36 replies to this topic

#1 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

I have a swift project on the go now guys. I live for a week at work and commute so during the week i will be working weeknights for 6 hours a night to get this thing built.

bought my swift gti on wednesday for £250 and by last night it was out and ready to go in to the mini.

Mini needs some welding but i have it all planned in for monday. Subframe and inner wings and front panel to go monday also and i can get cracking with the frame etc.

winner

Progress -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

hope you likey

#2 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

wheres the turbo? :lol: lol!

looking good so far, will be interesting to see this one come together

#3 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:12 PM

A guy I used to work with built a swit engined mini a few yrs ago.

Was a rapid little thing, I think he also ran it on 14" rims as well.

Good luck

ps

Was the exhaust ok?

#4 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

Yeah exhaust is ace mate. I have a clutch problem before i can fit it though which is ticking me off. I have a 1330 spi that is wicked but the clutch needs doing!!! arghhh!!!

The swift project will be getting some serious attention, mainly because i am in the navy and the car club opens 30 mins after i finish work. that means i have 30 mins to change and drive there and then i have 6 hours each night to tinker. And the club has , air tools, shotblaster, power tools, all hand tools, welders, benches and a 15 car yard for use by the members and also salvage man comes each month to recover any scrap we dont want. Oil disposal too and motoquip gives us discount because we always go there.

ace.

photos to come guys so keep eyes peeled.

Ted

#5 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

how you getting on with this? i really want to do one of this conversions now after going out in my mates cousins suzuki swift gti it was very nippy!!!

#6 mighty mini jack

mighty mini jack

Mighty Before a Pint

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

Im defo doing this conversion with the mini box....

Im inspired again !

Hows the poolball going ted?

#7 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

HI guys

i have not been at work as much as i had thought i would but what i have done has been photographed so i will post up new pics on monday.

This week i only have wednesday night and thursday nights before i go away for three weeks. I will be back in mid july so can get cracking again.

Wednesday plan is to fit windscreen, rear quarters, rear screen and cover the sunroof hole. Then cut the rear of the frame so it clears the engine properly.

then i will get the engine back under and start the frame around it. Thursday i should have a frame that in theory will take the engine and should hold the weight. I will try to get some sort of suspension on her up front and keep the back on the wheeled crate i have it on now.

So big progress planned. i have 5 hours a night to work on her so plan to kick the arse out of it and get as much in as possible.

Then come september 1st, it is show time baby. i am at work in weekly runs where i get 4 5 hour slots a week to work on her.

Should be done in no time at all. 1st October, a running driving car. Watch this space.

Ted

#8 sweetser

sweetser

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

sounds good mate:thumbsup:
good luck

#9 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

Progress pics -

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 E11OOT

E11OOT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Local Club: www.harlowminiclub.com

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

Looking Good! Thinking about the same conversion myself over summer, hopefully you will find away around all the problems before i get to them!

Good Work

Elliot

#11 iamcabaged

iamcabaged

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

Good luck with the build.

Looks like you have a mk2/3 engine and box there. Not sure if i have seen any swift mini with a mk2/3 inlet manifold fit in a round nose without bulkhead modifications. Might be a good idea to get a mk1 inlet manifold or run throttle bodies.

are you building your own frame or buying one from the 16v mini shop?

Pete

#12 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

I am home building the frame. simple design so easy to build. I will do some minor bulkhead mods to accomodate the inlet manifold so no worries there. Just need to make enough room for the brake bits to go in and i am laughing.

Cheers

Ted

#13 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

i ordered some landrover bobbin style engine rubbers to make mounts with and some other defender gearbox mounts for the front. Should be done with the frame quite soon but they keep sending me away so i cant do any work at the moment.

More progress to come though.

Ted

#14 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 24 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

Oooooo, this looks interesting! There was a guy round the corner who was going to put a swift engine in his mini, but he never got round to it..

#15 superted87

superted87

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

well there should be some progress monday night but it is my 21st so i think it will be very limited. I have loads to do just no time to do it in.

Keep your eyes peeled though guys.

Ted

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users