#1 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

hi all
im suddenly having problems with my 93 spi as it seems there is no fuel getting to the engine.
i cant even hear anything like the fuel pump starting when the ignition is on II
it turns over bu does not start
any ideas?
thanks
alex

#2 daz-lee

daz-lee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: abingdon mini club / ni-minis

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

have you checked all your fuse's i think it one off the bottom 2 if they are ok ckeck your inertia switch as this is the fuel pump cut off switch (its in the engine bay pass side next to a relay) other than that check its getting power

hope this helps

daz

#3 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

you said to check the cut off switch but what am i checking for?
thanks
alex

#4 daz-lee

daz-lee

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Local Club: abingdon mini club / ni-minis

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

push it in and make sure it come back up,
then turn the key see if you can hear the fuel pump,
if not pull the wiring plug out and join the 2 wire's togerther with a wire.
there is also a inline fuse behide the air filter housing.
one off them should work .

hope this helps.

Daz

#5 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

i have now tried that and nothing happened any other ideas?
thanks

#6 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

i have now tried that and nothing happened any other ideas?
thanks

Sounds like your pump has died. Mine went on my 2000 mpi recently & I had to replace it.

#7 datsun100a

datsun100a

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: www.mini-chat.co.uk

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

Had this problem on my spi, turned out to be the crank sensor connector. If the ecu does not get a signal from the crank sensor it won't energise the pump circuit. Worth a try.....

#8 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

how do i check the crank sensor? does anyone know where i can get a new pump if it is the pump?
thanks again

#9 datsun100a

datsun100a

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:45 AM

You can run a 12v supply to the pump directly if you want to check it. Check the sensor connector first make sure it is no corroded etc, mine had been plugged in the wrong way round for some reason. The sensor will have an associated resistance, I don't know what it is but a good check is to make sure it is not open circuit with a meter. I don't think they have a poor reliability record but you never know. Someone here might know what the resistance should be.

#10 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

This is an increasingly common fault on injection Mini's. It's down to one of 5 things. The fuel pump, inertia cut off switch, fuel pump relay, fuse or a dodgy connection.

This post is one I started and finished a while ago when having the same problem on my MPi. For all intents and puropses, the fuel circuit is the same on SPi's and MPi's.

Hope it helps!

#11 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

i have just tested the plug at the top of the fuel tank with a basic circuit tester and the light inside doesnt seem to light so i think it may be a case of no power is getting to the pump
any ideas?

#12 datsun100a

datsun100a

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Have you checked the sensor connector, and checked for resistence?

#13 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:02 PM

i have just tested the plug at the top of the fuel tank with a basic circuit tester and the light inside doesnt seem to light so i think it may be a case of no power is getting to the pump
any ideas?

You'll only get juice to the pump when the engine is running or cranking. Apart from a slight surge on ignition as it pressurises the system. I tested mine by hotwiring the horn connector to the pump connector on the inertia switch, then sat in the car, pressed the horn button to see if it worked. Might sound long winded, but it only means shoving a bit of flex in the positive feed pin to the horn and the other end in the positve feed pin to the pump. Dirty bodge but easy and foolproof!

If it works, then you need to get your test meter out and check continuity from the relay module to the inertia switch. If that's ok, it's looking like a suspect relay pack, which quite often go tits up. Only real way to check the relay is to cut it open, as it's glued shut, then watch the relays move. Sometimes, the contacts just need a clean.

Hope that helps!

#14 alex.j.richardson

alex.j.richardson

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

i have used power from the spotlight relay and i get a light on the circuit tester but no pump noise when i turn the engine over
by the way which side of the inertia switch plug is positive? as i may have just been making a small circuit which does nothing but make a small light go on lol. my curcuit tester is just basically a screw driver with a light inside which tells me when there is a current flowing through the circuit. looks like this:
Attached File  screwdriver.jpg   13.92K   9 downloads

thanks for all your help so far

#15 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

I'm a little confused as to what you've been doing with the spotlight relay. You'll have to check the haynes for the correct wire colours to check, but on my MPi, there is a Brown/Grey which goes from the relay module (black blox above the brake servo) into the loom to the inertia switch (via a fuse), then exits the switch as a White/Purple and goes directly to the fuel pump. If you haven't got a Haynes then it shouldn't be too difficult to work out which is which. Just unplug the connector on top of the pump and you'll have black or white/black, which is the ground, and another one which is the 12v supply from the inertia switch.

Personally I wouldn't bother with your electrical screwdriver. You can pick up cheapy test meters for under a tenner which will easily tell you where you have and haven't got volts, how good your earth is and also whether or not there are any breaks in any of your wires. I still say you need to find a away of shoving 12v straight up the loom to the pump from the pump side of the inertia switch (the plug should just come off the bottom of the switch). Then just listen for it whirring away. If it doesn't whirr, then you'r pump is knackered, or it's not earthing properly (black wire on top of the pump should ground to one of the rear light clusters in the boot. Make sure they're all clean and un-crudded).

If it does power up ok under a perm 12v supply, then it's probably a knackered relay module, although in my case, it was a loose connection in the loom.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users