27 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Probably been asked before, but the search is next to useless as it won't let me search for the 1 in 'stage 1' sooo...
Has anybody else on here had a stage 1 kit fitted as a new driver with no no claims, and how much more did it cost you on insurance? Only thing stopping me getting one for when im 17 now, apart from a slight lack of funds.. :o

#2 Jimmy Hat

Jimmy Hat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Mid afternoon bump...

#3 Lund

Lund

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Probably been asked before, but the search is next to useless as it won't let me search for the 1 in 'stage 1' sooo...
Has anybody else on here had a stage 1 kit fitted as a new driver with no no claims, and how much more did it cost you on insurance? Only thing stopping me getting one for when im 17 now, apart from a slight lack of funds.. :dontgetit:

Don't bother, costs too much to set it up correctly. My view. - Can you tell Im having problems? ;D

#4 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Why don't you ring and ask yourself?

The drivers' locations etc are major factor in determining the prices quoted by insurance companies. They are individual to each person so nobody can tell you exactly.

And if you have no money to buy the stage 1 kit, I wouldn't bother as you can't fit one and not have it rolling roaded or you would have wasted your money anyway!!

Edited by minislapper, 18 September 2008 - 04:30 PM.

#5 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

My mini came with stage one and i got insured fine. The secret to insuring a modded mini at a young age is classic insurance.

If you buy the correct stage one kit and specify the right carb etc setting up should be a breeze at any half decent rolling road

#6 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

My mini came with stage one and i got insured fine. The secret to insuring a modded mini at a young age is classic insurance.

If you buy the correct stage one kit and specify the right carb etc setting up should be a breeze at any half decent rolling road

Insuring a car from scratch is different to having a policy and modifying the car.

A lot of companies will not insure young drivers on a classic policy!

#7 Mini_the_Minx

Mini_the_Minx

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

All depends who you go to reali. My first Mini was a Racing Green with alloys, K n N and various bits and I was insured for £700. Of course where its parked, area, etc are major factors but alls you can do is a ring around. I would suggest Adrian Flux but I think your too young. Give Kwik Fit a call, I always recommend them as they are so cheap and very helpful bunch too!

#8 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

A lot of companies will not insure young drivers on a classic policy!

Where do people get that idea from? I was 17 when i first insured mine on a classic policy.

Even if it were the case that most companies won't insure you then its not really a problem because theres companies out there that will

#9 Rhyd

Rhyd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil Minis (Warwickshire)

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Where do people get that idea from?

The fact that every classic policy I've ever seen requires the driver to be 25 or over, the car to be a second vehicle, and usually a mileage limit.

Edited by Rhyd, 18 September 2008 - 04:44 PM.

#10 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

The fact that every classic policy I've ever seen requires the driver to be 25 or over, the car to be a second vehicle, and usually a mileage limit.

No - Most websites say you must be over 25 but when you read the small print, thats for an online quote. If your younger you need to ring.

I'm insured with Footman James - It says over 25 only - But thats only for purchasing insurance online.

#11 minislapper

minislapper

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

But as with this, and all the other threads in the past, nobody wants to pick up the phone these days. Hence, why there are lots of this type of post asking the same question again and again!!

PICK UP THE PHONE AND ASK!!!!

#12 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Yeah i do agree - With insurance you need to ring up to get an accurate quote - You can't really go off what anybody else is paying.

Ring up before you buy and fit the kit to make sure its all good.

#13 sazal

sazal

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Ring them! My insuance wanted to know what power increase it was, so I said about 8bhp...

Ive had troubles with my stage 1 too ;D

#14 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

To be fair I was insured on a classic policy on both my minis at age 21 and 22, albeit with a mileage limit but I only put that to make it cheaper, I think they'd have still insured me if I hadn't put restricted mileage.

Anyway like minislapper said it's best for you to ring your insurer, it'll take 5 minutes to get a definitive answer usually, instead of posting on here where it'll take hours and you wont get a definitive answer.

#15 asahartz

asahartz

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

I've also found that quotes can vary from day to day! When we switched Holly's Mini to her name (that's the car that's wearing your old wheels by the way Mike!) we were given a very good quote by Admiral and nobody else could get close. Two weeks later we phoned to take up the quote and they quoted us another £50 less!

For what it's worth Holly's 18 and is in her first year after taking her test - be warned that it usually goes up after passing your test!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users