#1 vtec_miniestate

vtec_miniestate

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Local Club: Torbay Mini Club

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

I am midway through planning my clubman estate vtec conversion. I'm looking at all the subframe kits and just seem to be a bit bogged down on which one to choose... so i'm looking for some advice >_<

The only must about this project is that I have to be able to fit standard 10" wheels

What options do i have...

Ta all

>_<

#2 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

What options do i have...

Ta all

:gimme:

for 10" wheels you have a choice of brakes. 7.9" minisport calipers fit most. or then theres KAD 4 pots.

#3 vtec_miniestate

vtec_miniestate

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

I have a set of cooper s discs would these work or are they not powerful enough?

also what subframe do you suggest? Through reading posts i get the feeling i shouldn't use a watson kit as it uses metro parts.... i think :gimme:

#4 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

they stop the 310 bhp turbo monster well enough.

personally i would get 10 inch split rims with a high offset.

fit the biggest brakes you can!

#5 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

they stop the 310 bhp turbo monster well enough.

personally i would get 10 inch split rims with a high offset.

fit the biggest brakes you can!

How big an offset do you mean?

Edited by RacingGreen, 06 September 2008 - 11:02 PM.

#6 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

as big as realisticly posible.

#7 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:50 AM

if you want to go with 10's then realistically you should be looking a alloy 4pots on vented discs. 4pots will give you a bigger swept area. cooper "s" setup even with a decent pad compund will be marginal. the factor here is that you will be running a heavier engine package over the front wheels.

that 310bhp mini might have 310 but he doesn't drive it at 310bhp . virtually undrivable on full boost

#8 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

A huge dished wheel would surely increase scrub radius, which would create torque steer.

When i collected my subframe for my c20xe from allspeed. rob told me that if i wanted to use 10"s then i should be looking at 6" wide rims. As anything bigger would create a big scrub radius, causing the above problem.

#9 vtec_miniestate

vtec_miniestate

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thats good because i'm gonna use 10x6, I really didn't want to change the wheels as they are very rare and i just spent £250 hving 5 of them refurbished!

From this

Posted Image

to this :D

Posted Image

#10 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

the factor here is that you will be running a heavier engine package over the front wheels.

im not entirely sure thats true. if i were to compare the weight of an A series setup and the honda vtec i wouldnt say there was much difference in it. the engines themselves are similar in weight so all in all i dont think the vtec car would much heavier when finished.

#11 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

A huge dished wheel would surely increase scrub radius, which would create torque steer.

thats why you need to invest in a quaiffe lsd.

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

Ignore the offset, getting the 'biggest' offset possible is just going to wear your balljoints, and eventually your wheel bearings, plus the handling won't be that great, which like your braking isn't something you want to compromise on a vehicle with over 250bhp per tonne. If you can afford them get the KAD 6 pots, you can mount these radially and so you should be able to get them under your wheels on a 7.6-7.9" disc, plus they have a HUGE pad area and give great braking power. If you want to be track-daying this car then I'd say the Cooper S brakes will be marginal, if you just want a fast road car, then for most of the time they'll be fine, unless you live in a particular hilly/mountainous area.

As for the weights. The B series is easily a good 30kg heavier than the A series, if your going for the D series the difference in weight is marginal.

#13 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

OP said VTEC hence why the earlier assumption of a heavier engine.

KAD 6POTS are at least £600 pr compared to minispares alloy 4pots £300 PR :proud:

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Some D series engines are still Vtec.

6 pots will fit under those wheels, 4 pots might not, and personally 4 pots aren't a huge amount better than Cooper S, other than a little bit lighter (though that mass is removed from the unsprung mass, so twice as good). KAD 6 pots will fit under those wheels, and will give you just about the best braking you can get with 10" wheels. £300 extra isn't a great deal of money when compared to spending £300-450 on brakes, hubs, etc, £600 on a Quaife LSD, £750 on split rims, etc. But as I say, it all depends on the application, a B series with Cooper S or Alloy 4 pots will be fine for general fast road usage.

#15 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

Some D series engines are still Vtec.

You may as well make that your signature jammy you have to say it so often! :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users