guy can drive and he qualified .2 of a second in front of me which i was pleased with next up was rob spencer then jem snowden

as we drove onto the grid to the start the heavens opened and all 32 cars were on full slicks
this was going to be interesting to say the least !!!
we had a parade lap then two green flag laps to familiarise ourselves with the conditions
as i usually do i caned the brakes and tyres on those laps and did half a dozen burnouts up to the line (maybe i shouldnt have done that )
we lined up and from 13th and 14th on the grid i managed to pass 5 cars off the line whilst still in 1st gear as i changed up i broke a drive shaft and the car was then basically only driving one wheel and snapped sideways i kept going as best i could but a few yards further on mark proctor passed me and was 3rd through the first corner
he drove very well all race till a minor collision with a big v 8 morgan ripped his front wheel off
rob and jem both finished very well in what was a very tricky race
our friend the stig then set to with bits from mark rallys car and managed to mend mark proctors car just in time to do the second race
i failed to mend mine so it was down to 3 z cars minis to uphold the honours
from 12th on the grid mark proctor drove a blinder in torrential rain this time on wet tyres working his way through the field to a well deserved 3rd place, he actually got into 2nd at one point but a racing nudge had him back down to 3rd in the end
rob was next up with jem coming in just after
interestingly there were two new watsons v tec front wheel drive cars there today but none of the vauxhall powered ones from last year
it was a nice excersise for us to compare the times of mark in a steel bodied car and the new fibreglass one the times are pretty much identical in the practice so it looks like the tyres, weight, engine controls on the class are going to work fairly well
robs car including driver is about 75 kilos over the limit so theres room for him to be wads quicker when he trims the weight down
i watched him in both races and thought he went very well
one to watch in the future
jem snowden also drove well in the circumstances in a strange car and in torrential rain on a circuit you dont know and cant see for spray
all the z cars were quicker than the other minis so well done boys
im off to mend my shaft ready for rockingham
chris

#2 crossed thread

crossed thread

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Here's the BARC race report: clicky

#3 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Here's the BARC race report: clicky

copied here

Reports from the 2008 Championship Rounds : (latest first)

Performance N Economy Chip Tuning Sports/Saloon Car Championship 2008

Rounds 1&2, Oulton Park, March 29th, 2008

The weather did its best put a dampener on the opening double header. But despite pouring rain two hard fought battles saw the victory spoils shared between defending champion Paul Dobson’s Mazda RX7 and the Caterham Vauxhall of 2006 champion Robert Pritchard.

It was dry for qualifying and Pritchard captured pole by 0.432secs over the Caterham R400 of Alastair Chalmers. “I had a little of at Knickerbrook, it was slippery on slicks and I was about five yards late on the brakes and glanced the tyre wall,� said Chalmers.

New championship sponsor Ric Wood headed the second row in his Opel Astra DTM. “It was fine, a bit boring actually. If it rains though I won’t go out, as I start the Dutch Supercar Challenge in Germany in two weeks,� he explained.

Starting directly behind father Alastair was Rob Chalmers, with slicks now on his Caterham R400. “We were losing a bit of coolant but the temperature seems OK,� he said. Dobson was also in trouble after his Mazda RX7’s subframe split. “It needs a quick dash back to the workshop to weld it up,� he said as he loaded the car for a lunchtime dash. “Good job we are only at Oulton too,� he added.

“I had new tyres on and it felt OK straight away,� said Caterham racer Kevin Cryer after qualifying sixth. Darren Smith is planning to branch out from Oulton Park for his second season, if this rain comes we will take it easy though, but at the moment it’s spot on,� said the TVR Tuscan driver.

A fully fit Dennis Crompton completed the fourth row in his BMW M3, “driver and car both fine,� he reported. In ninth was Mike Sedgwick’s Morgan Plus 8, previously a regular in the Northern Saloon & Sports. Chris Maries rounded off the top ten, his first time out in his new MK Indy Busa.

Another welcome returnee was John Garnett, his ex DTM was plagued with engine problems all last season and never made it out. It’s still only two thirds throttle, hoping we had cured it with a new management system,� he explained. Graham Taylor was also baffled why his Westfield had been troublefree in testing and was now overheating again. “I really thought I had cured it,� he said.

Lining up 13th was a championship debutant Mark Proctor. The former Touring Car privateer and Eurocar star has decided to return to grass roots and have some fun.� I want to rediscover myself, and when I saw the Z Cars video at the Autosport Show I decided to buy one. Doesn’t mean to say I will never return to Touring Cars though,� he explained.

Z Cars boss Chris Allanson was alongside Proctor in his new car, “it hadn’t run before the pre race test. I was playing with the brake bias, then heard a graunching sound so didn’t do the full session,� he said.

Paul Isherwood’s Sylva Phoenix headed the next row with Kevin Begley’s Caterham Roadsport alongside. Alan Collinson’s trusty Rover SD1 Vitesse was just behind. “It’s going probably the best yet, everything is working,� he reckoned. He was haring the row with another debutant, Robert Spencer in the third Z Cars Mini.

