#1 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:36 AM

hi, my steering wheel has a problem.

errm... you have to have it at a 45 degree angle to make the wheels go straight.

is it possible to take it off or sort it out somehow?

because when driving along i have to lean forward to see the instruments - not a safe thing to do while travelling at 70 odd along the road.

the pic shows the position of the steering wheel with the wheels turned to the left

#2 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 10:08 AM

Mine does the same, except you have to turn it the other way, i just assumed it was somthing bent, if there is a way to straighten it up, id be interested too,
pEaCE
Dom

#3 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:10 PM

i had this problem, i had the wheels lined up and still never fixed it, but the way to fit it is so simple you will be kicking yourself. inside the car, pull up the drivers and passengers carpet and u should see 2 13mm bolts on both sides that are a few inches away from each other give them a tighten and get back to me LOL

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

there is an easy or a complicated cure for this problem we will start with the easy way, drive your car forward for about 5m in a straight line. remove the steering wheel from the column, reposition in correct position, and then refit, turn s/wheel fully to right counting amount of turn. return to centre position, then turn left counting turns, if they are the same no problem happy driving.

if they are out then unless you have a means to adjust your tracking, pop down to your local garage and get it checked.

if it is non of the above then carefully look at your cars set up and all ball joints..

#5 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:05 AM

My Mini does the same???

Strange!

#6 paulbin

paulbin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:22 PM

no its a loose steering rack just tighten up the nuts before u start spendin money

#7 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:48 PM

try em all :tongue:

#8 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:25 PM

thanks people

i will do when i find the time for the next 2 weeks ive got sh!t loads of a/s csw to do

#9 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 03:50 PM

just lign teh wheels up straight and then take the wheel off and put it back on. sorted :)

#10 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 06:19 PM

just lign teh wheels up straight and then take the wheel off and put it back on. sorted :)

If you do this , also you need to turn your steering wheel lock to lock from the ahead position to make sure you have equal amounts each side , If one TRE is screewed in further than the other one wheel may touch the inner arch and the other side may not get full lock !

#11 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 07:23 PM

aye that was assuming taht the tracing and steering geom is all correct.

#12 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

yeah that is, jus have to take it off an d put it on correctly, prob do it this week.

#13 mini7racer

mini7racer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:17 PM

when taking it off undo the centre nut all the way, and then screw it back on one turn. now apply a little oil to the spindle amkes it come off and go back ona little easier. now grab the wheel at top and bottom and wiggle and pull. this should loosen it. if not give the middle of the spindle a quick whack (not too hard) with a hammer just to loosen things) now when you pull you will find the wheel suddenly comes off. (hence leaving the nut on a little, if you dont you get a sore head at least) then lign up straight and put back on, now tighten up the nut and your done, just remember to check the nut again in a weeks time

Karl.

#14 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

ok i shud be sortin this this weekend

#15 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:17 PM

Does anyone know what size it that nut that holds the steering wheel on? It looks huge and I dont think i have anything that size, I might have to buy something. Ive got a new mountney leather wheel coming, and would like it on straight, hehe.
thanks
pEaCE
Dom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users