17 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hi, have been thinking about getting the KAD magnesium alloys to go under some carbon fibre miglia archs for quite a while and am very close to going through with it. Just want to check a couple of things first.

1. Am I right in thinking miglia archs are generally 3.5" wide?

2. The offset on the wheels is ET-22, what does this mean, can I calculate how much he wheel will stick out from the hub from this?

3. I'm going to be getting 10x7 wheels, but because they only weigh 2.5kg each and I have alloy calipers, do I have to worry about the strain on the steering rack?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

ET means 'einpresstiefe' which means insertion depth in german, so in that case the insertion depth (OFFSET) is 22mm, other more knowledgable members will be able to help you further

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

Some maths then, I'm guessing that if the wheel is 7" wide, then the wheel will stick out 7" -22mm from the hub?!

Is the offset measured from the back or front of the wheel (I'm think its the back), to the back or front of the spoke?

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

its measured from the surface of the wheel mount to the centre line of the outside rim, so if you were to cut a rim in half, the distance from the top of the centre of the rim inwards to the wheel mounting surface would give you the offset in milimeters

as for the first comment, if the offset is 22mm then the wheel will sit +22mm from the hub, which means that it would sit 7inches + 22mm from the hub

Edited by Madmax, 27 June 2005 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

The offset is mesured from the mounting face that bolts to the hub (the hub side of the face) I think??

*edit*
Here have a read of this Offset info

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Shame on you all... In the FAQ... clicky

#7 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

Incidentally Miglia arches are EXTREMELY wide, but the thing about them is that they can be cut down to whatever width you want, so can cover almost any width of wheel...

#8 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

P.S. Guessworks, about that FAQ are you sure positive and negative offsets are the right way round? I always believed that inset (what metro wheels have) is negative offset rather than positive. Guess I was wrong :D
And also, Metro wheels DO fit fine on the front of disc braked cars. On the back, it depends on the wheel and tyre combo since they tend to run very close to the radius arm (my 12x5 pepperpots with 155/70 tyres rub a tiny bit, 3mm spacer would fix it, so would fitting 145/70 rubber probly). In the front, fitting metro wheels will give very neutral handling by the way, since the centre of the rim will be a lot closer to the balljoints than is the case with typical mini offsets. Also makes steering easier, and reduces bumpsteer.

#9 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:56 PM

I have absolutly know idea about any of this but i do love those kad wheels!

Are you gonna get the centre lock quick release thing as well?!!!

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:17 AM

I don't know whether they have the center quick release, I'm getting them from a Miglia car, so technically I should be able to get miglia archs? Or do miglias have a wider track or spacers or something?

#11 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:30 AM

humm if either me or jammy didnt know that was there theres something wrong, i only know what i know because of my job, perhaps there should be an easier way to find the brilliant FAQ's that the teams done?

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:33 AM

*whispers to Madmax and subtley points in the direction of this section!*

#13 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:40 AM

hehehe, bluemini forgot too...

ah well, at least you're sorted eh

runs away embarrased :fear:

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:53 AM

He he,

Anyway, back to my last question, how do Miglias get the wheels soo wide? Is it just the offset of there wheels, or do they use spacers or something?

Does anyone even know, or is it like the magicians circle where only Miglia racer know?!

#15 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

miglia cars have a serious offset that apparently a road car would not withstand for too long, im sure theres another way of filling miglias without putting stress on anything though (runs and hides before spacers debate begins) :fear:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users