4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hi guys and girls,

I'm thinking about fitting a rear spot light like this one:

Posted Image

first question is where can i get one like this or do i just buy a pair of spot lamps, and does it need to be a special beam pattern?

secondly, How would i wire it into the existing reverse light circuit while still keeping the 2 origional lights in use and would it be legal to have this fitted allong with the 2 reverseing lights i already have on my car (1988 Designer)

lastly, would it be legal to have it wired up on its own circuit so that i could turn it on at any time, i know it wouldnt be legal to have it on while driving forwards, but i would quite like to have it wired up so i can use it as a spot light when im camping etc.

Thanks

Chris

#2 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

you've spent the last 2 hour talking to the person who can do all of this and show u how u muppet !!!!!!!

#3 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

you've spent the last 2 hour talking to the person who can do all of this and show u how u muppet !!!!!!!

i still dont know if it would be road legal or not though, which is the main problem, and you never told me you knew how to do it!

#4 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

hahahhahahahahahahaha SPANNER MONKEY

if the mk1 minis had them as an extra u can be sure theyre legal

#5 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

That is flawed logic at it's best. Just because something was legal in the past does not make it legal now.

#6 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:17 PM

i reject your reality and subsiquenty subject my own

thanks to mythbuster for explaining my logic

i think outside the box / at angles

#7 Miniholic

Miniholic

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Yorkshire

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

That is flawed logic at it's best. Just because something was legal in the past does not make it legal now.

I've got one on my mini, the lamp you need (well the one in the pic) is a lucas 576 fog lamp, moss used to sell these, but they aren't cheap.

As to the legality, simple answer is they aren't. Mine passes an MOT ok with it, but its for show only. I do have it wired to the reverse circuit as I've converted to Mk1 rear lamps, but I can switch it off manually. A reversing light isn't a legal requirement for MOT though so its not an issue.

Wait a minute, Mk1 minis had black and silver plates, must be able to get some for my '95 one. :D

Edited by Miniholic, 07 April 2009 - 04:26 PM.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

No they aren't legal as reverse lamps. You can wire it in as a work lamp providing it is not used on the road, it will have to be on a seperate switch that has a tell-tale circuit. I personally am sure these lamps are legal when used in this way (more accurately I can't find a law that this will break but I could well be wrong) however one of our members has recently said he was forced to remove his after VOSA got involved. He has yet to provide us with a copy of VOSA's rejection of his appeal that will clarify things. So do it if you like but don't use it on the road whatever you do.

To further the above 'logic', these lamps weren't an optional extra on Mk1 Minis, they were reverse lamps on the Works Rally cars for use when rallying. They have never been legal on the road in the UK. The only bulbs available for them are too powerful for use as a reverse lamp and on later cars (including your '88 Designer) reverse lamps are required to be E marked which these are not.

Edited by Dan, 07 April 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#9 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Thanks dan, thats great,

can i claify, it wouldnt be road legal to have it as a reverse light, but it would be legal to have it as a 'work lamp' as long as it is on a 'tell tale circuit'?

This could make me look stupid, but its worth knowing...

I'm not exactly sure what constitutes a 'tell tale circuit' im assumeing its a circuit, that makes it obvious that the exteriour light is on?

Would a 'missile' style cover be an adiquate tell tale, because the red cover would only be up if the light was on, and if it was down there would be no way of accidently turning it on?

Thanks Chris

#10 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

you mean a rocker switch with a red cover lol yeh

#11 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

you mean a rocker switch with a red cover lol yeh

Maplin call it a missile cover. :D

but yer

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

Well whether they are red or not they are called knock-off switch guards or switch safety guards usually.

This sort of thing usually requires a closed circuit tell-tale which means a warning lamp. If you were wiring it as a reverse lamp with an independant switch (rather than a gearbox controlled switch) it would need the same thing. Having said that the regulations don't actually call for a tell-tale for a work lamp. Every installation I've ever seen has a tell-tale though and it makes sense to have one since it would be very illegal to have the lamp on in any other capacity than 'to illuminate works in the vicinity of the vehicle'. The regulations for a work lamp are very vague and it seems as though a lamp is defined as a work lamp if it's used to light up work and nothing more. The regulations don't say what vehicles may have a work lamp either, lots of similar regulations limit the use of certain lamps to classes of vehicle such as road maintenance or agricultural but work lamps are left open.

#13 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

Cheers Dan, that is great info, how the hell do you know all this stuff!?

so your saying legally, i can just have it on a switch with a knock-off switch guard?

Thanks

Chris

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:53 PM

As far as I understand the regulations yes but I'm not a lawyer or vehicle inspector and the information that someone has been told to remove this setup from his car by VOSA is worrying. I don't have all the details about it yet.

It would be a good idea to have a tell-tale lamp to avoid possible prosecution if you forget it's on. It's having it switched on at the wrong time that is specifically illegal, it has an exemption from the 'must not permit to be used on the road' clause as long as it is used as a work lamp but if it's not lighting work it's illegal.

Edited by Dan, 08 April 2009 - 11:55 PM.

#15 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

As far as I understand the regulations yes but I'm not a lawyer or vehicle inspector and the information that someone has been told to remove this setup from his car by VOSA is worrying. I don't have all the details about it yet.

It would be a good idea to have a tell-tale lamp to avoid possible prosecution if you forget it's on.

ok, in that case then, my next question would be how do you wire in a seperate tell tale lamp, ie, one that isnt part of the switch.

thanks again,

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users