9 replies to this topic

#1 tobiasnugent

tobiasnugent

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:31 PM

hello as some of you may know iam currently considering the swift gti engine conversion.
after looking into the price of the swift gti on insurance it is in group 11
and a civic 1.6 VTEC is in group 7 would this mean
a civic 1.6 conversion would be cheaper on the insurance
or the other way round ?

i know your gonna say phone up and ask just seeing if any one knows the difference ?

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Generally, the idea is that the higher the insurance group, the more you pay on the premium. However, I'm currently paying as much on a group 20 car, as I was on a group 12 car last year...

#3 tobiasnugent

tobiasnugent

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

so really insurance groups are just a load of balls haha ?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Most insurance premiums are, IMO, made up out of thin air, and usually depend on when the next full moon is, which direction the wind is blowing, and what Dale Winton's mum last had to eat.

#5 tobiasnugent

tobiasnugent

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

ahah fair play

#6 LilRipperxx

LilRipperxx

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Most insurance premiums are, IMO, made up out of thin air, and usually depend on when the next full moon is, which direction the wind is blowing, and what Dale Winton's mum last had to eat.

LOL!

Insurance Premiums are worked out from 'Homogenous Exposure' ( sorry for the Insurance jargon )
This is basically a collection of statistics showing how many claims there have been for each age, postcode, car, occupation etc ( every question we ask you is refferred back to this data)
This is why Insurance Rates change every month or so, depending on the statistics previously, this is also why you and a friend might have the same car but your insurance could be £200 more - because if anything differs on the policy, depending on the statistics, it could be a lot more highly rated. ( I hope this makes sence! )

#7 Joshmini

Joshmini

I Want To Ride My Bicycle! (Just Not Peddle)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

stuff the swift gti get the 1.6 vtec conversion done :)

#8 Natalie

Natalie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

as far as I know the group doesn't just cover the engine size, things like cost of replacing panels after an accident, how easy they are to break into etc is taken into account too.
So a Swift could be in a higher group because they are easier/more likely to be stolen.
Obviously this wouldn't matter on an engine conversion as you are only using the engine not the shell. The best way to get an accurate idea on the insurance costs would be to call a few brokers.

#9 photographymatt

photographymatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Local Club: shropshire BMC

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

Id say because of your age and sex they would laugh down the phone and say "computer says no" but I thought the same thing but rang up my insurance company and they said putting a 1275 in my car(currently 998) would only be like an extra £20 one off payment if I get it before my renewal and less than £90 extra a year after that. This is before taking into account my one year no claims bonus illhave then thou.

Best advice, phone up a few insurence companys and see what they say about your plans. Most companys are great(only had one bad guy on the phone, was abit of pri*k to be honest) and happy to help with your querys, they work for us at the end of the day and want our money.

#10 tobiasnugent

tobiasnugent

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:04 PM

yer iam gona do it any way i dont mind paying like 2k for insurance its just one of those things really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users