#1 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Local Club: Dont have one:(

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

hello, i know every one says no get mig but i really cant afford it. so whats the best way to be able to use it.

thanks
luke

#2 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

i dont know / think there is a best way to use it, it still burns holes in the metal. Why dont you rent a mig out ? would be abit cheaper :genius:

#3 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

money is really tight thou i cant afford to rent one out, what about one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1742.m153.l1262

#4 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

if you look around you should be able to pick up a mini mig 90-130 amp for about £60 second hand much easier and better end result. arc welding outer panel work is pretty hard. personally i wouldnt bother with the arc save it for thicker things.

#5 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

dont know much about arc welders,but think they just blow big holes in everything in sight,with that arc welding thing you still need to buy an arc welder,as in a mini says get a second hand mig much better :lol:

#6 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

i got a arc welder already...

#7 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

Check out this site & its forum- http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/, very useful for novice welders & they'll answer your questions. I even think they had a thread about the ebay item you're looking at.
The problem with arc welders is that you can't use them with low enough amps & thin enough rods to weld a panel as thin as a mini's well. Unfortunatly they're simply not designed for it.
I bought a used clarke turbo 90 mig on ebay recently for £70, it's perfect for mini panels & anything up to 2-3mm. I also use an arc for thicker stuff. You could easily buy a second hand mig & resell it for the same money when you're done?
Good luck.

#8 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

You will find that using a arc welder you wont get a nice weld like you would with a mig, also there would probably be more distorsion and more filling would probably be needed to get a nice finish.

Paul.

#9 dave21478

dave21478

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

Bodyshops were using gas welding and arc welders long before MIG became popular and affordable. It is perfectly feasable to use an arc welder for mini panelwork. Granted, its not as easy as MIG by a long way, but with a bit of practice, the right electrodes and power setting its certainly possible. It will take you longer, possibly require more dressing once finished and if you arent carefull, it will be a mess, but if you already have the welder, why not... electrodes are cheap, so as long as you practice enough on steelwork the same thickness and joining parts in the same manner as you will be on the car, then go for it.

#10 Mad Modder

Mad Modder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

HI just a quick one sorry to put a dampner on things but Arc welding is not strong enough for automotive welding and will lead to a possible mot failer, Mig Welding is the Standard and has long been. I will dig out an artical but Arc just is not safe ( i know the original mini's where to a degree arc welded but its no been ruled out only mig welding is acceptable). you can pick up a cheap and happy Mig for around £200 and that will be perfect you are only going to be dealing with 2 - 4 mm mild steel so go cheap and cheerfull.

www.machinemart.co.uk have a good range on clarke mig welders ( gas and gasless)

#11 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

HI just a quick one sorry to put a dampner on things but Arc welding is not strong enough for automotive welding and will lead to a possible mot failer, Mig Welding is the Standard and has long been. I will dig out an artical but Arc just is not safe ( i know the original mini's where to a degree arc welded but its no been ruled out only mig welding is acceptable). you can pick up a cheap and happy Mig for around £200 and that will be perfect you are only going to be dealing with 2 - 4 mm mild steel so go cheap and cheerfull.

www.machinemart.co.uk have a good range on clarke mig welders ( gas and gasless)

I hate to disagree but in the right pair of hand an arc welder is just as capable, if not more so than a MIG.

Using an arc welder won't lead to an MOT failure, and anyway once the weld has been ground down and treated, how would the MOT tester tell?

A competant(very) welder can weld thin stuff easily with an arc.

Are you sure you aren't getting confused with brazing?

FYI mini bodyshells are about 1mm thick(ish) not 2-4mm!!

EDIT

Just to point out that to the very best of my knowledge you can still braze outer panels on cars, its just not allowed on strutural areas.

Edited by shiftyseamus, 19 July 2008 - 03:32 PM.

#12 Mad Modder

Mad Modder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

i will find the info but i'm dame sure arc is not acceptable for automotive repair

#13 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:26 PM

If you're right i will happily apologise!!

#14 Mattl

Mattl

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

i will find the info but i'm dame sure arc is not acceptable for automotive repair

A weld is a weld. Its just the fusing of two pieces of metal into one effectively. As long as the technique and approach is correct any weld is suitable whether its gas, manual arc, mig or tig! Each have their pros and cons but the end result is much the same.

All welding techniques are fundementally the same...they heat the metal to melting point and then add materal of the same type to create the "weld"

#15 Mattl

Mattl

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

A weld is a weld. Its just the fusing of two pieces of metal into one effectively. As long as the technique and approach is correct any weld is suitable whether its gas, manual arc, mig or tig! Each have their pros and cons but the end result is much the same.

All welding techniques are fundementally the same...they heat the metal to melting point and then add materal of the same type to create the "weld"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users