31 replies to this topic

#1 bentedder

bentedder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

i have been welding today and my eyes are really hurting does anybody know of pain relief for arc eye?

#2 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

I dont know of any, but assuming you was using a mask, you really should get a darker lens, arc eye in the long term can result in blindess, and even in a short term its not doing you any favours! If you did it without a mask, well then nothing can be said :)

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

In the name of Lord Nelsons trousers,... don't tell me you were welding without a mask....

Fortunately, arc eye is almost always a temporary condition. In the unlikely event of prolonged and frequently repeated exposures, permanent damage can occur. A person would have to be stubborn and/or stupid to allow himself to be repeatedly exposed to such arc eye risks without taking some precautions.

Treatment of arc eye is simple, rest in a dark room. Various soothing anaesthetic eye drops can be administered by a qualified person, or hospital Casualty Departments. These can provide almost instantaneous relief.

Go and see your doctor. Arc eye isn't always a temporary thing but like other stuff, the sooner its treated the better. My mate got this and went to A+E,.. they put a fluid in his eye and the pain went pretty sharpish but his vision took a while to rectify.

typically last up to 36 hours.

#4 bentedder

bentedder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

i did use a mask ive got a full face mask i was welding today at about lunch time and now my eyes are really starting to hurt.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

then you sir,... need a new mask/lens

#6 rasher

rasher

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

Its up to you if you want to try it, Washing up liquid is supposed to help, I've never tried it because it sounds stupid to me but the bloke who told me swears by it. apparently it doesn't sting because you eyes are already hurting from the flash.

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

Mmmm saltylicious washing up liquid :) . it's not meant to go on your car let alone an eye!,...proper medication is there for a reason,... and you wont have to pay for it either.

#8 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:26 PM

are you using one of them cheapy arc activated masks ?

#9 bentedder

bentedder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

looks like it a trip to a+e for me then to cure the pain

#10 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

i have been welding today and my eyes are really hurting does anybody know of pain relief for arc eye?

Go to sleep.. lol

There is no cure for it untill your eye's heel, arc eye basicaly means you have got sunburnt eyeballs.. you burn the top surface of your eye.

If your welding without a mask then all i can say is you are a bit on the silly side, if you have been welding with a mask make sure your using the correct lense, it's not about the darkness as it's the uv filter content of the lense that makes the difference as it's the uv rays that burn not the brightness of the light..

#11 bentedder

bentedder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

i bought my mask in machine mart when i got my welder its a full face thing the bloke told me there really good. but now im hurting so im unsure. this may sound stupid but is there any way to test the lense?

#12 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:30 PM

is it a arc activated one or a normal one ?

#13 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

i bought my mask in machine mart when i got my welder its a full face thing the bloke told me there really good. but now im hurting so im unsure. this may sound stupid but is there any way to test the lense?

lol by the sounds of it, only if you have a mate who likes getting arc eye...

Either bin the mask and get a new one,.. or get a new lens, preferably a darker one.

#14 rasher

rasher

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

The theory behind the washing up liquid is it puts a film over your eye that stops it stinging as bad, you still have some pain but if you've got proper welding flash, any other pain is better than the one you've got now.

#15 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

It could be a mask for gas welding..

Best off going to somewhere like your local BOC suppliers or welding supply shop as they will be able to supply you with the correct mask for what you need it for.

Oh yeah and working on a computer is probably the worst thing you can be doing right now... lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users