#46 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:11 AM

Great work on it all. Also dynamat looks v tidy, was it a pain to get it to fit in all the cracks?

i dont know about you but i planned a summer project for my kit. and just my luck it ends up takings most of its time over the winter and its bloody freezing. haha oh well! Keep it up ull be done for when the weather clears up thats for sure!

Yep I planned a summer project but there were delays that meant I couldnt collect until October. Yes it is feckin freezing working on the it, I managed to get the garage up to the heady heights of 13 degrees celsius for two days then the gas ran out and I was back down to 9 which took the cold bite off the metal but you could still see your breath, it was -1 outside.

Dynamat - use a heat gun when applying and one of the dynamat rollers or similar and you get good results, apart from the bits were you cant get the roller due to frame being in the way. Beware of sitting on the dynamat once it place as the black stuff sticks like sh!t to a blanket and is now firmly stuck to the ar5e of my trousers.

I am aiming for completion by the L2B in May, unfortunately I wont be able to do anything to the car in Feb as I am having a back operation which means no work for a month and no touching the car. In a twisted way I am looking forward to it as it means when I do get back to working on the car it wont hurt like f*ck any more, building a car and a bad back do not go well. I have to find things that other peole can do for me for a month.

Edited by cptkirk, 06 January 2009 - 11:13 AM.

#47 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

hope your op goes to plan and you can crack on as soon as poss. back pain is a real setback to say the least! all teh best with that...

Yeah ill watch out for the black sticky stuff although i ruined many clothes already getting my car to where it is. ha so no problem. looks like ill have to get my hands on one of these rollers.

Also liking the macro close up shots you taken there of all those parts, got some camera skills it would seem.

Cheers ill watch this space

#48 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

I have been quiet on here for a while as I have been flat out trying to get as much done as poss before I go under the knife on Thursday.

So here goes, if you to come in to my garage and look you would probably say that I hadnt done a thing as I am in the midst of doing all the little jobs that take the time and look like you ahve achieved next to nothing.

So the car took a trip down from Notts to West Sussex exactly two weeks ago today, and is now living in my tiny little single garage in which I dont even have the room to swing a mouse, never mind about a cat. Still it is nice and cosy and I can get the temperature up to something near comfortable now.

So I made a start on mounting the fuse board/wiring loom (AKA 'The Snakes Wedding') and mounting the reservoir for the pedal box.

Bent up some ali sheet for the fuse board to live on (note the pedal box is out - again):
Posted Image

Made a mounting bracket for the reservoir:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I went about mounting the fuse board:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And over last weekend I have been moutning the engine wiring loom and making steps towards watertighting the rear bulkhead, a few snaps for a flavour:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Blitz-Voodoo

Blitz-Voodoo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

Oh my god. What a good read. The Mini looks amazing.

What power you looking for?

#50 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Aiming for 300BHP and 200ft/lb torque. Thats what this setup is getting in the Elises, however the exhaust is slightly different and I have a few other bits that may help me get there. Later down the line I intend to intercool and get a few more ponies from it but thats a bit of a way off.

#51 Radleigh

Radleigh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

Simply awesome.

That is all. :P

#52 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Looking good Andy!

#53 crispy

crispy

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

This mini... Is everything I want my mini to be when i finish school lol

#54 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

whilst laid up after my back op I have been designing an air deflector for my supercharger that will allow me to blow the air away to a PWR barrel air to water chargecooler (PWR Barrel I/C's), so here are a few rendering of the unit, to give and idea of size the tube has an OD of 63mm. The whole unit is designed to sit between the charger and the manifold, it does add a bit more to the vertical center of gravity of the car but gives cooler, denser air and ultimately more power. I am also looking into different ways to intercool the charger, if anyone knows of any let me know.

The holes in the side and the use of two plates will (in theory) reduce the amount of heat transfer from the hot air blowing out the charger to the cooled air coming in from the chargecooler. The first picture is a quick reminder of where the charger sits, the bent pipe will come out under the drive snout of the charger and the barrel chargecooler will sit underneath the manifold, will be a squeeze though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 brandon7

brandon7

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Looks cool, trying to make sense of it! Hope your back sorts its self out quick and you can get off the computer and into the garage! Cheers
Mark

#56 PhotoguyUSA

PhotoguyUSA

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Local Club: MOALA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Nice job Andy!

Get well soon!

#57 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww :) ;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: your car has blown my mind

the details are perfect the quality of the exhuast the finish of the paint i was literally guawping at the sight of it

you are for one , one of my mini Heros

this car will not ever be forgotten in my head and makes me even more driven toward my eventual goal of my rwd, front engined wankle powered mini :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thank you you've reminded me why i love cars and why i wake up in the morning
good luck sir !!

#58 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

Looks cool, trying to make sense of it! Hope your back sorts its self out quick and you can get off the computer and into the garage! Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark, One good thing to come out of it is that I get to rip the charger unit from the manifold and have a really good look around it, always nice to eat you breakfast/lunch/dinner while staring at a supercharger on the kitchen table. Misses not that happy about it but she knows its not for ever.

Nice job Andy!

Get well soon!

Hey Lyle, thanks. I have been drawing up other bits n bobs, might post up new throttle cable mount (to throttle body) later on.

I have also designed an air oil separator but will wait to see how effective it is before posting drawings as I might make some money on the design??!!?? Trust me when I say it will be better than these bullcrap catch cans you get off ebay which do virtually sweet FA. I need as cleaner as as possible as it all goes through the charger so the PCV valve and the cam/valve cover both need to go through an air oil spearator.

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww :) :P :lol: :D :gimme: your car has blown my mind

the details are perfect the quality of the exhuast the finish of the paint i was literally guawping at the sight of it

you are for one , one of my mini Heros

this car will not ever be forgotten in my head and makes me even more driven toward my eventual goal of my rwd, front engined wankle powered mini :P :D :)

thank you you've reminded me why i love cars and why i wake up in the morning
good luck sir !!

Thankyou kind Sir for your words of appreciation.

I have wanted a car like this since I was 16 so it only took me the best part of twenty years to get there, never give up on your dreams. :thumbsup:

Edited by cptkirk, 17 February 2009 - 08:14 AM.

#59 cptkirk

cptkirk

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

Here is a copy of the drawing for my new throttle cable mount, it brings the angle of the cable down by about 30 degrees, the previous angle was necessary in the civic to allow the cable to sit on top of stuff in the engine bay but no longer needed.

I must say that I havent fitted this yet so dont know how effective it is or if there are any issues with it so if any of you decide to copy it, your on your own. However feel free to of you think it might help in some way.

Posted Image

#60 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

what design softwear do you use? its all looking rather nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users