#1 b3ardyuk

b3ardyuk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

http://www.minifilms.co.uk

Just oredered the DVD's from the above company, but I can not fine anything on the net about them.

I have been restoring Honda Monkey Bikes for the last 3 years and want a change. So I am looking at mini's. I have always liked mini's, but never had one. So I have bought loads of mini magazines, and I then saw the bit on Z-cars.

I like the fact that its a mini running on a bike engine. So I get the best of both worlds. But at the end of the day, its all about cost.
Now I want to have a mini to do up, and then sell it. As I get my fun from making my ideas come to life, but I do not know which is the best option.

Anyone help?

John

#2 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

Depends what your buget is :erm:

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

But at the end of the day, its all about cost.

I believe your realistically looking at 5-7k for a Z-cars self-build, however if you have bike knowledge/contacts then you may be knock the cost down a bit!

The group of members who are currently working on Z-car projects will be able to tell you anything you need to know!

#4 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:30 PM

5-7k would just be for the kit itself!

Then you would need the car, seats, wheels, arches, dash, etc etc. The list is endless..

I havent dared add up all the receipts for mine but i would be surprised if it is less than 15k and that is doing everything myself. Granted you can do it a lot cheaper than this if you go for the cheapest bits and pieces but i think realistically a budget of 10-12k would be required.

#5 b3ardyuk

b3ardyuk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:07 PM

http://www.theminihospital.com
I have spoken to mini hospital in Northampton, and have been told that someone has put a R1 engine in the front of a mini. Anyone know anything more about this?

John

#6 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:12 PM

There has never as far as I know been photographic evidence of one! There have been pictures of subframes with an engine in place but bot a fully varified runner...... There are a rumoured few that exist but as for getting a kit to do it good luck! I know of one person (Dave if your reading maybe you could shed some more light on this) in the midst of trying to build/get one working and has been having a bit of trouble to say the least!!

Ade

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

I've seen one in the flesh, at Castle Combe I have a picture on my other computer which I will post later tonight

Cheers
David

Still struggling!

#8 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

Cool would like to actually see a pic of one!!. Have heard all the hear say but never actually seen one! :grin:

Hows yours coming on Dave? Much progress?

Ade

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hello Ade,
Struggling as ever, I think the only way to get the bike engine in, a conventional manner ie not reversed or anything like that (like the piccie I will post later) is to put struts and a different steering arrangement on.

I didn't want to upset the handling/steering of the mini so I'm reluctant to go that way, it doesn't matter which way I turn and twist the motor there just isn't the room to do anything easily

I know struts can work very very well on the front of a mini but I've haven't even got the basic settings, it would have to be a complete guess and hope I could get it to work well with adjustable suspension. Too many unknowns for me, but I need to do something soon

Cheers
David

#10 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:18 PM

Found the picture here it is

Cheers
David

Attached Files

#11 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:25 PM

How did that one go? Is there a specific reason for not wanting to mount it in the same manner as that one?

Hmm guess work..... Always a bit dodgy... but you never know you might get it spot on!???! :grin:

#12 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

Ade,

The engine is running the wrong way now so you need a special transfer box to reverse the direction, sure I can get Quaife to develop and make me one, about £12,000 for a one off. The guy who did this one did his own machining to a heavily modified mini diff I just haven't got the facilities

This is meant to be a fairly cheap way off getting good performance, but getting one off Quaife boxes commissioned is out of the question

It went very well, and off course handle well apart from some ridicoulous speeds into one or two corners that nearly caught him out

David

#13 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

Ahhh fair enough. Why don't you sell some of your collection of bike engines to fund the transfer box :cheese: :tongue:

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:58 PM

Is all that power going through the fron wheels a wise idea?! :erm:

I'll be your crash dummy if you want?!

#15 b3ardyuk

b3ardyuk

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:06 PM

Are people using other motorbike engines?
I would have thought that a Bandit 1200 or the newer 1400 would have been a good choice of motors to use.

Standard Bandit 1200 engine is 114bhp as standard, and with a stage 3, 162 or more is possible (going by my Dads old streetfighter).

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users