Photo
- - - - -

Removal Of Heater,, Will It Still Pass Mot?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 THedooBZ

THedooBZ

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

hey guys im removing my heater due to it not working,, the matrix is fine,, cooling system on the engine is fine,, but it just seems to be really cool all the time even after a good run,, im quite happy at this as my engine isnt overheating..

would i get pulled up at MOT time for not having one fitted??

#2 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

Dont know about the MOT but if you had an Air lock in the Matrix then it will only blow colded, I would try it again bleed the air out. also you will need demisters of some sort.

#3 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Is water flowing into it? Is the heater valve working?

It'll fail an MOT i think because you have to have some sort of window demister i think.

Edited by minimadmike, 17 March 2008 - 08:09 PM.

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

Nope you don’t need on for the mot

To save massing around with the heater pipes too much, just join the ends of the hoses inside the car, so when you do get another heater that works you can easily re-plum it back in.

#5 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

Nope you don’t need on for the mot

As people have said, you need some way of demisting the windscreen, so it would fail.

#6 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

No, the heater has no part in the MOT whatsoever, removing it won't fail the test but probably isn't a good idea anyway due to not having a demister, it may be blowing cold but that's better then nothing

#7 Gilly2006

Gilly2006

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:12 PM

no the heater is nothing to do with the mot at all!! so it would pass.

#8 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

But - in a mini the heater - IS THE DEMISTER. If he removes it and doesn't install some other form of demister then it'll fail!

If he leaves it in but just lowing cold air then it'll still pass

#9 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

But - in a mini the heater - IS THE DEMISTER. If he removes it and doesn't install some other form of demister then it'll fail!

If he leaves it in but just lowing cold air then it'll still pass

I've been testing for long enough now (10 plus years) to know the heater and demister doesn't have any bearing on the test, the demister could also be a chamois cloth sat on the dashboard, but i won't be testing those either. Trust me it won't fail the MOT test, but it's not a good idea anyway, not only for the lack of demisting but also it would take away about a quarter of the cooling capacity too. Not a test failure point, not a good idea.

#10 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

hmm i must be thinking of an SVA test. I know people with Zcars minis fit electric heaters to get round the demisting part of the SVA tests.

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:53 PM

cam' you may have been testing for 10 years, but does everyone stick to every part religiously? its highly unlikly...scruiteneer testers are spost to pick up on everything but it varys between each tester, what one person never looks for, for another might always look for it
not ment to offend you by the way.
iv heared of the de-misting for SVA and MOT before

#12 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Yes, the SVA does require some form of demisting, hasn't filtered down to the MOT test just yet (they're too busy making up registration plate rules instead of safety ones) i'd guess it probably wont, due to the fact a lot of early classic cars never had any heating, and it was an option on some up to the late sixties too (some series landrovers for example)

#13 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:59 PM

cam' you may have been testing for 10 years, but does everyone stick to every part religiously? its highly unlikly...scruiteneer testers are spost to pick up on everything but it varys between each tester, what one person never looks for, for another might always look for it
not ment to offend you by the way.
iv heared of the de-misting for SVA and MOT before

Bearing in mind i have to do a Q.C. check on the other testers at my station once a month, i know exactly what is and isn't a reason for rejection, for the proper term, and the correct testing methods, trust me, heating isn't one of them yet, but probably should be if fitted as standard.

#14 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html

#15 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

cam' you may have been testing for 10 years, but does everyone stick to every part religiously?

An MOT tester can't just decide he's going to test you on something that isn't testable. If it's not part of the test it may not be a reason for a fail. People often say that things like driving lights must work if fitted and the spare wheel must be serviceable. In reality these are all just myths that most of us get told when we first pass our driving test and none of them are part of the MOT. The tester is allowed to tell you that such things need your attention but may not fail you for them. The MOT is the law and must be applied as a law should be, scrutineering isn't.

The construction and use regulations for your car require a demister to be fitted, it is not part of the MOT to inspect it. The MOT does not certify that your car is road legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users