Cam Forbes’ Westfield shared the next row with James Aukland’s trusty Capri. “I was a bit rusty and only got the car back Friday,� said Aukland. Jeremy Snowden’s Z Cars shared row 11 with Phil Hall’s solo Banks Europa. “I had a new starter motor but it still failed. Otherwise it was good,� said Hall.

Andy Wilson’s Mini had Ralph Underwood’s TR7 V8 alongside, and Anthony Wilson’s Mini shared with Peter Wann’s Westfield. The grid was completed by Brian Allen’s XR2i, Paul Ingram, 16 year old son of ex racer/rally driver Kingsley in an XR2, Dave Maries, brother of Chris and Graham Wynn’s Z Cars Mini.

“I had a moment at Druids and got a bit sideways,� said Ingram. I managed one lap before the fuel pump went,� said Wynn.

GRID

A.Chalmers Pritchard+

R.Chalmers Wood

Cryer Dobson

Crompton Smith

C.Maries Sedgwick

Taylor Garnett

Allanson Proctor

Begley Isherwood

Spencer Collinson

Aukland Forbes

Hall Snowden

Underwood Andy Wilson

Wann Ant Wilson

Ingram Allen

Wynn D.Maries

RACE ONE

With the rain falling heavily Ric Wood opted not to race, and both the Chalmers Caterham’s and Crompton’s BMW headed for the pits for tyre changes as the grid formed up.

When the lights went out Smith was left, and Pritchard headed the charge to Old Hall, from Dobson, Cryer, Sedgwick and Maries. Cryer spun, “I had a touch with Chris Maries into Knickerbrook,� he explained. He wasn’t the only one as Pritchard had a huge spin approaching Lodge. “It went round six, seven or maybe eight times and just kissed the barrier,� he said. The result was a six second lead for Dobson, with Pritchard recovering in eighth.

Maries headed the chases from Sedgwick, Proctor, Isherwood, Begley and Rob Chalmers, but both Garnett and Allanson were already in trouble. “It’s still the management system,� said Garnett. “I broke the driveshaft at the start, first second and crunch,� said Allanson.

Pritchard was soon back on the pace, reeling in Maries to reclaim second on lap three. Alastair Chalmers had also charged from the back of the grid to oust Maries for third on lap four.

It was all getting very fraught in the lower top ten, with Sedgwick gradually being outpaced. Begley fought his way through to fifth behind Rob Chalmers and snatched fourth on the penultimate lap, after both benefited from Maries’ spluttering pitstop.

Pritchard had caught Dobson and got alongside a couple of times, but the Mazda just did enough to claim a narrow victory. “I had managed to get away when Rob spun, I got a bit sideways and at the end I had to block him through Cascades,� said Dobson. “I had to back off for yellow flags on the last lap, I was alongside Paul at the time,� Pritchard replied.

“I lost a lot of time in traffic, but third’s OK,� said Chalmers Snr. “I was just playing catch up after starting from the pitlane, but still had a couple of moments,� said Jnr after just losing out fourth to Begley.

Cryer recovered to claim sixth and similarly Smith came home seventh, aided by a clash between Sedgwick and Proctor at Knickerbrook. “It was 50/50 between fun and terror,� reckoned Smith. “I had too much bias to the back, missed my braking point at Knickerbrook and spun, I almost held it, but as I came back on and hit another car,� said Proctor who was left with a front wheel hanging off. “As I turned into the chicane, he came back across me into the side. It’s buckled my wheel and damaged the wishbone,� Sedgwick replied.

A delighted Collinson was a solid eighth, “I couldn’t believe it, I was actually closing on the TVR too. Hope it stays wet,� he said. Crompton and Taylor completed the top ten. “I stopped for wets, it should have been intermediates,� said Crompton.

Isherwood, Spencer and Anthony Wilson all finished on the lead lap. Underwood had a late charge to secure 14th, “I had been all over the place then it seemed to come good at the end,� he said. Hall was next home, “it was scary out there, glad to be back in the paddock,� he reckoned.

Anthony Wilson, Allen, Snowden, Forbes, Wann, Dave Maries and I gram all made it to the finish too, after a few slips, slides and mishaps along the way.

RESULTS

1 Paul Dobson (Mazda RX7) 8 laps in 20m20.727s (71.45mph); 2 Robert Pritchard (Caterham Vauxhall) 20m25.774s; 3 Alastair Chalmers (Caterham R400); 4 Kevin Begley (Caterham Roadsport); 5 Robert Chalmers (Caterham R400); 6 Kevin Cryer (Caterham 7); 7 Darren Smith (TVR Tuscan); 8 Alan Collinson (Rover SD1 Vitesse); 9 Dennis Crompton (BMW M3 E30); 10 Graham Taylor (Westfield). Class A: 1 Smith; no other finishers. Class B: 1 Pritchard; 2 A.Chalmers; 3 R.Chalmers; 4 Cryer; 5 Taylor; 6 Cam Forbes (Westfield SEiW); 7 Peter Wann (Westfield SEi);8 Dave Maries (Westfield SEi). Class C: 1 Begley; 2 Paul Isherwood (Sylva Phoenix); 3 Robert Spencer (Z Cars Mini); 4 Andy Wilson (Mini); 5 Anthony Wilson (Mini); 6 Jeremy Snowden (Z Cars Mini). Class D: 1 Dobson; 2 Collinson; 3 Ralph Underwood (Triumph TR7 V8); no other starters. Class E: 1 Crompton; 2 Brian Allen (Ford Fiesta XR2i); no other finishers. Class F: 1 Phil Hall (Banks Europa); 2 Paul Ingram (Ford Fiesta XR2); no other starters. Fastest lap: Pritchard 2m09.708s (74.71mph).

RACE TWO

It was even wetter for the second race, as the grid was formed from the second fastest lap in qualifying.

There were still 25 starters, with Alastair Chalmers taking pole from Pritchard, Rob Chalmers and Dobson.

GRID

Pritchard A.Chalmers+

Dobson R.Chalmers

Cryer Wood n/s

Sedgwick n/s Crompton

Taylor Smith

Garnett C.Maries

Allanson n/s Proctor

Begley Isherwood

Collinson Forbes

Snowden Spencer

Hall Aukland

Ant Wilson n/s Underwood

Wann Andy Wilson

Allen Ingram

Wynn n/s D.Maries

RACE

The start was relatively troublefree given the conditions. Pritchard, led Alastair Chalmers, Crompton, Cryer and Rob Chalmers, with Dobson challenging as they went down the Avenue.

Both Dobson and Maries soon made it past Cryer, and Proctor followed as they completed the opening lap, taking Rob Chalmers too, who then headed for the pits to retire with an intermittent misfire.

Crompton was flying and had a couple of second lap exchanges with Chalmers Snr for second. But cresting Deer Leap he lost it, went sideways and crashed into the barriers opposite the pits. “The hydraulics went on the clutch, I was snatching through the box, into fifth and it just lit up the back wheels,� he explained.

Pritchard had started to take command and although Chalmers was back into second he had a queue forming behind. He held on for six more laps though, before Dobson made it by and eased himself into second. Proctor harassed Maries until he got through on lap six, taking Chalmers for third a lap later, before shadowing Dobson to the finish.

“I didn’t want to take any risks, I could have won maybe. I had a little touch with Paul Dobson, but overall it’s been brilliant,� said Proctor. Maries got the better of Chalmers too over the closing laps, “I am on a promise of new wets after that,� said Maries. “I softened it too much and lost grip. I was struggling and then found I had a queue. I then made a mistake at Island when Paul Dobson got past and then others followed,� said Chalmers after finally finishing fifth.

Things were slightly better for Garnett too, he held sixth from midrace. Smith saw off Isherwood shortly afterwards for seventh, both having pulled clear of Cryer. “After I lost touch with Mark Proctor I just seemed to be going backwards,� said Cryer. He still held onto ninth though, well clear of Begley.

Aukland and Hall had a terrific scrap for 11th, which went Aukland’s way eventually. “That was great fun I got a bit of grip this time and it made all the difference,� said Aukland. “That Capri was very wide,� Hall replied.

Spencer, Snowden and Forbes remained unlapped and Underwood got his revenge on long time rival Collinson, by heading him in 16th. Allen, Dave Maries and Wann rounded off the finishers, while Taylor made a late but spectacular exit, almost copying Crompton’s earlier spin but avoiding the barriers.

RESULTS

1 Robert Pritchard (Caterham Vauxhall) 10 laps in 22m23.381s (72.14mph); 2 Paul Dobson (Mazda RX7) 22m24.896s; 3 Mark Proctor (Z Cars Mini); 4 Chris Maries (MK Indy Busa); 5 Alastair Chalmers (Caterham R400); 6 John Garnett (BMW M3 E30); 7 Darren Smith (TVR Tuscan); 8 Paul Isherwood (Sylva Phoenix); 9 Kevin Cryer (Caterham 7); 10 Kevin Begley (Caterham Roadsport). Class A: 1 Smith; 2 James Aukland (Ford Capri); no other starters: Class B: 1 Pritchard; 2 A.Chalmers; 3 Cryer; 4 Cam Forbes (Westfield SEiW); 5 Dave Maries (Westfield SEi); 6 Peter Wann (Westfield SEi). Class C: 1 Proctor; 2 C.Maries; 3 Isherwood; 4 Begley; 5 Robert Spencer (Z Cars Mini); 6 Jeremy Snowden (Z Cars Mini). Class D: 1 Dobson; 2 Ralph Underwood (Triumph TR7 V8); 3 Alan Collinson (Rover SD1 Vitesse); no other starters. Class E: 1 Garnett; 2 Brian Allen (Ford Fiesta XR2i); no other finishers. Class F: 1 Phil Hall (Banks Europa); no other finishers. Fastest lap: Dobson 2m11.260s (73.83mph).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users